PDA

View Full Version : Throtle lever sliding off shaft

Mikey
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
The last time I used my boat I had the throtle lever sliding off of the splines on the shaft in the controls. It doesnt come completely off but it slides off of the splines far enough that it doesnt grab anything and making it dangerous because if it comes off when Im moving I cant throtle up or down until I fiddle with it to put it back on the shaft. Any suggestions on what part is missing/broken to cause this kind of problem?

TMCNo1
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
The last time I used my boat I had the throtle lever sliding off of the splines on the shaft in the controls. It doesnt come completely off but it slides off of the splines far enough that it doesnt grab anything and making it dangerous because if it comes off when Im moving I cant throtle up or down until I fiddle with it to put it back on the shaft. Any suggestions on what part is missing/broken to cause this kind of problem?

Can you show us a picture of your throttle?
There are a couple types and someone may have one like yours that can respond. Most have a pin near the base of the handle that may be worn, broke or missing and can be replaced quite easily by finding one at your local hardware store or check and see if there is a setscrew that is loose if it has one that holds the handle on.

jimmer2880
09-20-2006, 06:45 AM
on my '95, there is a tiny set-screw which keeps the throttle lever on the shaft. Sounds like yours is extremely loose, or missing.