PDA

View Full Version : Seagrams 7...

M-Funf
09-19-2006, 12:39 PM
O.K. guys (and gals). I really would have liked to attend MM 2.whatever, but after looking at some of the projects I had going on, I thought it better to stay and try to finish some stuff up...

Anyway, long story short, I spent a couple of weeks tearing out some interior walls and ceiling in a closet. While tearing out the closet ceiling, I found a space that had been sealed off for a long time. I found all kinds of "stuff" up there, including these...

This is looking up at the ceiling through the lath:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/ped454288dcc9137d78e135460e95df6e/ece79e82.jpg

and there wasn't just one...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p264355cf94839c46cabdec41e6430116/ece7a2a2.jpg

HB, you ever drink any of this?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p78d2f053fd1b3c51363b7404cd6328bc/ece7a287.jpg

M-Funf
09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I also found some curious items...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p1120415faa172c115b883b4eca1ceba5/ece7a257.jpg

I wonder what this might be...;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/p421e3eea5f6d7027055a67d60bdf7de4/ece7a20c.jpg

I also found two magazines from 1930 and 1931, a stamped, postmarked letter to the previous owners of the home postmarked Fresno in 1920, a lletter from an attorney dated 1931 stating that the previous owner owed somebody $281.37, and various clothing items from the same era.

Anybody know how I can date the bottles of Seagram's?

Oh, and if you have Chilblain, I've got the cure...:rolleyes:

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Sounds like the closet of the teenage son's room! :)

Mikey
09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Thats pretty cool. Keep digging you might find some big wads of cash burried within those walls. People didnt trust banks back then.

Maristar210
09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Wow Interesting stuuf for sure. I love that old nostalgic stuff. Let me know if you want to sell any of it.

Steve

M-Funf
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
We're going to donate the local pharmacy items and the magazines to the Petaluma museum. I'm trying to find out the age of the Seagram's bottles before I chuck 'em.

We've already contacted the previous owners to see if they want the letter...

Next month, we're replacing the roof. It's still got the original cedar shake roof on it...from 1904...with comp shingle over that. I'm sure we'll find some interesting stuff in the attic. I've already warned the roofing company to watch their step...

Maristar210
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Good idea in putting them in a Museum. I was hoping you would not toss them.

Steve

TMCNo1
09-19-2006, 01:28 PM
From what I have seen and know about antiques, you may have some money there. Collectors would give bunches for the medical bottles alone, especially if there is still stuff in them. Do a Google search on Antique Bottles and related stuff and see what you find. I don't think I would chunk or donate them, except for the Segram 7 bottles till I found out what thay may be worth. A lot of people make gobs of money on old stuff other people throw away.

Tryin-again
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
From what I have seen and know about antiques, you may have some money there. Collectors would give bunches for the medical bottles alone, especially if there is still stuff in them. Do a Google search on Antique Bottles and related stuff and see what you find. I don't think I would chunk or donate them, except for the Segram 7 bottles till I found out what thay may be worth. A lot of people make gobs of money on old stuff other people throw away.

A friend of our is a doctor and he collects those old medicine bottles.....
My mother tells me his collection is worth a good bit....

So, Ditto what TMCNo1 says:cool:

Monte
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Closet alchoholic?? I'd bet the medicine bottles have opiates in them most of the home/ traveling salesman, remedies of yesteryear had such... see what The History Channel can do for you? That's some pretty neat stuff ya found!! I agree w/ #1 that stuff could be pretty valuable to collectors... But nice to see you're looking at museum!!

TMCNo1
09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Closet alchoholic?? I'd bet the medicine bottles have opiates in them most of the home/ traveling salesman, remedies of yesteryear had such... see what The History Channel can do for you? That's some pretty neat stuff ya found!! I agree w/ #1 that stuff could be pretty valuable to collectors... But nice to see you're looking at museum!!
If you do decide to donate stuff to a museum, get a receipt [with $ value] if they accept it, because they will know the real value and it can be deducted on your taxes as a donation.

Jwhitsett1129
09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Good find! When my mother moved into her new house I was in the basement and noticed a cubbyhole that led to the crawlspace. I opened it to find a ton of booze left by either a teenager or a closet alcoholic. The house was built around 1900 and the bottles were pretty aged...unfortunately they were all empty though:rolleyes: Still thought it was a pretty interesting thing to come across.

Monte
09-19-2006, 02:29 PM
When the wife and I strted the refurbish on our house we found a bottle of Jose.... Does that count?? I gave it to the guy workin on the house... He drank it!!! Ias skeerd!!!

M-Funf
09-19-2006, 02:39 PM
If you do decide to donate stuff to a museum, get a receipt [with $ value] if they accept it, because they will know the real value and it can be deducted on your taxes as a donation.

Our local museum is pretty good about donations. Every item you donate gets a receipt, and you can put whatever value you want on the item. They also put your name on the description of the item "donated by..."

I'm still looking for information on the value and age of all these...I've got a TON of other stuff that I've found while renovating the house. Everything from old newspapers (local papers dating back to 1903) and magazines, to shoe button hooks...

It seems that every time we tear something out, we find more stuff...

OhioProstar
09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
A quick search gave me this forum....seems to be well attended

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/

Monte
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Make sure to flip through the newspapers and magazines... When my grandfather passed we found several shoeboxes full of different value bills, coins. all in the stacks of magazines/ newspapers (Compressed paper is hard to burn)... Every one of them silver notes gold pieces etc (thank goodness dad is a coin collector) FYI and good luck

M-Funf
09-19-2006, 04:01 PM
A quick search gave me this forum....seems to be well attended

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/

Thanks for the link. I posted some pictures there to see if anybody could help out...

phecksel
09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Make sure to flip through the newspapers and magazines... When my grandfather passed we found several shoeboxes full of different value bills, coins. all in the stacks of magazines/ newspapers (Compressed paper is hard to burn)... Every one of them silver notes gold pieces etc (thank goodness dad is a coin collector) FYI and good luck
Friend of mine's mother died, and she flipped through an old stack of newspapers and found something like 10k in cash. She wondered why her mother's sisters were so anxious to sort through the old clothes. One was driving a brand new car a few weeks later...