PDA

View Full Version : NBC vs. Jiffy Lube

milkmania
09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
this is why I stay in the bay:mad:

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

redmike
09-19-2006, 12:51 AM
no surprise....they are always telling me I need an "engine flush" because my oil is dirty? Or I need the up sale "high mileage oil" I actually asked the difference in the oil and the guy got mad!

88 PS190
09-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I'll take that trans service please... watch them try to hook it up... LOL

PendO
09-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Awesome, thanks milk:)

fletch_n_me
09-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I took my Grand Cherokee to one out here in Colorado and they pulled me aside when I went to pick it up. (2003 Limited, v-8, 40,000 miles) They said that my engine was about to go out due to blown seals and coolant in the block and noticed that my warranty was about to expire. I drove back to chicago a few weeks later for a birthday and took it to a family mechanic. He told me that my engine was perfect and that they were trying to screw me. (has engine pressure tested, oil strained and magnetic test for metal shavings) I reported them to the BBB and the guy in their Denver office mentioned to me that this was "not the first time." I thought is was the back-*** county that I live in but apparently not. Shame. Seriously, with everything going on in this world, can't we at least be honest with each other?

Leroy
09-19-2006, 01:21 AM
WOW, go to another place.....

fletch_n_me
09-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Sorry for the vent fellas but in the mean time, they tried to convince a friend of mine (deaf girl, teaches deaf kids to ski) that a Jeep Liberty tire would cost $300 installed because it was "rare."

I almost understand attempting to take advantage of a stranger with a nice truck but a handicapped girl; sick and wrong.

PS, I took her Liberty to a Big O tires about 40 miles away and was $93 out the door for that "rare" tire.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
I've never been to one, but I can say this. When I see someone putting a drain plug back in the oil pan using a 1/2" drive impact gun, I know there is something wrong there.:( I'd bet this happens ALOT.

H20skeefreek
09-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Don't you know that drain plugs are supposed to have 135lb of torque for proper sealing? Come on W4T. Jiffy lube has the best price in town for halogen headlamp fluid and relative bearing grease.

6ballsisall
09-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Last time I was there I had them do the works!!! Greased the muffler bearings, checked the windshield wiper alignment, refilled the turn signal fluid (good thing because they told me the right reservoir was deathly low!) they tuned my horn (sounds much better now)

I am sure glad I got me an honest Jiffy Lube!!

LakePirate
09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
When the wife goes in for an oil change and they start that crap she calls me and puts them on the phone. It stops pretty much right there.

You can take your own oil to jiffy lube. Stay in the bay.

atlfootr
09-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Awesome, thanks milk:)Definitly Milk,
Thanks ALOT ... although I never use those guy's it's wise to be aware when your begin ripp'd off.
Way to NBC :wavey:

jmac197
09-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I take my used oil to them....that's about it.

Do the employees work off of some kind of commission system? I'm not defending their practices, but sometimes the system they work in promotes that behaviour.

Later
Jim

RickDV
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
My son works at the local Valvoline Instant Oil Change and I must say that I am more impressed with them after finding out from him how they are trained.

He knows (and can spout from memory) manufacturer specs for fluid changes on most vehicles. They never recommend changes that exceed the manuf. specs.

They are also trained not to "hard sell" any product. They let the customer know what changes are recommended. If the customer says "no thanks" they do not push it any more.

Management is continually providing training and treats the employees well. There is some employee turn over, but not nearly as much as some places.

The only thing I cringe about is that I know I could do it myself for a lot less money. I also know that I have a lousy track record of actually getting out there to do it myself, especially in the winter. I end up paying a bit more, but then it does get done and I trust the folks at Valvoline.

My 2 cents anyway.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Don't you know that drain plugs are supposed to have 135lb of torque for proper sealing? Come on W4T. Jiffy lube has the best price in town for halogen headlamp fluid and relative bearing grease.
I've had the pleasure of watching a buddy do an oil change that gave me a good laugh.
Puts the oil pan under the truck. Pulls the plug, waits for it to stop dripping so he can move the pan over, pulls the filter meanwhile puts the plug back in, we start B.S'n, he goes back over, fills that beast with oil, then proceeds to get into the truck to fire it up with that brand new layer of dino protection.......And I say you might not want to do that yet, the "FLUSH" isn't complete yet.....:rolleyes: New filter was still under the hood (in the box)..:purplaugh Good thing it was a 15 quart drain pan. And he bought the CASE because it was on sale...
Not sure which is better, an over torqued drain pan bolt, or no oil....:rolleyes: Gotta love do it your selfers sometimes....

atlfootr
09-20-2006, 08:17 AM
I take my used oil to them....that's about it.
I'd be amazed, if they didn't re-use your oil into someone else's vehicle.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I'd be amazed, if they didn't re-use your oil into someone else's vehicle.
That would be ok if they used mine, I bring 'em used AMSOIL....:rolleyes: :purplaugh