PDA

View Full Version : Thought I was on Mars!

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
The sky was so red this morning I thought I woke up on Mars! No kidding, it is soooo smokey hear you can cut through it with a table knife. This fire is so big that the smoke has stretched up to San Luis Obispo and for miles out in the Pacific. Our eyes are burning and our lungs full of crap. Some guy burning his "debris" started this thing two weeks ago. I found a cool site last night on the ariel view of the smoke and heat from it but I can't find it this morning. I feel like I have been a smoker now for 2 weeks.

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 12:46 PM
found a site

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php3?img_id=13858

RexDog1
09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Betsy

The fires have been bad up there for weeks now????
When are they going to put them out?
Good luck

chudson
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
You'll are not in any danger are you?

When I first started reading your post I was going to say" Red sky in morning sailors take warning" and I guess you could still say that but it's a fire storm not a thunder storm!!!

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, they are saying the fire is over 8 miles long in places and it is only 15% contained. They aren't telling us an estimate of when it will be out. We drove home through a stretch of it last weekend and could barely see throught the smoke. That day the winds were blowing in their normal direction..off the coast and to the west. Now we have what we call a Santa Ana condition where we heat up, the humidity drops way down and the winds howl. Not a good sign. Communities that are just 15 miles away are being evacuated. I'm not too worried about us. We are in a safe place...I think!:confused:

RexDog1
09-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Good Luck Girl…
We went through it last year, it is no fun,
Hope they get a hold of it soon
If you need help PM me, I will move the boat!!!!!!!!!:cool:

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
UPDATE...

The smoke is really bad now. The gym is thick with it. I can't see the hills less than a mile away. Choke Choke

Boat is safe in Bakersfield:)

KnoxX2
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Good luck and get out!!!!!

RexDog1
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
The Gym has thick smoke in it???
Sounds like a good time for dodgeball

JK It might be time to get out:confused:

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
About an hour after I posted the winds shifted to the cool off-shore ones and quickly pushed the smoke out of the area. Last I heard the fire was up to 90,000 acres burned with over an 8 mile line of flames. Lots of old brush up there in thar hills. Hope I will wake up on the planet Earth tomorrow morning:D Mars is a little too hot and smokey for my lik'n.

Dodge ball would have been fun in the hazy smoke...hee hee!

betsy&david Harrison
09-18-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm under here somewhere...

check it out http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php3?img_id=13869

go to the high resolution shot and adjust the pic. WOW

Hoosier Bob
09-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Sorry B! Drinkin' and winding down from the MM debacle. All is well? If not get moving! You guys face it more than we do(never) but TeamTalk is probably a good place to look for temp shelter if needed. Grab the kids, husband and the ski! Take care and hope all is as well as can be expected!:o

betsy&david Harrison
09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Here is a pic from today. Really poor air quality...duh! Once again we are in the Gym under a Health Advisory. Boring day for me. Good thing I like doing crossword puzzles.

Here is the latest photo. The red outline are the hot spots...big area. If you enlarge the pic and look north a bit, the first area of what looks like a small green belt is where the lake and boat are. All is clear there. Maybe I should take my kids on a field trip and teach them all to ski?!!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/California_AMO_2006260_lrg.jpg

Ok, just went to the sight I gave you and you have to adjust the pic with your scroll bars.

RexDog1
09-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Betsy

How are you doing up there?
When the smoke is down here now, I know it must getting bad up there:confused:

betsy&david Harrison
09-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey RexDog,

we are good for now. the santa ana's are beginning to whip up so this weekend will be interesting. lots of firemen...bless their hearts and families, are up camping out at out fairgrounds trying to keep the flames at bay. sorry you are suckin in all that ash. i checked out the earthobservatory site again and i could see that the smoke path was down your way. this fire is huge!:mad:

RexDog1
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Betsy

It is good to know that you are safe for now,
The fire is now burned over 107,000 Acres now!!!!
The firefighters do work so hard, god bless them
Keep safe

RexDog1
09-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Betsy??????????
You ok? The fire is very bad now
Do you need help? Have not been on TMC cents 9/23
Hope you are ok
PM Me if you need some help….good luck