PDA

View Full Version : Unmarked Jetty on Red River, Shreveport

zinsane
08-02-2004, 11:18 AM
If anyone is on the Red south of the Port of Shreveport, be very cautious to stay within the channel markers. There is a rock jetty that is apparently unmarked or the buoy has come free. I towed in a buddy yesterday afternoon that hit it, prop and shaft were crumpled, strut bent and pushed upward, rubber is at a 45 dgree angle. This is the second boat I know of that has hit it.

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about your friend's boat.

To add to this heads up, if anyone is on Caddo, beware of something non-liquid in the channel just on the Louisiana side of the lake heading toward the dam. I think it was around boat road marker 81 or so. Also a shaft bender.

I think this raises a question I saw on another board. Has anyone put a fish finder on their boat to seek out bolders, stumps, and the like?

bradamerry
08-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Zinsane, that is why I don't put my MC on the Red River, I will use my duck boat on it. I have hit to many things on the river, it is just not safe.

zinsane
08-02-2004, 05:38 PM
We usually stay just south of the Jimmy Davis Bridge and have not had any problems other than watching for debris floating down when the water is up. I prefer to go to Bistineau, but that is out until Spring.

bradamerry
08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
I go to Black Bayou (with Tim, a regular on this board) during the week. It is small, but great if you go for sking and not boat riding.