PDA

View Full Version : Oil capacity - what is the right amount

emnesto
09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I bought a new X45 in the spring, with the LQ9 engine. The dealer did the first oil xhange at about 15 hours. I'm now at about 60 hours, so I did an oil and filter change. Everything went well taking out the oil and swapping the filter. When I added the fresh oil, I put in the recommended 5 1/2 quarts, started and stopped the engine, and checked the dipstick. Nothing was showing. I went ahead an added the rest of the 6th quart, started and stopped the engine, and checked the stick again. Nothing was showing.

I didn't add any more oil. Instead, I looking for TMC experience - and I plan to have a conversation with the dealer tomorrow.

My first thought was the dipstick was too short for the engine. There is a tack weld about half way down the stick. Maybe it was the wrong stick for the LQ9.

This afternoon I measured the oil I removed from the engine. I figured if I removed 5 1/2 to 6 quarts, I'd feel confident the stick was incorrect. I found out I took SEVEN quarts of oil out of the engine.

Now I wondering if the extra oil would have had any short term - or long term - effect on my engine. Would performance, for example, have been impacted by the extra oil.

What do you think?

TMCNo1
09-17-2006, 10:28 PM
What does the owners manual say that came with your new X-45?Somewhere in it, it should tell you the proper oil change intervels, recommended filter numbers, brand and weight of oil recommended and fluid capacities for the engine and transmission. This information should correspond with what the dealer tells you and who would you believe to be the most accurate, the manual or the dealer? Other than that, I don't know!

emnesto
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
You are correct. The manual says "5.5 quarts with filter change - verify with dipstick". So, after I added 5.5 quarts, I expected to see oil in the dipstick hash area to show fill. The problem is there was nothing on the dipstick.

TMCNo1
09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
You are correct. The manual says "5.5 quarts with filter change - verify with dipstick". So, after I added 5.5 quarts, I expected to see oil in the dipstick hash area to show fill. The problem is there was nothing on the dipstick.
I would get with the dealer ASAP to check this out.

Engine Nut
09-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I bought a new X45 in the spring, with the LQ9 engine. The dealer did the first oil xhange at about 15 hours. I'm now at about 60 hours, so I did an oil and filter change. Everything went well taking out the oil and swapping the filter. When I added the fresh oil, I put in the recommended 5 1/2 quarts, started and stopped the engine, and checked the dipstick. Nothing was showing. I went ahead an added the rest of the 6th quart, started and stopped the engine, and checked the stick again. Nothing was showing.

I didn't add any more oil. Instead, I looking for TMC experience - and I plan to have a conversation with the dealer tomorrow.

My first thought was the dipstick was too short for the engine. There is a tack weld about half way down the stick. Maybe it was the wrong stick for the LQ9.

This afternoon I measured the oil I removed from the engine. I figured if I removed 5 1/2 to 6 quarts, I'd feel confident the stick was incorrect. I found out I took SEVEN quarts of oil out of the engine.

Now I wondering if the extra oil would have had any short term - or long term - effect on my engine. Would performance, for example, have been impacted by the extra oil.

What do you think?

Here is the scoop on oil level for the LQ9. The Indmar and MasterCraft manual both indicate a capacity of 5.5 quarts which is incorrect. The GM service manual for that engine indicates that the capacity is 6 quarts with a filter which is also incorrect for the marine application. We use a larger oil filter than they use in automotive, plus we mount the filter remotely so by the time all of the oil lines and filter are full, the engine is going to hold closer to 7 quarts with a filter change. The important thing is to fill it to the full mark and not just rely on the engine holding a certain quantity of oil.

What I recommend is to fill the filter about 3/4 full of oil and install it. Then dump the rest of the opened container of oil plus an additional 5 quarts into the crankcase. Start the engine and let it run for a minute or so to fill the filter and the oil lines then shut the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes to drain down. Check the oil level and add to the full mark and you should be good to go.

Engine Nut

emnesto
09-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. That's exactly what my dealer found out today. We need to get MC to update their manual.