PDA

View Full Version : Off-season projects

bigmac
09-16-2006, 07:14 AM
The drought finally dropped our lake level to the point where I had to pull the boat. Last year I left it in until November. The upside is that now I have time to do a bunch of projects (besides winterizing) that I haven't gotten around to because the boat's been on the lift.

Replace my heater core, which started leaking on the last run of the season. What a PITA.
Replace the starboard-side rub rail base, which was cracked in a little trailering mishap. That base is only $25 per 20 foot section and looks fairly easy to install with some silicone marine sealant and a heat gun.
Pull off my "MariStar" graphics on the sides of the boat and replace with the super-large "MasterCraft" drip molded graphics. I picked up an OEM set from the dealer ($130 per side - ouch!)
Add the heater "Y" pipe for the heater circuit to increase heater heat at idle that I bought at the beginning of the year but haven't installed yet. (Malibu boats come with that "Y" pipe already installed in the raw water circuit, I note).
Pull off the rubber matting on my fiberglass swim platform and replace with the new, non-staining stuff that MasterCraft sent me. Also a PITA. Lots of scraping to get the residue off according to my preliminary investigation, and I need to find a good adhesive option to reinstall.
Repair a few chips in the gel coat on the fiberglass swim platform.
Add some trim edging to the lower edge of the fiberglass swim platform to prevent hydrofoil struts from chipping it.
Add a new socket on one of the gunwhales for an additional anchor light, so that it doesn't get in the way of a ski rope on the pylon. We can legally ski for an hour after sunset but an anchor light is required at sunset. The existing center-stern location is problematic in that circumstance.
Install a gas filler on the port side in addition to the one on the starboard side. I can't get to that one while the boat's on the lift. This looks like a major task, I think. I may have to give up on this one.

peason
09-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Are you sure that pulling the boat didn't have anything to do with the forecast we are looking at this coming week? Ouch!

shepherd
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Nice list BM. Here's mine (wanna trade? ;) ):

1. Replace upholstery and carpet - dropping the boat off at the shop Monday.

2. Investigate blue smoke from engine. Either the carb needs rebuild/adjusting, or it needs a valve job. My mechanic will have to tell me. If valve job, may look into GT40 heads (?).

3. Buff and polish entire exterior and hull. Replace decals if I can find them.

4. Disassemble trailer, have it sand blasted and painted, reassemble trailer, install new lights/wiring, replace hubs, replace wheels.

5. Replace prop with CNC.

Other "wish list" items:

5. Install new stereo system. Install head under deck. Last two units were exposed in dash and were ruined by water - there is no room in dash for a stereo cover. Add speakers, sub, and amp.

6. Install heater/shower.

7. Replace rub rail.

7. Install kegerator (j/k)

She's a fixer upper!

bigmac
09-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Are you sure that pulling the boat didn't have anything to do with the forecast we are looking at this coming week? Ouch!

Well, I'm still anticipating Indian Summer, but I agree it ain't gonna be this next week. I might have tried to gut it out and risk needing 4 guys to get the boat out of the lift with brute force in a couple of weeks, but the addition of my exploded heater prompted me to pull the trigger early.

Nice list BM. Here's mine (wanna trade? ):

Ouch. I don't look forward to the day when that represents MY list...:)

TMCNo1
09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
-Wash, wax and detail the boat and van for the first time this year.
-Wash, wax and detail the wifes Exploder and my Buick for the umteenth time this year.
-Wash, wax and detail the lawnmower.
- Keep the wife smiling!

billr
09-16-2006, 03:16 PM
So are washing, waxing, and detailing the wife??

TMCNo1
09-16-2006, 04:33 PM
So are washing, waxing, and detailing the wife??

You got that right, save water, shower with the spouce. Always use a good sponge to apply wax, so the wife comes in handy. As for detailing......................ummmmmmmmmmmmm! I gotta think on that..................uh, just pick the right brush to remove debris from all the little nooks and crannies, applying protectant [?] on all the skins........................Just asked the wife a question, see ya later, I got a cleanup job to do!

shepherd
09-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Ouch. I don't look forward to the day when that represents MY list...:)

Well, it's long overdue for me. Been too busy skiing (behind my buddy's boat).
That gas filler job sounds challenging. Good luck.

beatle78
09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
:D Just bought an '01 205V last week :D

Here's my winter project list.

WILL DO

1. install tower (ND, XTP, or Zero-Flex??? Still researching pricing/quality)
2. install perfect pass (a MUST for wakeboarding)

WANT TO DO

1. Install heater (3 tube by heatercraft)
2. Install longer swim platofmr brackets to get platofmr out of water (design flaw in early 205Vs/X-Stars)
3. install custom ballast system like P_PHAT_IN_..... did on his '04 205V
4. Install stainless cup holders (kinda pricey, but I think they would look cool)
5. Install shower

shepherd
09-17-2006, 11:14 AM
:D

Really??? I didn't know that speed was so critical for wakeboarders. Why?

BTW, congrats on the new boat beatle.

WakeSeeky
09-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Pull off my "MariStar" graphics on the sides of the boat and replace with the super-large "MasterCraft" drip molded graphics. I picked up an OEM set from the dealer ($130 per side - ouch!)

I'd be real interested to see pictures of this when you get done. We're thinking of replacing the flame/X-30 graphic with the MasterCraft drip mold graphic this "winter".

jclose8
09-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Really??? I didn't know that speed was so critical for wakeboarders. Why?

Are you serious?

First, the size and shape of the wake changes, depending on the speed.
Second, the distance that you jump varies with the speed of the boat. Ideally, you try to adjust the strength of your cut so that you land on the downside of the second wake. Too fast and you land out in the flats... too slow and you land short (very bad). Sometimes the compression from landing short can cause serious injury. Particularly on a front rotation invert.

shepherd
09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Yes, I was serious. You must have misinterpreted my question. I know that the speed of a boat affects the wake characteristics. While slalom skiers may want perfectpass to get the speed to within 1/10 of a mph, I don't see how +/- 1/10 mph would affect the wake. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

88 PS190
09-17-2006, 01:05 PM
A little change in speed changes the firmness of the water, the size and shape of the wake.

And if the speed change happens say due to the boarder's pull then unload up the wakes its going to change the line loading.

Not as crucial as in slalom, ie. if the speeds off it doesn't negate the run like it would in slalom but its definately a preference. that's why slalom mode is rpm and very very accurate, and the speed mode is not quite as accurate off the paddle wheel, it doesn't react as quickly.

Leroy
09-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I need to fix up a few gelcoat scratches and get the letters added so it spells MasterCraft again!

FInd out where couple of big nuts I found in the bilge came from.

bigmac
09-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes, I was serious. You must have misinterpreted my question. I know that the speed of a boat affects the wake characteristics. While slalom skiers may want perfectpass to get the speed to within 1/10 of a mph, I don't see how +/- 1/10 mph would affect the wake. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't speak to wakeboarding, and I have no concern about the shape of my wake, but for hydrofoiling a non-stretch rope is used so a lot of throttle jockeying translates to annoying differences in rope loading. Also, speed variations affect foil lift, so I'd consider Perfect Pass to be a must for hydrofoiling too.

bigmac
09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I'd be real interested to see pictures of this when you get done. We're thinking of replacing the flame/X-30 graphic with the MasterCraft drip mold graphic this "winter".

I'll post some when I get done. My plan is to pull of the Maristar graphics, clean off the residue, and install the other graphics after a lot of measuring and marking then wax. My dealer tends to order a lot of his Maristars with NO graphics he tells me, because his customers tend not to like the Maristar lettering. The downside for him is that they truly come with NO graphics, so they have to install them all.

SkiDog
09-17-2006, 06:25 PM
-Wash, wax and detail the boat and van for the first time this year.
-Wash, wax and detail the wifes Exploder and my Buick for the umteenth time this year.
-Wash, wax and detail the lawnmower.
- Keep the wife smiling!
Don't fergit to soak yer teefe!:D

McFire
09-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Here is my list:
* Replace water pump seal
* Re-pack shaft
* Replace engine cover struts (don't hold cover up anymore)
* Replace cup holders in engine cover (Go stainless ?)
* Replace non-slip surface on fiberglass swim platform
* Repair minor upholstry rips at seams (before they become worse)
* Get new prop (from Santa)

Thanks to all the people on this board, I have instructions/advise on pretty much all of these.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-20-2006, 08:21 AM
BM, consider getting a FLOATING fuel station to float around to the other side in lieu of cutting another filler into the side of your boat......Just a suggestion.

richardsoncd
09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Winter Projects are always fun....but I wish winter would just hold off a little longer this year and go away faster.

-Install Stereo & Speakers
-replace rub rail (how hard is this?)
-Maybe put a teak platform on to replace the fiberglass
-repaint, repair fenders on trailer & install a winch & winch post/bow stop
-wax, wax, wax

BrianM
09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I did my off season project early a couple of weeks ago. Installed the hot water shower. Still seriously considering a heated drivers seat for my true winter project.

Monte
09-20-2006, 09:14 AM
New upholstry/ carpet
Wax
Install new radio and glove box (stolen)
Wax
Install tower
Wax
Rebuild carb
wax
clean bilge
wax
clean out garage for MC fittage
wax
clean engine
Not necessarily in that order:D
Honey do list comes first..... I think:rolleyes:

beatle78
09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
hey mcFire,

Can you post a pic of the rips in your vinyl?

And to answer the wake question. Speed is EVERYTHING! We use a non stretch rope and like hydrofoils, we load up our line for major AIR!! :)

Wake size and shape all change based on loading of the boat, speed, and rope length.......

pq2
09-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I dont have an off-seasson, so I will be skiing, and waiting for you to come to cancun. Warm flat waters will be waiting for you guys. By the way, the program is ready I hope the web page will be up tomorrow.

www.cancunlagunaski.com

OhioProstar
09-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Replace interior
Buff out all gel-coat
Strip and paint the windscreen frame
Re-Pack Shaft Seal
Replace Decales....New Drip Mold would be nice...but I don't know if they are $260 nice.

Hey Shepard...I would go with a Clarion or JBL waterproof head unit. Mine has been in for three seasons with good results.

BIGBADBLUE
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Installing a PP
New Stereo and Speakers
Detail and Wax

Hoping to ski into late October. Anyone ever installed a PP on a '94 205? How hard?

Ric
09-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Find me a serious garage with a house near it.

Monte
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Find me a serious garage with a house near it.

I like your priorities Ric:toast: !!

Maristar210
09-20-2006, 03:26 PM

It is much more than 1/10 of a MPH......

I can slow the boat 4-6 MPH just by cutting. My driver has to increase the throttle to compensate for this while driving.

Steve

NeilM
09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Install dripless shaft log
Send prop to prop shop to undo minor "customizations".
wrap up tight for winter.

BriEOD
09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
You guys are killing me. My season just started last weekend! Although I'm in the middle of a trailer refurb. I got a LED kit and am pulling all new wires.

JLeuck64
09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks to a snag in my local river this season came to a crashing halt on Labor Day.

My off season project list is too long to list here.

These pictures should be worth a couple thousand words...

SKI*MC
09-20-2006, 11:11 PM
i think i feel sick!:eek:

88 PS190
09-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Holy... WHA!

I can't even tell exactly what happened. Stump took the entire trans backwards???

wait deadhead as in dam?

Sodar
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
"I just threw up a little in my mouth!"

JLeuck64
09-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Holy... WHA!

I can't even tell exactly what happened. Stump took the entire trans backwards???

wait deadhead as in dam?
When this happened I distinctly remember thinking to myself "WHAT THE F___!"

We call em dead heads but try to picture a tree with all its limbs and branches resting on the bottom of the river. The rest of the trunk is pointing downstream at about a 45 degree angle off the bottom. There may be some of the trunk actually sticking above the surface depending on river levels.

So there I was cruising along and all of a sudden all heck broke loose when I hung the prop and rudder on that tree. Yes, it pulled the transmission off the back of the engine...

It was a pretty violent and we almost sunk, but I feel very lucky to only have broken my nose.

jimmer2880
09-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Wow... that makes me sick just looking at it. Sorry to hear that. I guess it can happen to any of us. Ouch!

Good luck & glad everyone is ok.

jimmer2880
09-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Off-season project? Build 30x30 garage next to house. Block getting laid this weekend (about 900 12" block). Once complete, this will free up the tiny 1-car garage in my house (under the Master Bedroom :D ) which is just big enough for the 190!

88 PS190
09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=jimmer2880]Off-season project? Build 30x30 garage next to house. Block getting laid this weekend (about 900 12" block).QUOTE]

need a say more...?

M-Funf
09-21-2006, 11:39 AM
My season should end around Thanksgiving...but I think my list is short...

- Fix/Replace pitot's
- Engine Maintenance
- Replace blower
- Insulate motor box
- Install battery disconnect

I'd also like to do the following:

- Build back seat
- Intall some type of driver heating system
- Install slide on drivers seat
- Build/Install teak platform and brackets

I just don't know if I'll have the time with all my other projects...gonna have to get moving...

Monte
09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks to a deadhead in my local river this season came to a crashing halt on Labor Day.

Dang dude!! That is a real bummer.. Makes me a little nausious just looking! good luck... hope.. It can be fixed!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Ballast version 1.1:
Change system to drain out the sides rather than thru bottom of hull and transome.

Bow filler sub box 1.1:
Make so sub fires into passenger area rather than down facing.

Audio 1.0:
Possibly a speaker upgrade???

Cabin Fever 4.0:
Sit in boat while in garage, have a drink or two, and reminisce about past seasons and the season to come.

McFire
09-24-2006, 05:09 PM
14118hey mcFire,

Can you post a pic of the rips in your vinyl?

Beatle - The rips are not yet sizable, which is why I want to get them taken care of soon. Here is the driver's seat, which is the worse of the two.

McFire
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Beatle - The rips are not yet sizable, which is why I want to get them taken care of soon. Here is the driver's seat, which is the worse of the two.

And here is the back seat. The rip may not even be visible on the picture, but it is there.

DooSPX
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
CNC is in my eyes for a off season project for this year....

tex
09-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Get my knee better. Drink more Martinis. Have the wife yell no at me less!

beatle78
09-25-2006, 01:03 PM
thanks McFire.... Yeah I would DEF get those fixed now..... good luck. As much as I hate the offseason, I can't wait to order my tower and PP :)

mika
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks to a deadhead in my local river this season came to a crashing halt on Labor Day.

OUCH! I hope insurance is going to help out? At least the pictures are cool. Broken stuff is always cool till it is yours :( Good luck man

3event
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
off season project: having another baby / skier in training ! only a few weeks away now!!!

i am setting my sights low and expecting only other minor stuff to get done, we shall see. the boat is happy and needs not a lot.

and then continue to thank my pregnant wife for dragging me around the lake (and the kids and friends) all summer long both driving and observing while she could not partake once!

bigmac
10-28-2006, 02:47 PM

http://mccollister.info/boat/with.jpg

http://mccollister.info/boat/without.jpg

http://mccollister.info/boat/with2.jpg

redmike
10-28-2006, 05:20 PM
nice job mac, looks like a different boat!

SunCoast 83
10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
If you can't find those decals for a ProStar, any graphic shop should be able to make them for you. I ran into this already...as for me,

1. Re-canvass Bimini Top, along with a new boot.

2. Re-wire trailer, its already been sand-blasted & painted. I will have this done as I have proven time & again that I am not an electrican.

3. Re - carpet inside, we did interior last winter.

4. Purchase house with BIG Garage to put boat in...(major victory!!)

5. Enjoy Floridian Winter...Hey its COLD to US!! :)

WakeSeeky
10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Bigmac, thanks, that looks great! We just stopped by the dealership today (2007 brochures are in! :D ) and were talking about whether or not to change our stickers. I like your new look, that will definitely remain under consideration.

bigmac
10-28-2006, 09:39 PM
Bigmac, thanks, that looks great! We just stopped by the dealership today (2007 brochures are in! :D ) and were talking about whether or not to change our stickers. I like your new look, that will definitely remain under consideration.

Thanks. There is another drip-molded "MasterCraft" graphic that's even larger than that one, but these work fine for me.

shepherd
10-29-2006, 12:08 AM
2. Re-wire trailer, its already been sand-blasted & painted. I will have this done as I have proven time & again that I am not an electrican.

Jay,
Who did you get to sandblast and paint your trailer? Someone in Orlando? How much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking? That's on my project list for this winter.

5. Enjoy Floridian Winter...Hey its COLD to US!! :)

I remember a boat parade and party we attended on Lake Conway in Orlando a few years back. I think I got hypothermia that night, and we were bundled up!

Footin
10-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Install PP wakeboard pro, anyone know where to get a deal???? (erkle)

erkoehler
10-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Install PP wakeboard pro, anyone know where to get a deal???? (erkle)

I told you.....;)

Footin
10-29-2006, 12:36 AM
We will talk soon.

loeweb
10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
need to get rid of oxidation around the back of the '88. possibly put in electronic ignition. Any buffing experts wanna pm me on how to go about doing this. thanks guys.

better get back to molding the leaders of tomorrow, or as I sometimes think, the ones we will be paying for the rest of our lives.

bigmac
10-30-2006, 04:04 PM
need to get rid of oxidation around the back of the '88. possibly put in electronic ignition. Any buffing experts wanna pm me on how to go about doing this. thanks guys.

better get back to molding the leaders of tomorrow, or as I sometimes think, the ones we will be paying for the rest of our lives.

There's some good stuff about that in this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550&highlight=properboatcare).

JLeuck64
07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Finally,

Got my boat floating again!

Man that was a grind...

Insurance hassles...

Numerous long nights this past month, thrashing to get it put back together...

Countless trips to the hardware store...

Now all I need to do is a little fine tuning of the rudder, then drop in and yell Hit It!

Look back through this thread for my earlier post. The pics show the damage from hitting a submerged log last summer.

pq2
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
your boat looks perfect, what was the problem with it??

beatle78
09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
:D Just bought an '01 205V last week :D

Here's my winter project list.

WILL DO

1. install tower (ND, XTP, or Zero-Flex??? Still researching pricing/quality)

WANT TO DO

1. Install heater (3 tube by heatercraft)
2. Install longer swim platofmr brackets to get platofmr out of water (design flaw in early 205Vs/X-Stars)
3. install custom ballast system like P_PHAT_IN_..... did on his '04 205V
4. Install stainless cup holders (kinda pricey, but I think they would look cool)
5. Install shower

Well, I did get #1 & 2 from my will do list done before this summer started as well as #2 from my want to do list.

This winter ('07-'08) will be the auto Ballast system, like Etakk7 and P_Phat did in their 205Vs and a new prop :)