PDA

View Full Version : Locked brakes.

normanpoon
09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Does any one know how I can unlock the brakes, without doing much damage. My front brakes are too lock to drive any long distance. They are about to burn up after a few miles. My 3/4 ton should be able to stop boat if I am able to turn off brakes some how...

thanks

Norm

softailcowboy
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
are you asking about your boat trailer brakes

Archimedes
09-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Are you talking about surge brakes? Do you have a tandem axle trailer with just the two front calipers dragging?

Are you sure your trailer is level and not leaning forward?

sanjuan23
09-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Not really sure but I would start by draining the fluid from the resevor and bleed at calipers pry open the calipers to get them freed up and get them fixed from there.

normanpoon
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a tandem trailer and the front to calipers seem to be almost locked. they roll a little. The trail is acutally leaning forward if anything, I just got a new car and I need a 4 inch drop. The front calipers were so hot after three miles, I could feel the heat about 2 feet away.

I am trying to get it the deal, but it is really far away and I am not the mechanic type. I just need to release so I can tow back, it is over an hour and a half drive.

Were is the resevor to drain.

2003 trailer.

thanks

Norm

Archimedes
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a tandem trailer and the front to calipers seem to be almost locked. they roll a little. The trail is acutally leaning forward if anything,

If it's leaning forward, it could be activating the surge brakes, though I don't know why only the front wheels would be affected. Simplest way to tell is to unhook the trailer and see if the brakes release.

normanpoon
09-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I mean the trailer is up, not forward. My mistake. I keep scraping the back rollers. because my new car is higher that the old one.

thanks

Norm

Archimedes
09-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Before I did anything, I would unhook the trailer and see if the brakes release.

normanpoon
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I tried and they are locked up.

I can turn them by hand but they are really, really hard to turn.

does any one know how to either remove caliper or loosen it?

thanks

Norm

Ric
09-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I think you could take the calper off, push the piston back in and override the brake actuator where it won't engage the brakes... Not safe for driving but it will get you to the repair shop.

By the way.... What kind of name is Poon?

normanpoon
09-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I am not sure how to take off the caliper? It looks like the allen bolts hold on the caliper, I tried to take off but too tight.

Poon is my last name...

norm

djhuff
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Yep, allen bolts, take them off and compress the calipers with a c-clamp. I wired the reverse lock out (solenoid at the master cylinder, currently wired to back up lights) to the head lights and drove with the head lights on. This way, If you get into a sticky situation, you can turn the lights off and have trailer brakes.

Get it to the dealer and have them take it from there (asap).

Ric
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I am not sure how to take off the caliper? It looks like the allen bolts hold on the caliper, I tried to take off but too tight.

Poon is my last name...

norm Is it Commanche Indian?

Back on topic.. Yes the allen bolts hold the caliper on. Once you undo the 2 allen bolts you'll slide the caliper assembly off the disk and then all you'll have is the caliper attached to a hydraulic line in your hand... I guess you could tie that to the axle somehow out of the way and drive it with no issues, you just won't have any surgebrakes... Is that what you want to try?

normanpoon
09-18-2006, 06:32 PM
That is exactly what I want to do. I just wasnt sure. I dont know what would happen if I drive with them the way they are, they are burning up after 2 miles, I would hate to see them after 70 miles and on the freeway.

Is there a trick to get the allen bolts off they seem like they will break before they will come loose.

My 2500 Burb should be able to stop boat.

Thanks for the help

88 PS190
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM
get allen socket drivers, not allen L or T wrenches, no extension if possible, tap it into the allen head to make sure its seated, and be firm and smooth backing it out.

Too easy to round out if you're a brute.

michael freeman
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
ummmm, if he removes the caliper and hangs it (i.e., not on the disk brake), when his brakes activate, it may eject the pads and I am not sure what the cylinders will do (i.e., fall out, or what).

I do agree heating up the brakes going down the highway is a bad idea. Things can catch on fire after they start glowing red hot. ;)

Did the MC shop give you any help? I'm sure this has happen before, they may be able to give you an easy way to disable, etc.

Sorry I don't have the solution.

Ben
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Another thought would be to unhook the fluid line to relieve any pressure, which would cause the brakes to operate. Keep in mind this will require bleeding of the system later. You could get lucky and the brakes would then retract. The air you would have introduced to the system would then reduce / eliminate braking performance so you can drive to dealer. You may have messed up the guts/seals/etc. of the caliper if you had the brake that hot though, so it may be locked in place & won't retract the pads from the rotors.

Another option is to bleed the sytem dry manually, or find a way to lock out the surge brake actuator, bolt the calipers back on and drive it in.

DanC
09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
ummmm, if he removes the caliper and hangs it (i.e., not on the disk brake), when his brakes activate, it may eject the pads and I am not sure what the cylinders will do (i.e., fall out, or what).

I do agree heating up the brakes going down the highway is a bad idea. Things can catch on fire after they start glowing red hot. ;)

Did the MC shop give you any help? I'm sure this has happen before, they may be able to give you an easy way to disable, etc.

Sorry I don't have the solution.

I used duct tape to attach the calipers to the axle. Put a piece of 2x4 in the jaws of the calipers, otherwise the piston is going to pop out of the caliper.

Ric
10-04-2006, 01:45 PM

Poon is my last name...

norm so what kind of name is Poon?

SteveO
10-04-2006, 02:08 PM
so what kind of name is Poon?

Throwin a little Fletch at us today Ric, How bout Sugar Mr. Poon? No, never never.....

normanpoon
10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Finally got boat to shop.

Pins frozen, master cylinder empty and full of sludge. Disc warped and require turning. All bearings damaged.

work done:

replace all bearings and seals.
replace brake pads.
replace master cylinder.
replace 1 frozen caliper.
bleed system and test.

Was told that is normal for trail every few years. not specific to MC trailers.

got back drove home, one side was so hot that I was not able to keep hand on rim it was too hot, dont know if this is normal???

Ric
10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't think that kinda heat is normal
that problem may not be specific to mc trailers because mc buys the caliper sets from a mfg who must be offering them to many trailer makers..
Dirty pistons and hardware can cause a lockup, but so can bad piston and housing tolerances which allow the piston to wedge off center in the housing when overextended (many times the overextension is due to worn brake pads allowing the piston to travel further)
My dealer finally replaced my calipers completely and the hot wheel problem ended. I thought I was losing my mind telling my dealer that the trailer felt as though it was dragging or holding me back sometimes... Of course it was nothing the Chivvy couldn't handle of course..