PDA

View Full Version : 94 PS 205 - Tach versus speed

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey guys. I hope to be test driving a 94 PS 205 this weekend (very excited :D ). This would be my first pull/ride in this boat model. What should I expect from the tach at 34MPH? I know it depends, but I am seeking a ballpark here. All I know about the prop is that is has 4 blades. Also, the boat will be low on fuel and will be hauling 4 adults.

On a related topic...Besides basic things like fluids, flooring, compression, starting/stopping, etc., what do you recommend I test before buying? Is there something specific for inboards?

I consider you all far more knowledgeable about this boat than I am, so I would be extremely grateful for all advice. Yes, I have already read through ETS' FAQ on the 205.

Thank you!

starman205
09-15-2006, 10:33 AM
JF, I have a 93 ps205 with a 4blade 13x13 Oj prop. At 3400 RPM I am running in the neighborhood of 34MPH, two people in the boat. My best guess with 4 peple that at 34MPH you need to be running in the 3500-3600RPM range. :steering:

BradD
09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
JF, I purchase a 92 205 last summer. Based on my experience, I'd like to share some things I wish I had checked after driving 10 hours to look at the boat.
Do the instruments all work.(fuel, speed, tach...)
With the blower on, do you feel it venting out the back.
Do the Nav and Stern LIghts work.

I simply looked at the boat cosmetically, listened to it fire up, hooked it up and drove home.
Had i looked at those simple items, i would have discovered that the wires behind the dash were melted. Several hundred dollars later, i still have many electrical things that do not function.

Hope this helps.

Leroy
09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Jesus_Freak; Somewhere on here is a checklist of things to check/do when buying a used boat, I'll try to search maybe someone else remembers it. I would guess ETS compiled it, but cannot remember.

east tx skier
09-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Cosmetics are a pretty good indicator, i.e., if they didn't take good care of the hull and seats, they probably didn't take all that great of care of the engine. There could easily be exception to this rule. Check the motor mounts and make sure they're solid. Take a look see up the pipes with a flashlight and see if there is any blistering from an overheat. Ask for service records or receipts. Even though I do a lot of my own annual maintenance, I write it down in a log.

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you all so far. I consider cosmetics separate from functionality. Anyone can wax/cover/armorall. It takes a little more effort, attention, and forethought to care for things mechanically. Yes, I do my own maint and keep a log as ell. Great points! Keep 'em coming.

east tx skier
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Thank you all so far. I consider cosmetics separate from functionality.

They are, of course, separate. But they are an indicator of overall care in many instances. I'm talking about a ragged out boat that wax and armourall won't help for the most part.

Oh, and if you smell armourall on the seats, just keep looking.

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 11:48 AM
An indicator, yes. Great point. Thanks.

I'll try not to do too much seat sniffin' :D

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Also, how do I figure out the drive ratio and drive manufacturer (written somewhere)? Might be dumb questions; never owned an MC before, and it seems there is a discrepancy in the 205 FAQ for the manufacturer.

rspiecha
09-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Ask for service records or receipts for service.

Things I would check:
1) strut bearings
2) cold engine start
3) hot engine start
4) be aware of any vibration when boating
5) Check all gauges

Rob

rspiecha
09-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Open engine compartment and look at back end of engine. The Borg-Warner Velvet drive should have a metal plate held down by rivets with model and transmission ratio.

Rob

rspiecha
09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Here is a link to the different transmissions. The original three blade prop is 13x13 and had the 1:1 ratio trans. The 1:1.5 would have a different size and pitch prop.

http://www.skidim.com/departments.asp?dept=1098

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Rob. Wish I could be looking at your 205 ;)

rspiecha
09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll have mine back Sunday and pictures taken next week. I wish you the best of luck, great boat for water skiing. Drives like an oversized jetski. One word of warning, try to keep the big people in the back, these boat's bow will plow water if too much weight in front seats. I usually try to keep the kids or skinny guys up front:)

Rob

Jesus_Freak
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Drives like an oversized jetski.

I have never driven a jet ski....please use another analogy to help me know what to expect. ;)

rspiecha
09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Quick to plane. Makes flat turns. Feeling of acceleration. You can really toss people around in the boat if they aren't ready for a fast right turn:)

I already miss this in my new boat:)

Rob

sanjuan23
09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I have never driven a jet ski....please use another analogy to help me know what to expect. ;)

Think Ferrari on the water in terms of acceleration, and handling.

east tx skier
09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Quick to plane. Make flat turns. Feeling of acceleration.
Rob

I'd add doesn't turn well if not under power, i.e., not in gear, to that list.

Jesus_Freak
09-16-2006, 10:55 PM
OK. This makes sense. Thanks guys for your advice.

cwright
09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Based on my lessons learned since buying a MC in July, I would inspect bow eye closely for any fatigue or softness. i would double check every electrical gauge is working perfectly, if it isn't it would be a major negotiating point. Open the bilge inspection cover and check the auto on sitch and the sound of the bilge pump. Ensure the engine box blower not only sounds good, but that it is blowing air out the vents. There's a long list of basics I'm assuming you've covered? Appearance and smell of oil, tranny fluid color and smell, is the hours meter working, is the wiring factory? (if the wiring has been hacked up, I'd be real uneasy unless everything made sense. Was the boat well maintained or not? Crawl in or inspect under every panel you can get to (without offending seller), and check for damage and bad repairs. Hopefully it passes all of these inspections and you're on your way to a nice boat. Good luck and when do we see pics?

BIGBADBLUE
09-19-2006, 03:59 PM
My '94 PS205 with 1:1 and 350TBI runs 34MPH right at 3550 RPM's. Tested with GPS this summer and this is with me skiing, wife driving and 3 kids on-board.

The only other thing I would check on the boat is the windshield. Close the pass thru window and check the gaps. These early windshield had some issues with strength.

Jesus_Freak
09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Thank you all! I have checked it out and decided to buy. Pictures might be a while.

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Congrats! Don't forget to check the bearings in the fetzer valve.

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 04:11 PM
The only other thing I would check on the boat is the windshield. Close the pass thru window and check the gaps. These early windshield had some issues with strength.

On mine, after going through and tightening/doublenutting all the through bolts for the windshield, my mechanic told me to look away while he got rid of the sag in my walk through panel. It's dead on perfect, but I'm glad I didn't watch him yank it into place. Best to let someone with lots of insurance do that to a boat. Bottom line is it worked.

Jesus_Freak
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Don't forget to check the bearings in the fetzer valve.

I did. I found it right between the flux capacitor and the photon torpedo phasic magnification chamber.

east tx skier
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Then all you have left is to clean the filth muck off the windshield.

BIGBADBLUE
09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Its all ball bearings these days!!!

Jesus_Freak
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
... clean the filth muck off the windshield.

I can still hear Chevy Chase saying that and cannot stop laughing. You guys are great.