PDA

View Full Version : Shaft / Engine alignment

3event
09-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Looking for advice - is this recommended at 100hr intervals as my dealer says? Boat is at 225hrs, not been done yet. Charge $160. The year end service bill is adding up rapidly.

Wow, winterization more than doubled to $250 without oil change-ouch!

I wont short change the beloved MC, but I want to be sure what I am paying for .... any opinions appreciated. ...

JimN
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Have them quote you a price based on actual time. They may have a flat rate book and/or the MC time sheets but I don't think I ever needed the max for an alignment. If they're quoting for the shaft/strut/motor/coupler, I can see this price. Ask them exactly what they will be checking/aligning.

3event
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Jim, I can now ask a question that makes some sense.

Does every 100hrs sound correct for alignment check? I just realized this year that my manual does not have maintenance intervals, so I have relied on each of the dealer's recommendations. Some are standard, it appears some are not.

JimN
09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
The maintenance intervals used to be at the back of the manual- if you need to, you can contact MC and get them.

skilew
09-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Ask to what tolerance that he is checking the shaft and coupling alignment (should be 0.002" to 0.003"). How is he checking this alignment using a laser or dial indicator or feeler gauges?

Tom023
09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Do a search on these forums and read about it some and decide if it's something you feel you can do yourself. I learned a lot about my drivetrain by replacing the cutlass bearings and aligning the driveshaft. It's not that hard to do and you know it's done correctly. After speaking with my dealer about it, I did not have any confidence they would take the time to get it to spec.