PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Bonnets/Pads

BrianM
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Someone posted a while back a link to get high quality terry cloth buffing bonnets and buffing pads. Just picked up a 6" buffer and want to get some high quality pads for the waxing. bret, what terry bonnets do you use?

billr
09-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Just bought some from autogeek.net But haven't used them yet. They have about any size you want. Located in Stuart, Fl.

Sodar
09-14-2006, 02:58 PM
If you got a Porter Cable 7424 Buffer, use these... I swear by them!

http://www.topoftheline.com/microfiberbuffingpads.html

pilot02
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Call Body Shop Supply in Slidell (assuming they still exist after Katrina), they should have some good commercial grade stuff. Really depends on what you're buffing/cleaning. For heavy work, get the white wool. For clearcote, probably the yellow if it's severe or the "egg crate" foam if it's minor.

TRBenj
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I used Lake Country pads (wool, blended wool and foam) on my boat with great results. They seem to be one of the more common pads recommended on Autopia.com. The best prices for the pads and 3M material that I found was at http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/. Prices on their QUART sizes is pretty comparable to everyone elses prices on PINT sizes.

BrianM
09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I am really looking for high quality terrycloth bonnets for applying wax and polish.

Call Body Shop Supply in Slidell (assuming they still exist after Katrina), they should have some good commercial grade stuff. Really depends on what you're buffing/cleaning. For heavy work, get the white wool. For clearcote, probably the yellow if it's severe or the "egg crate" foam if it's minor.

Thanks Griff. I will give them a shout.

pilot02
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
If they're not still around, call Ernie (Dependable Paint and Body on Old Spanish Trail in Slidell) 985-649-4517, Make sure to tell him (or his wife Sandy) that I told you to call and they can point you in the right direction.

TRBenj
09-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I am really looking for high quality terrycloth bonnets for applying wax and polish.

Thanks Griff. I will give them a shout.

For polish, you want something more aggressive than terry cloth. These are my results after using 3M Finesse-It II Polish with a wool blend polishing pad on a rotary buffer (please excuse the poor lighting):

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/tim008_small.jpg

For wax, I use a terry cloth applicator and do it by hand. You may have good results with an orbital, though.

I got my applicators from autogeek when I bought a bunch of 303.

pilot02
09-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Nice DeWalt constant speed buffer...... Looks just like mine! :)
Wait, LP's got it right now.....:(

TRBenj
09-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks! I hit my top deck hard this spring to bring back some color and shine, so I figured it was time to invest in the proper tools. I have to say Im happy with the results. My dad has an '03 and I think he's envious of the shine... not bad for a '90 with 1175 hrs either way!