PDA

View Full Version : Platform upgrade ('79 S&S)

richardsoncd
09-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my swim platform this winter. I currently have the original (& very small) fiberglass platform on my S&S and would like to put a teak platform on it (for size and looks). The fiberglass platform has the brackets "built in" so I would have to get new brackets (thinking about the folding brackets), the fiberglass platform has 4 brackets I believe, do I need to put 4 new ones on, and how hard will it be to patch the old holes, drill new ones, etc. I guess I am wondering if the work is worth the reward. Thanks!!!

M-Funf
09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I've been considering the same for my '76. I'm sure my glass platform is like yours...lots of bolts attaching it to the transom.

Since you have two tow eyes above the platform, a "traditional" sliding bracket may not work.

Alloy Marine makes and sells a bracket that pivots the trailing edge of the platform down to detach it. They are about $100 each. They sent me a sheet to fill out with dimensions so they can get the brackets machined for my transom.

Are you going to buy a platform, or make one???

richardsoncd
09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I've been considering the same for my '76. I'm sure my glass platform is like yours...lots of bolts attaching it to the transom.

Since you have two tow eyes above the platform, a "traditional" sliding bracket may not work.

Alloy Marine makes and sells a bracket that pivots the trailing edge of the platform down to detach it. They are about $100 each. They sent me a sheet to fill out with dimensions so they can get the brackets machined for my transom.

Are you going to buy a platform, or make one???

Probably buy one, maybe a used one and "restore it"....if I do anything at all

east tx skier
09-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Talk to MarkP about it. He just made one from scratch for his 93 and it looks great. I don't think it took him all that long and he seems really happy with it. I think it looks great, too!

dichdoc
09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I have Cad plans drawn of the brackets off my 84 and I welded some up for use on a friends 79 he made his platform out of oak and polyed it (teaks availabilty to him and price made it not an option. To mount the 84 style brackets would be 8 holes total. Let me know if you want the plans or a weldor. Travis

JEREMY79
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
you dont have to do 4 brackets. I did two and have had alot of weight on it. THere is a pic in my gallery of the platform