PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Questions

pram
09-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I was fortunate enough last night to get out skiing with a couple of guys that are really into short line. One of them was skiing a 66" Monza with Animal Boots and he let me try it out (I am looking for a new ski or atleast a new to me ski). I found that the Monza was hard to get it to initiate it's turn but holy c*ap once it did it shot across the wake like mad. Now skiing on my old Mach 1 it seems to be easier to get the turn to initialize by 'kicking' the rear around, but the monza wouldn't do that. Do the newer skis out there need to be skiied totaly different then the one that I am on now? Is it more of a lean to get them to turn as opposed to trying to turn it? The second request is regarding if anyone on here is selling their ski but don't have it advertised yet in the marketplace? I emailed Shepherd but unfortunately for me (good for him though) he sold it yesterday... Both myself and my friend are looking for new skis (67 for me 68 for him)

Thanks

MarkP
09-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I was fortunate enough last night to get out skiing with a couple of guys that are really into short line. One of them was skiing a 66" Monza with Animal Boots and he let me try it out (I am looking for a new ski or atleast a new to me ski). I found that the Monza was hard to get it to initiate it's turn but holy c*ap once it did it shot across the wake like mad. Now skiing on my old Mach 1 it seems to be easier to get the turn to initialize by 'kicking' the rear around, but the monza wouldn't do that. Do the newer skis out there need to be skiied totaly different then the one that I am on now? Is it more of a lean to get them to turn as opposed to trying to turn it? The second request is regarding if anyone on here is selling their ski but don't have it advertised yet in the marketplace? I emailed Shepherd but unfortunately for me (good for him though) he sold it yesterday... Both myself and my friend are looking for new skis (67 for me 68 for him)

Thankshttp://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3282

east tx skier
09-13-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks

Probably just needed some adjustment. My monza will turn on a dime.

rodltg2
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
i have a 67" system 8 i can get used.

pram
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
This is great, 3 replys already and 2 different skis. I am interested in both of these (my friend can get away with a 67" quite easily). What kinda $ for the System 8? Are these two skis the same shape just different composites? What year is the System 8? Are there bindings on it? Thanks

BrianM
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
. I found that the Monza was hard to get it to initiate it's turn but holy c*ap once it did it shot across the wake like mad. Now skiing on my old Mach 1 it seems to be easier to get the turn to initialize by 'kicking' the rear around, but the monza wouldn't do that.

Thanks
"'Kicking' the rear around" isn't the way to initiate a turn. The Monza really doesn't like being ridden on the tail. Bend that front knee and get some ski in the water. If the Monza is adjust properly and you are sking with good form it will turn as fast as anything out there.

pram
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe the phrase kicking the rear around wasn't the correct way to put it. It just seemed that I wasn't able to get it to turn when I wanted it to. Maybe a I was a little :eek: I have no doubt though that I need to work on my form.

kpickett
09-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I have a 67 Connelly F1X that I'm about to sell. I only rode it once. I thought I'd use it for the INT wide ride division, but it's too big for me. It has large Stoker bindings. It's basically a brand new ski. It skis really well, but it's just too big for me. I'll let it go for $225.

Email me if you're interested. - kpickett @ stanfordalumni.org

pram
09-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I talked to Darren @ Wileys today. Wealth of knowledge. He told me that I probably do turn my old ski by the tail and that isn't the correct way to turn a new ski. So I asked him his ski recomendations and he told me I should look at a CDX as a stepping stone before I move to a System 8 or a Monza. A CDX will allow me to progress with my skiing to allow myself to get better.

Can someone tell me what year this ski is that I have? I thought that it was a '94 but now I am thinking that it is older than that.

Any thoughts?

rodltg2
09-18-2006, 06:33 PM
looks more like 80's vintage

pram
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I didn't think that it was that I old. I bought it second hand off of a guy in Vancouver in 97 and at the time he told me that it was only 3-4 years old. It was in such good shape that I figured he was telling the truth.

I am still unsure about just not gettting a newer ski (system 8) and going with it............

88 PS190
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
I would demo a system 8 first, going from an mach 1 i'm not sure that's the logical step. Those monza shapes have rocker galore

shepherd
09-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Most likely, the problem with the Monza you tried was ski setup. My ski was turning too much in the turns and I had to adjust the fin and boot position to tame it down a bit. Like they said, you shouldn't need to kick the ski around in the turns. I used to do that on my old KD but the first thing I noticed on my System 8 (and then my Monza) is that the ski will pretty much turn itself.

I didn't think they made CDXs anymore(?). MarkP's deal on the System 8 looks good to me - consider it.

88 PS190
09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Go down to bennetts for a week, demo a monza, and have them get it working for you.

SlackAt15Off
09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
If you don't find a second hand ski that suits your needs and want to save some money, look for an older model of the ski you like. I've picked up several things from my local dealer for dirt cheap because it was last years goods. It's the end of the season on my lake so the dealer was looking to get rid of stuff before new stuff comes in for next year. I picked up a pair of Phantom boots for $140 and my friend picked up an '06 System 8 for $400 cash.