PDA

View Full Version : Tie a knot in rope

bfinley
09-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Dummy move, I know, but I recently got my rope caught in my propeller and it ended up breaking. I'm wondering if there is any kind of special knot I should use to tie it together. I tried a "granny knot", and it came apart. If it matters, it's a Spectra No-Stretch Wakeboard line.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Cary K.
09-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Try doing a search for a Zeppelin Bend. One of my climbing buddies recommended this to me for this same application and it has held really well.

Dan K
09-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I would use a bowline knot and then insert about a few inches of each end into the webbing of the rope. This is fairly easy to do if you tape the end of the rope and then push the rope together to make the webbing expand. kinda of the like the chinese finger torture thingies.

RickDV
09-13-2006, 09:50 AM
As I recall from my old boy scout days a square knot is the correct knot to use to tie two same size ropes together at the ends.

Here's a couple of links for the "how to" lesson
http://www.ehow.com/how_7536_tie-square-knot.html
http://www.goals.com/vyc/knots/square.htm

ntidsl
09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
just leave it lay on your boat floor for a couple days then pick it up quickly like you are going to use it and it should be knotted up real good...

MCsJCPs
09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
just leave it lay on your boat floor for a couple days then pick it up quickly like you are going to use it and it should be knotted up real good...
or let my wife handle it and it'll knot up good.

as a former scout and knot fan i would recommend the double-fisherman. easy to tie and once you put it under load it should hold very well. could also try a sheet bend.

whitedog
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
If you have hollow core spectra and not Kevlar core, do not knot it, knots weaken rope. Do an end splice, pretty easy here is a link to instructions.

http://www.lehighgroup.com/ropespliceend.htm

MCsJCPs
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
If you have hollow core spectra and not Kevlar core, do not knot it, knots weaken rope. Do an end splice, pretty easy here is a link to instructions.

beautiful. and you would never be able to tell you ran over your rope:o

JimN
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
If the rope is the nylon kind that opens internally when pushed together (like the Chinese handcuff mentioned before), there's a think that has a thin, cone shaped tip for repairing ropes. It's called a fid and a lot of boat/marine stores sell them. You stuff the end of the rope into the back end and usually comes with instructions for doing the actual repair.

sizzler
09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
see below jim....

whitedog
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Make a fid Get cheap pair of hollow knitting needles in the diameter you need for your rope to fit inside and cut off the pionted end about 4 inches fron the point. Works great. Metel or plastic makes no diff. Keep some on the boat to make emergency repairs.

east tx skier
09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
If this is a tow rope, I'd use it for scrap or a couple of bow lines and buy a new tow rope. I'd just be too concerned about injury, which will cost more in time and money than a new tow rope.

Jwhitsett1129
09-13-2006, 12:03 PM
or let my wife handle it and it'll knot up good.

as a former scout and knot fan i would recommend the double-fisherman. easy to tie and once you put it under load it should hold very well. could also try a sheet bend.

This is a good knot to use. You can also tie surgeon's loops on either end and then just create a perfection loop with the two ends. That will never come out.

88 PS190
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Test it not on the water, some of these low stretch ropes don't hold knots the same way.

MasterCrafting
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
As a climber i would recomend the double fisherman knot. It works really well for this type of thing. I too had the misfortune of running my slalom rope over and the knot has held for about 3 years so far.

* As far as non stretch ropes go 88 ps190 i use this knot on my static rope climbing all the time they're stiff ropes but one they tighten up the knot isnt comming out.

Hoff1
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
I've used a square knot in my wakeboard line for several years. Tied it twice for extra assurance. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again for wakeboarding, but I'd probably not for a slalom rope.

88 PS190
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Ski ropes don't have a separate core and mantel for abrasion resistance. They're different than climbing ropes (which hate water, as you well know)

I've never knotted any ski rope together, but the dual fishermens make sure the tag ends don't start pushing through or you'll take one.

I'd avoid knotting because if it does let go in the future the knot will add mass to an area of rope, and could really fly at you.

ski_king
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
My old rope was cut by a friend I loaned it to. Luckly it was cut near the a take off loop so I respliced a new loop into it.

I still have it as my back up rope and it works fine when I ski at 17.5 off.

rodltg2
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
i agree with the others who said it, do not knot it. it will break eventually . ive seen it happen and its not worth the injury to save some bucks. plus do you want o be seen on your nice mc with a knotted up rope.? id be embarressed:D

jimmer2880
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Use the double-fisherman knot. Then, go buy a new rope & use this one as your new anchor line.

I've been in the boat too many times when ropes broke. Not a fun experience.

Leroy
09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
I agree with the double fisherman.

If it matters, it's a Spectra No-Stretch Wakeboard line.

Doug G
10-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Double Fisherman's or double sheet bend if you want to chance it. Or as a friend once told me ... if you can't tie a not, tie alot.

JimN
10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm partial to the double sheep dip, myself.