PDA

View Full Version : another tow vehicle thread

richardsoncd
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Does anyone tow with a Jeep Wrangler? Or does anyone have any experience w/ this? I am thinking about getting one next spring, but I want to be able to tow with whatever "secondary" vehicle I get. I have heard a lot of good and bad things about Wranglers, but never anything about how they tow. I figure you guys & gals would know best.

Thanks.

sanjuan23
09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I know that PQ2 Has a Wrangler to tow his MC and J Racing Boat with.

OhioProstar
09-13-2006, 09:33 AM
If it is a 4.0L HO engine with a factory tow kit it can tow a PS190. The problem I see is the breaking and on the ramp. You will probably run into a scary situation on a steep ramp with a boat weighing the same or more than your tow vehicle. Don't get me wrong it can be done I think it depends on what ramps you are on and how far you tow.

richardsoncd
09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
If it is a 4.0L HO engine with a factory tow kit it can tow a PS190. The problem I see is the breaking and on the ramp. You will probably run into a scary situation on a steep ramp with a boat weighing the same or more than your tow vehicle. Don't get me wrong it can be done I think it depends on what ramps you are on and how far you tow.

Yeah man, that is my concern. I have a S&S which is a little lighter, I have a Grand Cherokee that I will use sometimes, but I dont' want to get a vehicle that can;t tow my baby. Thanks for info, I didn't think about the weight issue.

michael freeman
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I have towed a flatbed trailer with a Jeep Wrangler and it was not fun. It would try to help steer the jeep on the highway more then I liked.

No brakes on the flatbed trailer so not sure if braking would be as bad with the boat but I would think it would not be optimal.

92 190 PS
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
I looked at Wrangler's a few months back and everything I read about them was that they would not tow well. Short wheel base and light weight doesn't work well with the weight of our boats. Would love to have one, but I need something that is going to tow my 190. I'm looking at Tacoma's and such. A smaller truck that won't kill me on gas all the other times, but will tow the boat when the wife needs the SUV we usually use....Open for suggestions....

atlfootr
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
RichardsonCD ... Check your PM'S and EMAIL

TMCNo1
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I think G-man has or had one and towed a MC and CC with his. Maybe he willo respond for you.

ski_king
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a friend who towed his I/O with one for a few years. It just barely got the job done. My opinion you need a longer wheelbase and more vehicle weight.

Has anybody seen one of the 4 door wranglers yet? They look promising.

92 190 PS
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I have a friend who towed his I/O with one for a few years. It just barely got the job done. My opinion you need a longer wheelbase and more vehicle weight.

Has anybody seen one of the 4 door wranglers yet? They look promising.

Looked at the 4 door wranglers as well. Same problem as the regular ones when it comes to towing capacity though...

agua4fun
09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
a friend pulls his 190 and Xstar all of the time with his jeep. but his launch is only 2 miles. he pulled the 190 just once on a trip, and said never again. he had trouble controlling it on the highway with a stiff sidewind. and he says stopping fast wasn't fun either. so yes it works, but not too well. I had a wrangler before my boat and he convinced me to upgrade my car first.

pq2
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I pull my PS107 with a wrangler 4.0 but its not safe, also the motor suffers. My lovely jeep is now for sale :(

richardsoncd
09-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I pull my PS107 with a wrangler 4.0 but its not safe, also the motor suffers. My lovely jeep is now for sale :(

That really answers my question. Thanks fellas, I really want an open top SUV, I guess I will look at the old K-5's, maybe a '79 to match my boat. But for the record...that is a sweet a$$ jeep!!!