PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a ski... ned avice

Blair
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
ok so i started skiing this summer, went from a combo set to a double boot in about 20 minutes (litterally)

i am 5'11" ~180lbs RFF and free ski at 34 mph (for now) i have made 2 @ 15 off @ 30mph in the course, eventual goal is to do mostly course skiing with the ocassional free ski in there,

i have demoed a few skis since then but the water has cooled off and the boat is now winterized so now im looking for advice.

1st ski i demoed - Connelly Concept 67" w/ Double Vision boots, like the ski, found it really easy to turn on my onside, offside turns not so much, really comfortable, and seemed to be pretty stable, only complaint i had was that the boots were too tight (easy fix)

2nd ski - Obrien Mission 68" w/ double bios, could not get up on this ski, i tried to get up close to 100 times over the weekend i had this ski and got up twice, when i was up my on side turns felt almost as good as on the connely, and my offside turn felt WAY better, that was short lived how ever as i could never seem to get up, (not considering this ski just giving it as background info)

3rd ski, HO Triumph 67" w/ double approch boots, loved this ski, on side truns felt REALLY REALLY good, offside felt pretty good, but a little tougher to turn than the concept, ski was pretty stable, and i loved the locked in feel of the approches, although i never got the chance to run the course on this ski, if i rode at anything less than 34mph i felt like i had a 50lb anchor dragging in the water behind me, at 34 though the ski felt great.

i also considered trying a Nitro (any insight on how much diffrent this would be than the triumph), and would liked to have re-demoed the Concept again (maybe better form after a few weekends of skiing), also cosidering trying animal binders aswell but i ran out of weekends. i know that alot of my ailments in the turns could be corrected by better form (but that will come with practice)

i know it is personaly preferance but if anyone has any input into any of these skis im sure it would be very helpful, and i would appreaciate it, if i forgot anything that is needed info, let me know.

i am looking for a ski that i will be able to grow with, and eventually take through the course (28 off is a reasonable goal eventually) but i am not looking for something too far advanced for me, (Monza, System 8, Sixam, and F1 are out :D ) if i get to ghe point of needing one of those i will be a much better skiier and not feel bad about buying a new one

Thanks in advance

Blair

dpolen
09-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Blair,
I posted a question the other day about this. I'm about the same level of skier as you. I skied the Triump last weekend...it was a lot of fun to ski on, very easy and it turned well...probably best for free skiing. I picked up a 66" Obrien Mission to demo yesterday, going to try that out tomorrow night. here's a link to my post...I'll be very curious to see what folks respond with.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11745

rodltg2
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
if your willing to spend the coin, i would suggest a d3. although they are a hard core slalom ski, they are very easy to learn on and very forgiving. right out of the box they are usually good to go. HO skis need alot of tuning. you canfind used d3 customs for a decnet price on ski-it-again.com

Hoosier Bob
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
If you can get to MagFest I can bring an S-Load of ski's not to mention the ski's that will already be there.:D ok so i started skiing this summer, went from a combo set to a double boot in about 20 minutes (litterally)

i am 5'11" ~180lbs RFF and free ski at 34 mph (for now) i have made 2 @ 15 off @ 30mph in the course, eventual goal is to do mostly course skiing with the ocassional free ski in there,

i have demoed a few skis since then but the water has cooled off and the boat is now winterized so now im looking for advice.

1st ski i demoed - Connelly Concept 67" w/ Double Vision boots, like the ski, found it really easy to turn on my onside, offside turns not so much, really comfortable, and seemed to be pretty stable, only complaint i had was that the boots were too tight (easy fix)

2nd ski - Obrien Mission 68" w/ double bios, could not get up on this ski, i tried to get up close to 100 times over the weekend i had this ski and got up twice, when i was up my on side turns felt almost as good as on the connely, and my offside turn felt WAY better, that was short lived how ever as i could never seem to get up, (not considering this ski just giving it as background info)

3rd ski, HO Triumph 67" w/ double approch boots, loved this ski, on side truns felt REALLY REALLY good, offside felt pretty good, but a little tougher to turn than the concept, ski was pretty stable, and i loved the locked in feel of the approches, although i never got the chance to run the course on this ski, if i rode at anything less than 34mph i felt like i had a 50lb anchor dragging in the water behind me, at 34 though the ski felt great.

i also considered trying a Nitro (any insight on how much diffrent this would be than the triumph), and would liked to have re-demoed the Concept again (maybe better form after a few weekends of skiing), also cosidering trying animal binders aswell but i ran out of weekends. i know that alot of my ailments in the turns could be corrected by better form (but that will come with practice)

i know it is personaly preferance but if anyone has any input into any of these skis im sure it would be very helpful, and i would appreaciate it, if i forgot anything that is needed info, let me know.

i am looking for a ski that i will be able to grow with, and eventually take through the course (28 off is a reasonable goal eventually) but i am not looking for something too far advanced for me, (Monza, System 8, Sixam, and F1 are out :D ) if i get to ghe point of needing one of those i will be a much better skiier and not feel bad about buying a new one

Thanks in advance

Blair

Blair
09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
wow dpolean... i wish i would have read a bit before creating this on my coffee break at school...

Hoosier... i wish i could be there... but with a student loan that was less than what my tuition is going to cost ill have to pass this year... give me a few years...

rod i would have to say that cost is going to be an issue as this will likely end up being my birthday present from my parents, so im not going to ask for something over the top.

dpolen
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Blair...I tried the Mission and my friend's HO CDX tonight. I tried the 66" Mission...it was heavy and a bit scary to ski on. I really enjoyed the CDX, I'm either going to buy that ski or the HO Triumph. Send me a PM if you have questions, I'll give you my $.02 for what its worth. I think the ultimate decision I'll make will come down to what kind of deal I can get on the Triumph...if its not that great, then I'll go with the CDX.

Blair
09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
dpolen, thats the thing for me, its between the concept and the triumph, kind of wishing i would have tried a nitro and the concept again... i may pull the trigger as the shops have a satisfaction guarntee untill june

dpolen
09-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Blair, I'll pass along the same advice that my good friend gave me last night. Since you and I both have boats with similar wakes, the shaped ski might be a better choice for the size of the wake as well as skiing in less than ideal conditions. Just something for you to chew on. I'm headed to the MC dealer today to see what kind of deal I can get...the Triumph I skied on was a Demo, and I don't think they had any non-demos in stock, so I'm going to hope they'll want to move the ski out the door.

Blair
09-14-2006, 10:24 PM
excuse the stupid question but what exactly do you mean by a shaped ski? is that the type of concave on teh bottom? or is it the actual shape of the ski?

dpolen
09-15-2006, 07:54 AM
The overall shape of the ski is more rounded than a traditional slalom (Triumph is shaped, Mission is not). Nothing to do wth the bottom, or the edge. I think the purpose is just to make the turns a heck of a lot easier.

ps...I bought the 67" Triumph yesterday...can't wait to get out on it with the new setup this weekend. I think this ski will help me get a lot better.

SlackAt15Off
09-15-2006, 08:55 AM
i read some where that the nitro is the replacement for the vengeance ski which i use now. i love the ski to death and never really felt comfortable on anything else. if you get a chance to try a nitro or older vengeance ski, i would suggest that you give it a shot.

when it all comes down to it, it depends on how the ski feels to you though, not what others say.