PDA

View Full Version : gouges in hull

rlyons124
09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
This past weekend my wife broke her wrist getting out of the boat, unfortunately there is more bad news. When I heard the scream I let go to boat go and it floated into shore. After putting it back on the trailer I noticed gouges in the hull. They are about 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep and 2-3 feet long. My question is, should I do anything about them? You can not see them when it is in the water or on the trailer, except if you are looking underneath it. I am very anal about my boat but, I donít know if it is worth the money to get it fixed. Does anyone know how much this might cost and if it is going to hurt the performance and/or the integrity of the fiberglass. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your input.

Hoosier Bob
09-11-2006, 11:26 PM
If they are not through the gel I would not worry. If you can't sleep any simple gelcoat repair kit should dress them up nicely. If they are through the gel and into the glass I would have your MC dealer look at them and then give you some options. My guess is some rubbing compound will clean them up and you can complete the repair later in the season with the above mentioned kit. The area you speak of sounds like a $600-$800 gel match(guessing?). I think you can make it look pretty good by yourself as long as it is only in the gel. Sucks I know and hopefully the little lady's wrist is feeling better as well.:o

Monte
09-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Hope the wife's wrist get's better soon! HB pretty much sumed up my answer!

Archimedes
09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
My $.02. A skilled gel coat repair guy will likely do a much better job than you will, so it's all whether you want to spend the cash. My wife and I had a boat cruise behind our 190 once just as she was coming on the trailer, throwing a roller that lifted our boat up and dropped it on the spare tire mount taking a nice deep gouge out of the boat. I found a good shop to repair it and afterwards you could never tell that it was damaged. Cost me $400 to fix and it was a really bad gouge.