PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler Winterization

markfromtexas
11-28-2004, 03:40 AM
So far, I've completed most every step in the manual for winterization, except for "remove the hose from the lower end of the transmission cooler". I've got a 04 mcx, if that helps.

Can someone please give me some advise and direction on how to do this?

Also, I didn't have any fogging oil and wansn't able to fog the engine, this brings up an important question, should I reattach all of the connections so that I may fog the engine before buttoning up for the winter?

erkoehler
11-28-2004, 03:52 AM
How long does it take you to winterize once you know the process? For instance, if it was to get warm for a weekend, or you were going to do some cold weather skiing would it be feasible to summerize for a day and rewinterize again?

markfromtexas
11-28-2004, 04:22 PM
To clarify my above post:

The question is, which hoses do i disconnect from the transmission or attached cooler?

jimmer2880
11-29-2004, 06:42 AM
You disconnect one of the 2 big black ones. It should be around 1.25" or 1.50" in diameter. Don't disconnect the 2 small ones - they are the ones that contain tranny fluid. Some tranny coolers have a brass bolt you can remove to drain instead of removing the hoses. I'm not sure if yours is one of them.

I remove one side, then rotate the cooler vertical to be sure ALL water is out, then re-attach.

jimmer2880
11-29-2004, 06:45 AM
How long does it take you to winterize once you know the process? For instance, if it was to get warm for a weekend, or you were going to do some cold weather skiing would it be feasible to summerize for a day and rewinterize again?
For me to do a "full" winterization - it's about 2 hours. But, then again, I do a detailed layup. If I were to just do what it took to keep from freezing, it takes me about 15 minutes or so.

Do yourself a favor & write down each & every step including what tools you need. I have a sheet that tells me I need a 1/2" 3/8 drive socket for this, 3/4" wrench for that. Then at the top of the list is all the tools required. That way before I start, I put everything I need in the 5-gallon bucket I also need. It helps a lot.

east tx skier
11-29-2004, 11:44 AM
To answer your other question, if you're going to put it away for the winter, i.e., you're not planning to use it about once a month on the warmer days, reconnect all the hoses, run it on a hose or something, and fog it.

JimN
11-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Or you can do a search her for the complete list of winterization steps. Remember, if the motor freezes and something cracks, it's not covered by the warranty.