PDA

View Full Version : New Truck

floridamastercraft
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm looking to get a new Pickup Truck.... I pull my boat now with a BMW X-5 .... but wife drives it most of the time and i really need a pickup for work.... here are some of my problems... I really like the safety of the X-5 with the side airbags etc....

the only truck that I see that have the side air bags are

Chevy Avalanche
Dodge Ram 1500
Nissan Titan
Toyota Tundra

any ideas?

what tows best?

etc....

Archimedes
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
I just bought a 2007 Avalanche and I really like it so far. Tows pretty well and has a nice smooth ride when unloaded. Very nice interior/option package on the LTZ. And the prices right now are very good.

The only negative so far is that it has the turning radius of a battleship and can be a handful to park in a tight lot or garage. But then I knew that was gonna be the case.

Be aware though that the Avalanche bed, in standard mode, is shorter than your typical pickup bed.

Footin
09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I love the new Avalanche. BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Maristar210
09-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I love the new Avalanche. BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

Avalanche best of that group for sure IMO.

Steve

floridamastercraft
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Arch

The turning radius might be one of my biggest problems.... the road in front of my house is not that wide only 21' width and my drive way is only 19 wide x 25 long so i have to get the truck to turn miss the mail box accross the street and it the hole.... the last 10 years I been doing this was with jeep gc, ML500, and x5 all mid size suv's with no problem first time in the garage every time.... If I go this way i'm going to talk to the dealer and take one home to make sure I can get the boat in and out of the garage..... What I do for warm weather (small lots, high insurance, etc........)

Archimedes
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Well the Avalanche has a massive turning radius. I can just get it u-turned in front of my house and I'm on a semi-culdesac like curve. I'm getting used to the size of it though. You just need to get familiar with your clearances. One benefit though is the lanche has excellent visibility out of it's windows and mirrors. The side mirrors are fantastic. Overall, I think it's a steal for the price.

PondPwr
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
We used to have an Avalanche to pull our X10. Awesome vehicle. I never had a problem with the turning radius, but the visibility directly behind when the boat wasn't there was a problem (ran over a couple of small cars). I would get another in a heartbeat.

Archimedes
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
We used to have an Avalanche to pull our X10. Awesome vehicle. I never had a problem with the turning radius, but the visibility directly behind when the boat wasn't there was a problem (ran over a couple of small cars). I would get another in a heartbeat.

Agree about straight back. Parktronic is a must on this truck.

michael freeman
09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm looking to get a new Pickup Truck.... I pull my boat now with a BMW X-5 .... but wife drives it most of the time and i really need a pickup for work.... here are some of my problems... I really like the safety of the X-5 with the side airbags etc....

the only truck that I see that have the side air bags are

Chevy Avalanche
Dodge Ram 1500
Nissan Titan
Toyota Tundra

any ideas?

what tows best?

etc....

Friend has the Toyota Tundra. He likes it, but I give him a hard time about having to take it back to get things fixed a few times. (he keeps telling me japanise cars are higher quality, I keep telling him I never had to take my GMC truck back to get things fixed. :)

Next years trucks should be a new model much like the Avalanche, if you want a true truck, but I have heard a lot of people on this board that like the Avalanche.

I don't know anything about the other two choices.

lav
09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
2007 silverado 10,500 tow rating
230% torsionally stiffer frame
ex cab doors open to 170 degrees
6.0 vortex max with active fuel mangement(shifts seamlessly between 4 and 8 cyl

just waiting to oreder mine :)

lav
09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
also has available cargo management system
and ez lift gate

floridamastercraft
09-11-2006, 10:26 PM
i just saw that the 2007 all new chevy looks good plus they have the safty of side airbag etc...

anyone see the front end yet? chevy's website still as the old front and options....

milkmania
09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
i just saw that the 2007 all new chevy looks good plus they have the safty of side airbag etc...

anyone see the front end yet? chevy's website still as the old front and options....
this image claims "spy photo" so I cannot attest to it being accurate......
http://www.bhammonster.com/silverado.jpg

came from here
http://www.car.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/1/article_id_int/1418

6ballsisall
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I have my flame suit on.........I personally LOVE the looks of the Tundra and you can't beat the reliability. They might be slightly less on the power side as some of the others but quality, fuel mileage, and overall cost of ownership I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

LakePirate
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Have an 02 'Lanche. I love it. Once you get used to the 40 acre corn field required to turn it it is fine. I have only mowed over 1 mailbox and it was on one of those tiny streets in a neighborhood.

Tows like a champ. I put flowmasters and k&n airfilter and get better than advertised mpg

milkmania
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Have an 02 'Lanche. I love it. Once you get used to the 40 acre corn field required to turn it it is fine. I have only mowed over 1 mailbox and it was on one of those tiny streets in a neighborhood.

Tows like a champ. I put flowmasters and k&n airfilter and get better than advertised mpg

probably sounds good too:love:

Archimedes
09-12-2006, 01:37 AM
this image claims "spy photo" so I cannot attest to it being accurate......
http://a904.g.akamai.net/7/904/506/v0011/www.autobytel.com/images/Spy_Photography/Chevrolet/08_Silverado/400/08_Chevrolet_Silverado_02.jpg

came from here
http://www.car.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/1/article_id_int/1418

The dealer I just bought my Avalanche from swears to me that the new pickups will have the same front end as the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, which, IMO, is a lot nicer.

michael freeman
09-12-2006, 08:56 AM
The dealer I just bought my Avalanche from swears to me that the new pickups will have the same front end as the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, which, IMO, is a lot nicer.

Yea, I am not sure if I like that picture.... and it looks like the hood is popped on it. Tell them to close the hood and retake the spy photo. 8p

BrianM
09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Of the group you have there I vote for the Avalanche. But I am biased because I have one. Great truck so far. Although with the bed in normal configuration it is 5'2" with the midgate down it is 8'2" which means you can get 4x8 sheets of drywall etc in there with the tailgate up and under weatherproof cover. I helped a friend move a dining set last week and managed to get a table, six chairs a buffet and hutch in the Av in one load. I never would have been able to do that with my Ex Cab GMC with the truck box. As for turning radius it is big if you are coming out of something smaller but it is much better than any other truck on the market.

You also might consider waiting another month for the redesigned Chevy/GMC 1500 on the GMT 900 platfor. Much improved. But I still vote for the Avalanche over it.

tones03
09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
The new pick-ups do not have the same front end as the SUV's. They are amazing though, I prefer the GMC looks compared to the Chevy, official pictures should be up on their websites, or any automotive magazine website. They have many different configurations with the 07 and good gas milage. I would wait till November when the 07 comes out, you will not be disapointed.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. There are offical pictures out now and this photo is what they look like. That is one of the big differences for 2007 the SUVs and the trucks no longer share sheet metal.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/prelaunch/index.html?seo=goo_07silveradolaunch

Workin' 4 Toys
09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I was hoping they were going to use the bed sides for storage compartments in the 2007 1/2's.....:(

OhioProstar
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
I can't wait to order mine. Anyone need a '03 Z71 w/ 50k miles and a 100k warranty?

BrianM
09-12-2006, 09:55 AM
I can't wait to order mine. Anyone need a '03 Z71 w/ 50k miles and a 100k warranty?

Added bonus is that all 2007 GM products now have 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty. They made it retroactive too.

shepherd
09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Of the group you have there I vote for the Avalanche. But I am biased because I have one. Great truck so far. Although with the bed in normal configuration it is 5'2" with the midgate down it is 8'2" which means you can get 4x8 sheets of drywall etc in there with the tailgate up and under weatherproof cover. I helped a friend move a dining set last week and managed to get a table, six chairs a buffet and hutch in the Av in one load. I never would have been able to do that with my Ex Cab GMC with the truck box. As for turning radius it is big if you are coming out of something smaller but it is much better than any other truck on the market.

You also might consider waiting another month for the redesigned Chevy/GMC 1500 on the GMT 900 platfor. Much improved. But I still vote for the Avalanche over it.

Interesting! My wife has been wanting an Avalanche but I've been steering her away from it towards a Silverado or Titan. I didn't think I would be able to haul as much in the Avalanche. Can you really fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in the bed of an Avalanche? If so, we're going to test drive an Avalanche.

And why wait for the '07 models to come out when you can get such great deals on the '06s?

BrianM
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Interesting! My wife has been wanting an Avalanche but I've been steering her away from it towards a Silverado or Titan. I didn't think I would be able to haul as much in the Avalanche. Can you really fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in the bed of an Avalanche? If so, we're going to test drive an Avalanche.

And why wait for the '07 models to come out when you can get such great deals on the '06s?

Yes you can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed with the tailgate up. Obviously the rear seats and midgate need to be down but that is the beauty of the whole thing. With the midgate you have a weatherproof bed.

The 2007 are on the new GMT 900 platform which is a night and day improvement over the 2006.

TC G
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
The Ford guys are awfully quiet on this thread???

Archimedes
09-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Get the 2007. Nothing against the prior models, but the 2007 is an improvement and the you can get great deals on them.

Note, you can only get a 4x8 in the back if you drop the midgate.

Still, I vote for the Avalance over the pickup if you have the funds.

jraben8
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
The Ford guys are awfully quiet on this thread???

This Ford guy is contemplating making a jump to a new Avalanche so I'm just paying attention...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

sanjuan23
09-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Anxiously waiting all negative feedback on my reccomendation.;) I just purchased a 2006 Titan Crew Cab 4x4 with the Tow Package. With that set up it is rated at just under 9300 lbs. With the Prostar in tow it is hardly noticable, a major improvement over my F-150 with the 5.4 liter and tow package. Gas mileage is around 11-12 around town and really not a noticable decrease with the boat in tow. HUGE interior space and a couple of really neat features such as the sprayed bedliner (although I have some doubt about its ruggedness vs. LineX or Rhino). Locking rear Diff. for slippery boat ramps that really dont require the 4 wheel drive. But the adjustable cargo features are great. Not to mention the lockable storage (big enough for the reciever storage) in the left rear fender. Just my :twocents:

ski36short
09-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I've got an 07 Avalanche tagged to replace my Tahoe this winter. Looking forward to it - should be the best of both worlds (SUV and pickup).

Archimedes
09-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Anxiously waiting all negative feedback on my reccomendation.;) I just purchased a 2006 Titan Crew Cab 4x4 with the Tow Package. With that set up it is rated at just under 9300 lbs. With the Prostar in tow it is hardly noticable, a major improvement over my F-150 with the 5.4 liter and tow package. Gas mileage is around 11-12 around town and really not a noticable decrease with the boat in tow. HUGE interior space and a couple of really neat features such as the sprayed bedliner (although I have some doubt about its ruggedness vs. LineX or Rhino). Locking rear Diff. for slippery boat ramps that really dont require the 4 wheel drive. But the adjustable cargo features are great. Not to mention the lockable storage (big enough for the reciever storage) in the left rear fender. Just my :twocents:

What's the HP and TQ on that? That gas mileage seems really low. Can you run regular gas or does it need premium?

Ric
09-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Well the Avalanche has a massive turning radius. I can just get it u-turned in front of my house and I'm on a semi-culdesac like curve. I'm getting used to the size of it though. You just need to get familiar with your clearances. One benefit though is the lanche has excellent visibility out of it's windows and mirrors. The side mirrors are fantastic. Overall, I think it's a steal for the price. this battleship... Tell me more... Is it the 2500 model? It must be if you have the 6.0 motor
is it 4x4? My 1500HD 4x4 turns like a battle ship too

shepherd
09-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I've got an 07 Avalanche tagged to replace my Tahoe this winter. Looking forward to it - should be the best of both worlds (SUV and pickup).

See, I was thinking it would be the opposite -- that it would fall short as a SUV (not as much interior room as my Tahoe) and as a pickup (smaller bed than a Silverado). Instead of the best of both worlds, it is worse than either... Kind of like a "fish and ski" boat.

Though I'll admit I haven't been in an Avalanche yet, and BrianM may have proved me wrong on the bed size/cargo capacity.

sanjuan23
09-12-2006, 02:03 PM
What's the HP and TQ on that? That gas mileage seems really low. Can you run regular gas or does it need premium?

The 2006 is rated @ 305 HP and 385 ft. lb. It runs like a scalded dog on regular, just ran out of free gas from the dealer last week and the break in period so I am hoping mileage will improve slightly. With the offroad package the truck is standard with 33" BFG's (something I had to have for Cosmetic reasons.) So that doesnt really help the MPG. Then again the wife's company pays for her car, gas, ins. etc. So the MPG didnt really scare me.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
See, I was thinking it would be the opposite -- that it would fall short as a SUV (not as much interior room as my Tahoe) and as a pickup (smaller bed than a Silverado). Instead of the best of both worlds, it is worse than either... Kind of like a "fish and ski" boat.

Though I'll admit I haven't been in an Avalanche yet, and BrianM may have proved me wrong on the bed size/cargo capacity.
From the rear (second row) seat forward the Avalanche has the exact some interior space as a Suburban. You don't get a 3rd row seat with the avalanche put you get the bed. The bed is completley covered, watertight and lockable so you can but anything you would put in the cargo area of your Tahoe back there and then some (think of a Suburban without the 3rd seat in). So as far as an SUV it has the same seating as a Tahoe without the 3rd row seat and a larger cargo area.

Now how about a truck. With the midgat up and the covers off it 5'3" which is just 3" shorter than the 5'6" bed of the crew cab 1500 trucks. Fold the midgate down and your bed is now 8'2". You loose the back seat with the midgate down so think of it as a regular cab long bed truck but if you leave the covers on that bed is completely weatherproof. Have a little taller load take out the back window for even more height all the way into the cab.

I wasn't a believer either until I really took a look and started playing with the thing. Yeah it takes a couple of seconds to change the configuration but you really do get the best of both the SUV and pickup world. Now if you constantly carry large loads in the back of a pickup or tow a 5th wheel the Av isn't for you but if you use it like most do you won't find anything more versitile.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
The 2006 is rated @ 305 HP and 385 ft. lb. It runs like a scalded dog on regular, just ran out of free gas from the dealer last week and the break in period so I am hoping mileage will improve slightly. With the offroad package the truck is standard with 33" BFG's (something I had to have for Cosmetic reasons.) So that doesnt really help the MPG. Then again the wife's company pays for her car, gas, ins. etc. So the MPG didnt really scare me.
I took a look at the Titan and thought it was a pretty nice truck. The fit and finish in the new GMs was better IMHO though and I had a bad experience with a 2000 Nissan car.

Your mileage seems typical of most Titans. They are known for being serious gas pigs.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
this battleship... Tell me more... Is it the 2500 model? It must be if you have the 6.0 motor
is it 4x4? My 1500HD 4x4 turns like a battle ship too

GM dropped the 2500 Avalanche (with 8.1 liter) for 2007. You can now get the 6.0 385hp in the 1/2 ton though. I have the 320hp 5.3 which has plenty of guts for me.

shepherd
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Sounds great Brian, thanks for the explanation. I'm definitely going to go look at one now. The wife will be happy cause that's what she wanted in the first place.

sanjuan23
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I took a look at the Titan and thought it was a pretty nice truck. The fit and finish in the new GMs was better IMHO though and I had a bad experience with a 2000 Nissan car.

Your mileage seems typical of most Titans. They are know for being serious gas pigs.

Well I would be lying if I said the Titan was my first choice but due to the wife taking the new job having just leased her Murano in January there was little we could do but sell my F-150 and lease a New Titan to avoid a $7500 "fee" to get out of the lease. She just had to have that Dam car:rant:

floridamastercraft
09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm just going to hold off and wait to see the new Chevy's / GMC.... I had a Avalanche out on a test drive I think it was the nicest truck/suv I drove.... rode nicer than my x5..... but might be to nice for a work truck..... my biggest problem still is the darn road in front of my house 21' wide :( i'm going to have to take one home and try to get the boat in and out of my garage....

tones03
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
They start building them in October and in showrooms in November. If you come to the Detroit area you can see a lot of them driving around. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Ohhhhh a Nisan. They make forklifts right.......