PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Decision...looking for help

dpolen
09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
First let me say that my wife rocks, she is giving me a new slalom ski for my 30th birthday. I just picked up a pair of HO Venom bindings, so I'm set for the boots, now I simply need to pick out the ski to put them with.

A little about my skiing ability...I'm skiing at 30-31 mph at 15 off right now. My personal best in the course is only 2 buoys, but I'm much more comfortable just free skiing most of the time and I've gotten a lot better at skiing overall in the past year or two. I also ski behind a Maristar most of the time, so I don't exactly have the best slalom wake.

This past weekend, I demo'd an HO Triumph...what a "fun" ski to ski on. Turns were easy and almost effortless. I really enjoyed skiing on this ski, so much I planned on buying it this AM until a good friend offered to sell me his 2 year old HO CDX at a great price this morning. So when I returned to the ski shop over lunch to take back the Triumph, I picked up another demo ski...an Obrien Mission.

So, seeing that I have three totally different skis, what would you guys recommend? Do I go for the "fun" ski? or should I opt for the CDX which may be too much ski for me, but it would be the cheapest option. Or do I go for the Mission which would probably be in the middle of the road for price and skiability.

I'm going to ski the CDX and Mission on Weds night, but would welcome any suggestions you guys might have. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these cool new toys, just not sure which one.

Thanks in advance!!!

PendO
09-11-2006, 03:55 PM
First let me say that my wife rocks, she is giving me a new slalom ski for my 30th birthday. I just picked up a pair of HO Venom bindings, so I'm set for the boots, now I simply need to pick out the ski to put them with.

A little about my skiing ability...I'm skiing at 30-31 mph at 15 off right now. My personal best in the course is only 2 buoys, but I'm much more comfortable just free skiing most of the time and I've gotten a lot better at skiing overall in the past year or two. I also ski behind a Maristar most of the time, so I don't exactly have the best slalom wake.

This past weekend, I demo'd an HO Triumph...what a "fun" ski to ski on. Turns were easy and almost effortless. I really enjoyed skiing on this ski, so much I planned on buying it this AM until a good friend offered to sell me his 2 year old HO CDX at a great price this morning. So when I returned to the ski shop over lunch to take back the Triumph, I picked up another demo ski...an Obrien Mission.

So, seeing that I have three totally different skis, what would you guys recommend? Do I go for the "fun" ski? or should I opt for the CDX which may be too much ski for me, but it would be the cheapest option. Or do I go for the Mission which would probably be in the middle of the road for price and skiability.

I'm going to ski the CDX and Mission on Weds night, but would welcome any suggestions you guys might have. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these cool new toys, just not sure which one.

Thanks in advance!!!

Get a System 8 blank ... $390 plus shipping from Wileys for an 06

jake
09-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Given your ability as you've described it, a system 8 is probably more ski than you need at this point. I'd be interested in people's opinions of a shaped ski (such as the triumph or mission) over a traditional / high end course ski (like the system 8 or CDX) for Doug.

Doug...sounds like a pretty nice friend willing to sell you his old CDX, those are hard to find these days:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Given your ability as you've described it, a system 8 is probably more ski than you need at this point. I'd be interested in people's opinions of a shaped ski (such as the triumph or mission) over a traditional / high end course ski (like the system 8 or CDX) for Doug.

Doug...sounds like a pretty nice friend willing to sell you his old CDX, those are hard to find these days:D

From what you described, I would say the Triumph would be a good option for you if your looking for that "fun" ride as you described it, but if you want a bit more out of a ski, the HO Nitro would be a good optoin, or if you can find a used one, an HO Vengeance would be good too. The System 8 is going to ge a great ski, but it may be a bit more than what you want. But I will tell you this, I have a Monza and I love the skiability of a "high end" or "pro" ski. They just ski darn nice. Even if I am not skiing 39 off in a course, its still a great ski. I free ski 15 off at 34 MPH and I love the monza for purely recreational skiing. So depending on what YOU want out of a ski is going to help determine what model to pick. :) Hope this helps!:) Please let us know how it goes!

Archimedes
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
My $.02 would be not to get too much ski for your ability or you'll be sorry. Back when I slalomed a lot, I could run the course at 15 off at 32mph and I skiied the H.O. VTR (still do) rather than the top of the line VTX. The VTX was a better ski, but I just could not ski it near as well or as comfortably as my VTR. Even though all my buddies skiied the VTX, I stuck with the girly man VTR.

dpolen
09-11-2006, 09:42 PM

OK, I admit it...its you Jake, but you know you'll get at least a good bottle of red wine thrown into the deal if I like the ski.