PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bilge - products?

cwright
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
My bilge pump is toast and in I'm in the process of finding a replacement. During pump removal I was disappointed in the condition of my bilge and would like to clean it up. I've been told there are biodegradeable bilge cleaners you can put in with gallons of water and drive around with for a while to srtip/clean bilge in areas you can't reach. (I'm not sure where I'll dump that cocktail of grime if it really works that way) Has anyone used this type of product. Is it the way to go or should I just use the old armstrong method with a mit and soapy water on every inch I can reach, and forget about the rest?

TMCNo1
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
My bilge pump is toast and in I'm in the process of finding a replacement. During pump removal I was disappointed in the condition of my bilge and would like to clean it up. I've been told there are biodegradeable bilge cleaners you can put in with gallons of water and drive around with for a while to srtip/clean bilge in areas you can't reach. (I'm not sure where I'll dump that cocktail of grime if it really works that way) Has anyone used this type of product. Is it the way to go or should I just use the old armstrong method with a mit and soapy water on every inch I can reach, and forget about the rest?

Do exactly what you described, but also use some Dawn dish washing detergent and 10 gallons of HOT water, throw a couple rags in the bilge to move around in there while you are driving around. Dump at the local car wash [not much difference than washing a engine there], then go home and rinse with more HOT water.

sanjuan23
09-11-2006, 01:09 PM
, then go home and rinse with more HOT water.

Ah Ha!!! I have figured another use for that Turkey Fryer! 10 Gallons of Hot Water Coming Up!:D

east tx skier
09-11-2006, 01:18 PM
With Harold's method, you will be able to eat out of your bilge I suspect. But then you'll have to wipe the food out of the bilge, too.

I give my carpet an annual scrubbing with a little Tide and warm water and rinse it all into the bilge at the car wash with the pressure wand. Hit the bilge with an old towel to dry it out afterwards and it's clean enough for me. It's just going to have lake water in it soon anyway.

Of course, Harold has that problem solved, too. Bath mat under the packing nut with a relatively low drip rate compared to mine.

cwright
09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm all over the Dawn and hot water as I have free access to both, but is it strong enough. Are the bilge cleaners stronger? and will they cut through 18 years of gunk and who knows what, better than Dawn?

ski_king
09-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I use dish washing soap and hot water also. Works great.

I occassionally pull the plug and let about 10 gallons of lake/river water into the bilge before the last ski. Add an amble amout of dish soap and ski. Sking is more fun than scrubing!

Something like simple green may work even better, but you better make sure it wont effect the wires in the bilge.

TMCNo1
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
With Harold's method, you will be able to eat out of your bilge I suspect. But then you'll have to wipe the food out of the bilge, too.

I give my carpet an annual scrubbing with a little Tide and warm water and rinse it all into the bilge at the car wash with the pressure wand. Hit the bilge with an old towel to dry it out afterwards and it's clean enough for me. It's just going to have lake water in it soon anyway.

Of course, Harold has that problem solved, too. Bath mat under the packing nut with a relatively low drip rate compared to mine.

:uglyhamme OH, I forgot to mention after it's all dry and purdy, I wipe the bilge down with Pledge Furniture Polish, that way any water is just one great big bead and you can just pick it up with a Pamper! You know, the new highly absorbant kind!:rolleyes:

cwright
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the LOL.

question for ski king, if you pull the drain plug while on water, isn't it hard to get it back in?

ski_king
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the LOL.

question for ski king, if you pull the drain plug while on water, isn't it hard to get it back in?
Not once the boat is resting on the bottom.

No, its not a problem, you may get a little wet though.

kpickett
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm all over the Dawn and hot water as I have free access to both, but is it strong enough. Are the bilge cleaners stronger? and will they cut through 18 years of gunk and who knows what, better than Dawn?

Dawn and hot water work great. When I bought my boat, the bilge was gross. Then I had a transmission hose leak, and that was a huge mess. Just put the Dawn and a couple gallons of hot water in, drive around for a couple hours, empty out, and you're clean.

TMCNo1
09-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the LOL.

Like the little boy and the dike, stick your finger in the hole, get the plug handy and insert and start screwing in when you pull your finger out of the hole.
I know, I'll be thrown under the bus for the way I said that, but...............................:D :rolleyes: 8p

88 PS190
09-12-2006, 12:24 AM
You won't need the finger, when i'm on the lift i pull the plug, crank down. Let it fill, then with the plug out I crank it back up.

Point for you all to consider, it doens't take much water in the bilge to reach the bellhousing, which isn't 100% sealed, water in there rusts the damper plate and can lead to premature failure.

Its not hard to pull the tranny, but it isn't easy, so keep the water level down.

I've often wondered what the engine degreaser at the coin wash would do, open it up, spray the bildge out with the plug open, rinse, and then leave in the sun open for a few.

Should be decent.