PDA

View Full Version : Skiing without 55m pregates - Help!

crdickey
11-27-2004, 03:23 AM
I've always skied courses with 55m pre-gates and will be skiing on vacation on a course without them and Iím curious what visual point of reference I should use. Currently Iím using the one handed gate, so proper timing will be important.

bret
11-27-2004, 09:16 AM
The first couple of times it will be trail and error. You'll just have to use the "get to the left and hang" method until you pick up visual reference from shore - well, depends on your setup time too. If it's a private site it should be pretty easy to get a good reference. Where are you headed?

John B
11-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Chuck,
My Insta-Slalom does not have 55 meter gates.
I added more rope at the end of the course and put in just one buoy. I just make sure when I setup the course it is on the left side of the boat as you go into the course. What you can do is take 181 feet of rope. 55 meters is 180 feet the extra is for the anchors. Put a loop at each end for the anchors.Take another rope about ten feet.( about how deep the water is)That is for the buoy.

Now if you will be using a Insta-Slalom The anchors are 126 feet for the gates. Just add 54 feet to the main line then the buoy line. On the side that has the tension line add 18 feet and then the buoy line.

For anybody who has a Insta -Slalom if you do this you can take the course out from either end.

Chuck where are you going??

crdickey
11-27-2004, 11:45 AM
What's happening is, I picked up a course (insta-slalom) on eBay for $350.00. It has the SS mainline but since the previous owners had a short setup they ordered it w/o 55m gates.

I'm staying home this vacation and intend to use it here on Lake Elsinore. Since I can not leave it in the water, setup and tear down time is important, so I want to try it w/o the 55m's before I try to modify it.

I'm going to try it once this week and depending on how easy/difficult it is to get it in and out, I'll do it everyday during my week off in Dec.

John B. I see you are in Big Bear, are you still able to ski up there?

Big ski vacation is in March or April, depending on my year end bonus, I'm going to Acapulco to Rathbun's or a ski school in Florida.

John B
11-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Chuck,
We are snow skiing now.The ramp on the lake closes on Dec.1.

If you just add the one buoy it will make setup and pull time faster.You will be able to set or pull the course from either end.and if the wind starts to blow when you have to pull your course you need to be able to do that.

The first I setup my course it took 1 hour and about 35 min.to pull it. After that it took 30 min.to setup and the same to pull.
You need three people,boat driver and two to put it together.One to take care of the mainline and one to put the pvc together.

By the way there is a life time warranty on the mainline.
If you have any damage done to it just send it back to Insta -Slalom, and they will fix it free. :D