PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump may be my problem?

Brent
09-11-2006, 09:28 AM
1987 PS 190 -351 ford -4160 holly carb. Perfect Pass 6.5n.

My boat runs great until it gets up to temp (160f) & then starts back firing & stalling . I've rebuilt the carb- put in electronic ignition -new coil wires & plugs -Done the timing . Basically been through the ringer trying to figure out what the problem is.Yesterday it was suggested to me that that in all likely hood the problem is the diaphragm in the fuel pump . Figured I'd get confirmation on here if this seem to be a good direction.

With all the problems , Always trying to restart the beast I've just replaced my starter & have to install a new fly wheel (A couple of teeth are missing).Any good suggestion on where to get & how install a fly wheel?

BrianM
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Probably just need to replace the ring gear not the whole flywheel. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R139006 Call up Vince and he can give you a rundown on what is required to do the install.

JimN
09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
The ring gear is installed by removing the old one, heating the new one to a particular point, slipping it on the flywheel and letting it cool, which shrinks it to fit. The flywheel bolts onto the crank. The transmission and bell need to be removed for access . Not very hard, impact wrench to remove and reinstall the bolts, Lok-Tite on the bolts and a support for the motor to keep it from tilting. Check the price for a complete flywheel and compare with ring gear + installation, time to find a shop that will install it, driving to/from, etc. A complete one may be the best way to go and there may be a way to exchange the old one.

Brn85ss
09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Bring your new ring gear to any good engine machine shop and have them do the swap.Last one cost me 17.00 delivered.

Brent
09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Guy's :)

Removing the ring gear never would have crossed my mind!