PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rear Plate

BrianM
09-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Broke the plate on the rear boot of my FM's tonight. It was a little scary. I got a bit over the front going to one ball when it broke. Managed to let go of the rope and ride the ski one footed until I came to a stop.

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Broke the plate on the rear boot of my FM's tonight. It was a little scary. I got a bit over the front going to one ball when it broke. Managed to let go of the rope and ride the ski one footed until I came to a stop.

If you'd pull with your arms instead of your feet you wouldn't have that problem....

sorry dude couldn't resist.

you should post that on the nichols page, Shark seems to have pretty good customer service.

6ballsisall
09-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow!! Pretty freaky! I was just looking at mine this evening thinking how strong and well built they are!!

BrianM
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
I have an e-mail into Paul and expect himto take care of things as usual. I have actually heard of this happening (on the Nicols board) and think that there was an issue with some of the plate material on the older bindings. They have since changed to a different material for the plates I believe.

east tx skier
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Brian, this was the carbon plate if I recall, correct? Hope you didn't get too banged up.

88 PS190
09-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Not carbon, two options are ABS and an HDPE

I think its been since 2004 that the older material was in use.

Luckily an FM will still have the ability to release with the rear boot off of the plate!

BrianM
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Not carbon, two options are ABS and an HDPE

I think its been since 2004 that the older material was in use.
Mine are / were the ABS. Although I bought them last year they are actually 2004 models with the 2005 buckles. Just got an email back from Paul and he said that he reccomend replacing both the front and rear plates with the HDPE as he has had no failures.

The kicker is he wants to charge me $75 for the plates and express shipping (from Canada) is going to be another $75! :eek3: I asked to see what the difference in normal shipping would be. These bindings were a year old last month so I am not happy about having to spend $100-$150 to fix a known issue with the plates on a $500 set of binders. :huh: :mad: I told Paul that and we shall see how he responds.

east tx skier
09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
The kicker is he wants to charge me $75 for the plates and express shipping (from Canada) is going to be another $75! :eek3: I asked to see what the difference in normal shipping would be. These bindings were a year old last month so I am not happy about having to spend $100-$150 to fix a known issue with the plates on a $500 set of binders. :huh: :mad: I told Paul that and we shall see how he responds.

Yikes!

Keep us posted. :popcorn:

88 PS190
09-11-2006, 12:45 PM
They are an expensive part but paul will probably cut you some sort of deal on it.

The HDPE is an expensive piece of plastic, hence he started at 500$ and new binders are up quite a bit from there. ABS was cheap.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Well it ended up being not quite as expensive as I thought. Total cost for the two new plates and expidited shipping was $119. The $75 for the plates was half the normal price so Paul was cutting me a deal. As usual the customer service was great and I should have my new plates by Thursday afternoon. So I only ended up losing a day and a half of skiing and maybe not even that much since it is raining here today.

east tx skier
09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
So maybe I'm missing something reading this thread, but what exactly was the problem that caused the failure? Glad to hear you are being taken care of.

BrianM
09-12-2006, 10:42 AM
The problem is the ABS apparently does not take the stress that well. That combined with a little age and sun makes it brittle. In my case I can just assume that the upward pressure of a less than perfect cut through the gates finally caused it to break. Quite honestly if plates are going to break like this for someone it is going to be for me. I take more than my fair share of OTFs at 36 mph especially when I am skiing 28off. The ABS is not the best material for the job and I am sure it only has so many releases in it before it fails. The HDPE supposedly does not have this problem as it is much tougher stuff.

On another note. The last ski day before the plate broke I took a really nasty fall where the bindings did not release. I had been having a little issue with the release mechanism not operating smoothly stepping into the binding. This fall was the first time I have ever felt that the binding should have released when it didn't. Actually pulled my front foot about halfway out of the binding giving me a LOT of ankle strain. In fact my left ankle is still sore from it. I have a feeling that this fall over stressed the plate and the next day it failed in a fairly normal situation.

Got the release pin lubed and working smoothly again so when the new plates arrive I should be better than new.

NOTE TO FM USERS: According to Paul the release mechanism should be disassembled and the O-ring, pin and threads lubed with a bit of Vaseline every 2-12 months depending on how clean your water is. The manuel does not have any mention of this. Mine had gone a year with no lube in extremly murky water which was leading to unsmooth operation. This just takes a couple of minutes to do so I am going to make it a monthly routine to assure that it always works flawlessly.

88 PS190
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Yea, there is not mention of it but i use silicon faucet/valve grease to lubricate my opring and pin etc. And use teflon tape on the threads of the mechanism. Additionally a long release gap allows the pin to move vertically before compression, which can actually jam it.

I think the HDPE is more flexible, you'll probably notice your plate flex a bit if you stand on the platform and cycle the rear release.

betsy&david Harrison
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Is the "Paul" you are speaking of Paul Crawford? B

BrianM
09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Is the "Paul" you are speaking of Paul Crawford? B

No, Paul Jager

betsy&david Harrison
09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks, because I am trying to get Paul Crawford of D3 to get me a plate that will line up with my KD binding and my new D3 X5.

ski36short
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I broke a plate on mine not too long ago as well - different location, same story (ABS, not HDPE). Also escaped injury in what could have been a hard fall but ended up being a painless skip across the water. Paul took care of me, but UPS didn't - they lost my shipment in a warehouse in Louisville for like a week! I called daily and it took days to get someone helpful on the phone. Once they realized what was going on, they almost defied physics in how fast it showed up.

88 PS190
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Ouch that's a painful occurance! Jager did his business, but then UPS... grr.

Ski36short, do you notice the HDPE being more flexible?

east tx skier
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Brian, thanks for the specifics on the plate failure as well as the necessary maintenance.