PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slow engagement problem.

Daley
09-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Hey,

I have a 1991 Prostar 190 with the 351 windsor engine and a vevlet drive transmission model 10-17-206 ratio 1.52:1.

I have a recent problem with it engaging into forward, i need to rev it between 1800 to 2000 rpm in order for it to engage. If i bring it back into neutral and immediatly re-engage in forward it instantly engages at low rpm.

In reverse it engages immediatly at low rpm.

When the transmission is left in neutral for more than five seconds it requires the high rpm to engage.

I have adjusted the cables to no avail.

Transmission fluid changed three years ago, 90 hrs, fluid level shows full. No discolouration or odour.

Transmission works perfectly other than this problem.

Can anybody help with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

T Scott
09-10-2006, 10:39 PM
You mentioned that you adjusted the cables to no avail. One way to test if the problemis in the tranny or the linkage is to remove the linkage cable from the tranny and move the lever by hand. If it engages properly, your problem is obviously in the linkage, if not, you may have an internal tranny issue that needs addressing.

88 PS190
09-10-2006, 11:32 PM
3 years is a long time for the trans fluid.

think its 50 hours recommended service interval.

Besides that check your level, if you are low that could lead to it.

These transmissions engage the gears by direction the pressure created by the pump to either lock the forward gear or to allow ring gears (like a car's differential) and allow the output to be reversed.

A high rpm engagement indicates you aren't getting pressure to lock forwards up.

Dirty fluid could cause it to plug up and not lock up, water could possibly do similar. Beyond that it could be a bad pump or valve body...

I am not sure if it takes more pressure for forwards than reverse which would explain what you are getting.

But it sounds internal.

What does it do if you put into forwards but don't rev it, and let it sit. Will it eventually engage?

Bert
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey,

I have a 1991 Prostar 190 with the 351 windsor engine and a vevlet drive transmission model 10-17-206 ratio 1.52:1.

I have a recent problem with it engaging into forward, i need to rev it between 1800 to 2000 rpm in order for it to engage. If i bring it back into neutral and immediatly re-engage in forward it instantly engages at low rpm.

In reverse it engages immediatly at low rpm.

When the transmission is left in neutral for more than five seconds it requires the high rpm to engage.

I have adjusted the cables to no avail.

Transmission fluid changed three years ago, 90 hrs, fluid level shows full. No discolouration or odour.

Transmission works perfectly other than this problem.

Can anybody help with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Richard, I asked this question about your tranny on here before you posted. Some feed back was that it has to be level or pressure related. Just checked my velvet drive manual and it confirms that slow engagement is low oil level, linkage which you adjusted or detent ball needs cleaning/lubricating.
Thinking about level I was wondering how you check yours. In order to be full when the pump is running and circulating oil through the cooler it needs to be over filled when stopped. It is explained in the manual to operate the boat, get up to operating temperature, shut down and and check the level. Adjust to full and then when cold you can determine the cold level. I just checked mine and the cold full level is right at the "L" in the word full on the dipstick.
Hope this helps, Bert