PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong?

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 08:35 PM
It finally feels like I'm pulling through the wake (first wake anyway) versus launching off it but after reviewing the film it doesn't look as good as that shot Andre posted.....

any pointers?

I know I need to head to a school or find a honest to goodness course skier that takes on charity work.....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wake.JPG

betsy&david Harrison
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
The only thing I can tell you is that you don't have enough weight/bend on the front leg. That will keep you from launching and also keep you on edge. Your pull position is PDG! Is your front binding all the way up? I just had mine pushed up and the rear is too. Since I am right foot in back the guy set my rear binding all the way over to the right too. I think it may be at a slight angle to help with the off side turn. What ever he did made me ski amazingly well. Good luck! B

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
other than checking out my spray....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wake2.JPG

88 PS190
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Never look at your spray if you are skiing and hope to have a good turn, it forces you to push and lean.

If your knees are softer the ski will absorb the wake instead of hitting it.

and if you are at 75' go to 15' off.

The wake is too wide at 75' and becomes two separate bumps.

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
The only thing I can tell you is that you don't have enough weight/bend on the front leg. That will keep you from launching and also keep you on edge. Your pull position is PDG! Is your front binding all the way up? I just had mine pushed up and the rear is too. Since I am right foot in back the guy set my rear binding all the way over to the right too. I think it may be at a slight angle to help with the off side turn. What ever he did made me ski amazingly well. Good luck! B

THanks Betsy!

I bought a fatboy ski and it seems to be helping....

I have the front binding all the way forward, the rear is one hole away from completely forward

I noticed the fin was set uneven, so I did the highly technical WAG method of adjusting the fin and set both front and back to 4 or 5 (marked on the fin) so both are on the same number.

I keep trying to bend the knee but I guess I'm not trying hard enough....

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Never look at your spray if you are skiing and hope to have a good turn, it forces you to push and lean.

If your knees are softer the ski will absorb the wake instead of hitting it.

and if you are at 75' go to 15' off.

The wake is too wide at 75' and becomes two separate bumps.

Thanks 88, I think it's about 22 off. soft knees is way to abstract (on the water....)

Man, Iowa pulled that one out of their arse.....

SKI*MC
09-10-2006, 08:51 PM
do you ski a course?

Hoosier Bob
09-10-2006, 08:52 PM
So where's the camera? The platform? Looks like fun Ted and the angle and the chunks look good to me as well. I am one that does things with force and a good hammer but not much talent!:o

88 PS190
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Man, Iowa pulled that one out of their arse.....

I do not want to talk about it, It does not bode well for our meetings with iowa state and OSU if we cannot take care of that properly, and esp. after OSU's showing. I sure hope Tate gets his torso back.

Leroy
09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey FT, just a comment, I would have guessed you would want your knees bent more and your arms straighter. I would be estastic to ski that period!

Which fatboy ski did you get?

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey FT, just a comment, I would have guessed you would want your knees bent more and your arms straighter. I would be estastic to ski that period!

Which fatboy ski did you get?

Thanks Leroy!

I got a 70" CDX which was an upgrade from a 67" Mach 1

I'm headed for an upgrade to a 69.5 System 8.....look for me on the
Bossier City Pro(zac) Tour

88 PS190
09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]Thanks 88, I think it's about 22 off. QUOTE]

how are you shortening your line? typically when the long white is on the pylon its 75' then red on the pylon is 15' off, and then '22 on the next, and 28' on the next and so on. Are you pulling them from the other end?

bradamerry
09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
does wildman need to help you???

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I do not want to talk about it, It does not bode well for our meetings with iowa state and OSU if we cannot take care of that properly, and esp. after OSU's showing. I sure hope Tate gets his torso back.

I didn't get to follow the game last night but on the way back from Texarkana I was able to tune into WHO 1040 and listen to Jim Zabel on the AM radio. The callers were brutal and initially I thought Iowa lost, especially since Tate got pulled Sat morning.

I hope playing at the new stadium helps them Saturday.

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 09:44 PM
does wildman need to help you???

need to check out the wake on the new rig....

bradamerry
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
need to check out the wake on the new rig....
waiting on the motor to arrive.. Wake should be good for boarding..

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]Thanks 88, I think it's about 22 off. QUOTE]

how are you shortening your line? typically when the long white is on the pylon its 75' then red on the pylon is 15' off, and then '22 on the next, and 28' on the next and so on. Are you pulling them from the other end?

funny you should mention line length and colors,

see my second hand failed in her duties as rope tender which resulted in a few loops getting chopped by the prop so they got removed and the rope peiced back together

I think it's safe to say that the rope in that picture was between 15 and 22 off

usually we ski 15 off

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 09:52 PM
do you ski a course?

course? I don't need no stinkin course.....

sorry dude couldn't resist.

I don't have access to a course here in town, but there is one available at Greeson

betsy&david Harrison
09-10-2006, 09:53 PM
other than checking out my spray....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wake2.JPG
What can I tell you about this?? First, keep those knees bent...even in the turn. Second, don't break at the waist, hips up...and as said before, no checking out yer spray dude!. Since you ski left forward like I do this should be your easy side.

Things I tell myself that might work for you...(KISS method ie..keep it simple stupid)
1. Be tall in the upper body...chest out, head up
2. crush the knees and maintain body position through the wakes
3. Finish the turn....turn turn turn!

I'm trying to figure out how you came out of this turn and into a nice pull behind the boat in the first picture. Hmmm...I would have been in the water waiting for the boat to return. :)

Brent
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Try looking across the wakes at the shore line well before where your trying to ski too. I know that will help you pull through the wakes. Try to establish a rhythm even on both sides of the wake & gradually build up the intensity. Killer turns will follow soon after!:D

Farmer Ted
09-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out how you came out of this turn and into a nice pull behind the boat in the first picture. Hmmm...I would have been in the water waiting for the boat to return. :)

the answer is easy, I think.....

these shots don't go together.....

this turn didn't lead into the one of the pull

didn't intend to mislead, just the only two pictures posted.

betsy&david Harrison
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
the answer is easy, I think.....

these shots don't go together.....

this turn didn't lead into the one of the pull

didn't intend to mislead, just the only two pictures posted.
I sort of figured that! ;) Trying to work out my new ski I think I would have had a few twin pics :)

BrianM
09-10-2006, 10:38 PM
It finally feels like I'm pulling through the wake (first wake anyway) versus launching off it but after reviewing the film it doesn't look as good as that shot Andre posted.....

any pointers?

I know I need to head to a school or find a honest to goodness course skier that takes on charity work.....

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/wake.JPG

You need to let your arms all the way out, get the handle to the hip and lean. In this picture you are pulling with your arms.

cwright
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
At the risk of repeating;

Arms need to be straight out, handle on or near you hip.
Hips forward, chest up, shoulders back and try looking at the shore. If look at the boat and you ski to the boat.

Your ski is on edge though, and that is great. Congrats on everything your doing well.