PDA

View Full Version : The price of children........

Workin' 4 Toys
09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
The Price of Children...........
Something absolutely positive for a change. I have repeatedly seen the breakdown of the cost of raising a child, but this is the first time I have seen the rewards listed this way. It's nice. The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about price shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.
But $160,140.00 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into:
$8,896.66 a year,
$741.38 a month, or
$171.08 a wee k.
That's a mere $24.24 a day!
Just over a dollar an hour.
Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't have children if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the opposite.
What do you get for your $160,140.00?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day.
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no mat ter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.
For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up. You get to:
* finger-paint,
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs, and
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.
You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh,
* watch Saturday morning cartoons,
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars.
* You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect! spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother's Day, and cards with backward letters for Father's Day.
For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.
You get a front row seat in history to witness the:
* first step,
* first word,
* first bra,
* first date, and
* first time behind the wheel.
You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.
In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost. That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!
Love & enjoy your children & grandchildren & great-grandchildren !!!!!!!
It's the best investment you'll make!

bcampbe7
09-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Very cool W4T's! :cool: :cool: :cool:

east tx skier
09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
I like it. I like it. Sometimes I think about what the little dude costs, but then I take one look at him and forget all about it.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Am I on some type of watch list with you guys. The 2 mods jump on my thread like flies on ****...:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

3event
09-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for that, WFT !

Proving that in addition to the education and amusement available at TMC, visiting here can also be good for me !

Jesus_Freak
09-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks WFT. Nice treat.

6ballsisall
09-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Nice post Workin!! Put a smile back on my face!

RexDog1
09-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Very cool, thank you for that:toast:

But I am not ready for……….

* first bra, :eek3:

* first date:eek3:

starman205
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
W4T, thanks for the post. A nice way to end the work week. :D

captain planet
09-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks WFT. I have something to add based on your post.

My friends and I are in the beginning stages of raising families. I have a pair of 2 yr. old twins, one buddy has a 5 year old girl and a 2 year old boy, the other buddy has a 3 year old girl and a new-born girl (2 months). The buddy with the 5 year old and 2 year old are done (snip, snip....:eek3: ) The other buddy and I currently have a running joke about whether or not to have a third. When things are going good, everyone is happy (i.e. not whining, crying, or driving us crazy) we casually talk about, and say the number "3".

However, having three children between the two of us that are either 2 or 3 years old, we have been saying back and forth jokingly (and rather emphatically) 2!!!! And talking about driving to the nearest medical clinic for the snip, snip.

I will print off that post you put here and show it to my wife and my buddy and his wife. I bet that it will get us back to saying "3" a little more often.

Thanks again for a great thread.

SkiDog
09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I remember 9 years ago, one of my best friends called me and told me his wife was pregnant. I laughed, called him a dumb a$$, along with ribbing him about being 40 years old and being a new dad. Well, did HE get the last laugh! Cause 6 months later, I called him and told him my wife was pregnant! Talk about paybacks! Well, tomarrow, I get to take my SON to his very first football practice! I might be the oldest dad there, but damnit, I'll be the proudest one there! I always joke that I will be going to PTA, pushing my walker!:D

phecksel
09-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Just think teenagers, best birth control on the planet, LOL... And my kids are pretty good!

Granite_33
09-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Great Post!

Did I miss something, though?........Somewhere in there should be:

"For your precious little girl.......a great reason to buy a gun":D ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks WFT.
My friends and I are in the beginning stages of raising families. I have a pair of 2 yr. old twins, .
Not to put a damper on things, one of my buddies with twins thought the same thing. 1 1/2 years later had a SECOND SET of twins:eek: . Oh yeah, I failed to mention both sets are girls:eek3: ....... I couldn't imagine!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey hUMP meister.... Have you read this?????8p 8p 8p

east tx skier
09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Am I on some type of watch list with you guys. The 2 mods jump on my thread like flies on ****...:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Hee hee, you ought to see your file at headquarters.

Leroy
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Great one WFT!

I still contend getting married saved me money over how I spent when I was single, and having kids saves us money over what we would be doing without them!