PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

gene dobies
11-24-2004, 02:01 PM
and may everyone and their families have a safe Holiday also.

mitch
11-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Whatever Gene. Let's stay on topic, Boats or Miller Lite, your choice....

mitch
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Kidding of course :D Happy T-day to all!

sfitzgerald351
11-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Absolutely! Happy Thanksgiving!

Who's got good plans? As for me, we are heading up to the MIT Outing Club's rustic cabin in the woods of New Hampshire. We pop open a few bottles of wine, crank up a big bonfire, drop the turkey in the oven and regale our friends with stories that tend to be less and less believable as the day goes on (or is as the wine gets consumed... 8p ) Best dinner I've ever had.

Cheers!

JimN
11-24-2004, 04:54 PM
MIT? Do they tend to overthink the cooking process?

sfitzgerald351
11-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Not my gang... In general MIT undergrads are smart as hell, but lack common sense. The grad students are smart as hell, but have figured out how to get things done quickly. My gang is about half former grad students and the other half are friends and significant others.

So here's the 'official' turkey recipe.

Buy a turkey cooking bag at the store.
Stick the stuffing in the turkey and the turkey in the bag.
Throw the whole thing in the oven.
Go drink wine around the campfire for 2.5 hours
Pull turkey out and enjoy!

Let me tell you those turkey bags are the best. You can do a 24 lb turkey in less than 3 hours and the turkey self-bastes!

erkoehler
11-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Hope everyone enjoys there Thanksgiving, and remember Christmas is right around the corner!

lakes Rick
11-24-2004, 06:42 PM
BAH Humbug..........

BriEOD
11-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Not my gang... In general MIT undergrads are smart as hell, but lack common sense. The grad students are smart as hell, but have figured out how to get things done quickly. My gang is about half former grad students and the other half are friends and significant others.

So here's the 'official' turkey recipe.

Buy a turkey cooking bag at the store.
Stick the stuffing in the turkey and the turkey in the bag.
Throw the whole thing in the oven.
Go drink wine around the campfire for 2.5 hours
Pull turkey out and enjoy!

Let me tell you those turkey bags are the best. You can do a 24 lb turkey in less than 3 hours and the turkey self-bastes!

Dude, you have not had a turkey until you deep fry one! Yum, so tender, so good. It only takes about 3min/lb and frees up your oven for other stuff: pies, casseroles, bread. Fryers have really come down lately as well. You can get one for about $60-75 and all you need is some propane and peanut oil.

Everyone have some fun, drink some beer for all the guys across the pond in Iraq/Afghanistan getting shot at and watch some football.

Rick, you are one month to early man. Or should we start calling you Rick"enezer" Scrooge. :D

sfitzgerald351
11-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Dude, you have not had a turkey until you deep fry one!

I agree. I work with many of these MIT bozos from time to time and they always to a Thanksgiving lunch at the office that involves deep frying a turkey. Definitely good. But at the cabin, given the amount of wine that is consumed, deep frying could be hazardous. :eek:

sfitzgerald351
11-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Here's our redneck campfire setup. We always seem to get rain and/or snow and prefer to stay dry....

And no that's not me...

sfitzgerald351
11-29-2004, 11:20 PM
1 bottle each into the day had us holding log races down the hill... I'm happy to report that I won both heats and the final.

My buddy Steve on the left didn't go to MIT. Can you tell?

jimmer2880
11-30-2004, 06:01 AM
It looks like a lot of fun. Ohh the younger years....