PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe...winter packages...

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Anyone have any insight / suggestions about affordable snowboarding / skiing packages to the Tahoe area? Most likely Heavenly / Kirkwood area.

ski36short
09-08-2006, 12:39 PM
My friend arranges an annual easter weekend ski out there. We did Kirkwood fairly cheap and had a great time. Not sure on packages but I know what I paid was reasonable and I'd recommend that resort for sure. We stayed in condos on site - might have been off-season and/or group rates involved though.

P-Rod
09-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Every ski season we rent a house or condo for a week and ski several resorts. We tend to head to the North Shore area and ski the numerous resorts on that side of the lake (Squaw Valley, Northstar, Incline Village, Mt. Rose etc..). . There tends to be more resorts in a close proximity and that is why we head to North Shore.

Archimedes
09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Anyone have any insight / suggestions about affordable snowboarding / skiing packages to the Tahoe area? Most likely Heavenly / Kirkwood area.

Kirkwood's great but it's a little off the beaten path if you're looking for after ski activities. It's also a little harder to get in and out of if the weather turns seriously bad. It's my favorite area in Tahoe though.

Heavenly has the best views though and I noticed that the service/amenities there have gotten much better since they were bought out a few years ago by VA.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Any of you who go out there have any particular place you book thru for good deals, or any suggestions on places that can accomodate 4-8 people?

Current airfare costs seem to be bumping up the costs quite a bit.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I guess I limited myself too much in the thread title because we are open to places in CO, Tahoe, or Utah.

mbeach
09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
have skiied heavenly, kirkwood, northstar, mt. rose, and squaw. of these 4, prefer mt. rose first and northstar 2nd. favorite, however is utah and the little and big cottonwood canyons. do not like snowbird as much as alta (this is the one the local's like best). the other canyon has brighton and solitude which are less crowded. the other side of mountain has park city and deer valley as the prime spots. they are great ski area and stein erikson's at deer is top notch chow. all the utah skiing was prior to the olympics and the park city area is riddled with old silver mining structures making it totally cool. best of all, we usually stay at the downtown salt lake city embassy suites and always shut down early enough to relax with my favorite adult beverage(s) at the 2-hr free booze clinic lying about my exploits of the day. the cottonwood canyons were an easy 30-45 minute drive from the embassy. if you do not have your own equipment, there was a rental shop around the corner from the embassy that also sold discount lift tickets. i also have skiied most of eastern colorado (aspen and steamboat springs east), but still like utah best. there is a reason the utah license plate logo is greatest snow on earth. there, this should give you something to ponder.

Archimedes
09-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I guess I limited myself too much in the thread title because we are open to places in CO, Tahoe, or Utah.

Having skiied all over the West, I would highly recommend NOT planning your weeklong ski vacation in Tahoe for the simple reason that the weather here can change rapidly and the snow can suck big time. Tahoe is a great place to go for a couple of days, particularly when you know what the weather's going to be like. But I would not plan a ski trip months in advance unless you want to risk sitting in your hotel room while it either rains or the wind's blowing 80mph.

I've never skiied anywhere in Colorado, Utah or New Mexico where, midseason, it rained heavily right on the mountain. I've had that happen many times in Tahoe over the last 10 years.

You want great skiing at a reasonable price. Taos Mountain in Taos, NM. Definately off the beaten path though.