PDA

View Full Version : Ski New Melones, CA 9/8-9/10

rlivingood
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Another trip to New Melones. Will be there Fri, Sat, and Sunday until 2pm or so. Camping in Big Oak.

Rod

Archimedes
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Have fun. Just got back from four days at McClure. Never been to New Melones, but it's on our list for next summer.

P-Rod
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
It's a great lake, you will have a blast skiing it. I will be next door to you this weekend at Lake Don Pedro. Have a great time and enjoy the water.

ski36short
09-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I drove by that lake this spring. Looked like a great place for a ski getaway - wondered why I don't hear much about it online! Why not, any ideas?

rlivingood
09-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the well wishes we will ski it up.

This is a great lake. This is the 4th largest storage capacity lake in California: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/misc/resinfo.html if you don't count Powell and Mead (which aren't in CA anyway)

Shasta
Oroville
Trinity
New Melones

There are no launch charges, camping is $16 a night (no hookups), it is 15 minutes from Angles Camp and Mike's Pizza (when it's too hot and in need of AC). The 5 zone from launching is 2 minutes to fast water (as compared to some other places I've launched)

Only bummer is that it doesn't have an on the lake place to order a burger or beer. The marina does have the usual stuff.

Rod

flyingskibiker
09-08-2006, 01:29 AM
we used to houseboat there every year. right about this time. the first week of the lower rates. though, it usually conflicted w/ reno air races... ;) we used to tie up 3 mastercrafts, a sanger, and a run-about to the 2 big houseboats! good times... is the course still there?

we always wondered why so few people knew about the lake. but it was good for us that way!:D

have fun!