PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive adjustments

kidshanko
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Good afternoon

I have a 1990 PS 190 with a 1:1 velvet drive that is in need of adjsutment, not so velvet and makes it hard to park at our dock with many other boats around.

Is this something I can do myself??

nearest MC deraler is 5 hours away

thanks...........reg

T Scott
09-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Can you be more specific? What is the tranny doing that makes you feel it is out of adjustment. Typically, the only adjustments you can do is to simply adjust the linkage.

Hunterb
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I have the exact same boat and concur with the post above. There really are no adjustments, except for the cable. They go frontwards, backwards and stay put in neutral and that's it. Make sure your fluid is right up (check it immediately after shutting the motor off). Provide the symptoms with as much detail as possible and I'm sure someone on here will know how to fix it.

Bruce

Bert
09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
I have the exact same boat and concur with the post above. There really are no adjustments, except for the cable. They go frontwards, backwards and stay put in neutral and that's it. Make sure your fluid is right up (check it immediately after shutting the motor off). Provide the symptoms with as much detail as possible and I'm sure someone on here will know how to fix it.

Bruce
I don't know about his but one of my ski partners has some thing strange whith his velvet drive. It is a 91, 1:1 ratio. When the throttle is moved ahead the transmission does not engage. If you pump the throttle a bit it will rev up and engage. Once in gear it seems normal, pulls strong with no slippage. Is that a cable out of adjustment or some thing internal ?

88 PS190
09-05-2006, 08:22 PM
i'd call that fluid level bert.

These transmissions have a forward drive pack that locks up solid when you set it to forwards even at an idle.

If you need to rev it its not making pressure or the pressure isn't making it to the plates.

My guess, fluid level, next thought cable adjustment, and last pump.

Bert
09-05-2006, 08:32 PM
i'd call that fluid level bert.

These transmissions have a forward drive pack that locks up solid when you set it to forwards even at an idle.

If you need to rev it its not making pressure or the pressure isn't making it to the plates.

My guess, fluid level, next thought cable adjustment, and last pump.
That's what I thought and his fluid level is full and he has been told it might be a valve body plugged up. I suppose it could be a restriction of some sort preventing the drive pack from locking up or a bad pump. I didn't think to ask him what he used for oil when he changed it. I am assuming he used a type A oil. Could the wrong type of oil cause this condition.

kidshanko
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, it is appreciated.

My issue is that when it goes into drive, it pushes forward too fast, not a lunge, but forward all the same.
I have driven my neighbors MC 2005 X2 and it barely creeps unti you throttle up.

My motor almost always stalls when going into reverse, you have to feed the trottle with a delicate touch to avoid the stall, and not to jump too far in reverse (rev's).

any suggestions??

It does engage OK both ways though

88 PS190
09-06-2006, 07:48 PM
What's the idle RPM like??

if its idling fast its going to be a hard engagement and it'll take off.

that sounds like your issue kidshanko

Hunterb
09-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Idle speed should be 600-800 in gear I believe. These boats do go fast at an idle. It should be smooth in and out of gear and a whining sound is normal in reverse. You say it stalls going into reverse but this is not an issue when engaging forward gear? Just to eliminate something really strange have you checked how easily your shaft is to turn, both directions, with the motor off? It should turn quite easily. Have you had the boat for a while? I know that when I first got mine a couple of years ago I had a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get it into my slip without having to throw my body between my boat and the neighbour's boat. I have to constantly cycle in and out of gear when parking or it's a gong show. Check your idle RPM and let us know exactly what the symptoms are and someone will have the answer for you.

Good luck

Bruce