PDA

View Full Version : 9/11

tex
09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Anybody had to fly on 9/11 in the past? We will this year. Just wondering what to expect at the airports.

H20skeefreek
09-05-2006, 07:56 AM
If it's anything like any other day, security will be a joke. I flew a month after 9/11, and accidently got through security with a small swiss army knife. So, to not cause any problems for myself I went back to security and tried to surrender the knife, they told me to keep it and they'd take it at the next security station, which was just random bag checks at boarding. I didn't get checked. Makes you feel real safe doesn't it.

It makes me realize what a biggoted racist society we are.

Farmer Ted
09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Flew home from Frankfurt on 9-11-2002 with 3 shotguns as checked baggage.

There were probably 15 people on the 767 to Atlanta.

The only way Airport Security will be faultless is to get the Mosad to come run it, but we as consumers would bark at the cost/increase in ticket prices.

JimN
09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
H20- in theory, someone of any race could be doing this stuff but that's not reality. With the exception of the few non-Arabs who apparently have no friends, hate their families and think the world is out to get them, the terrorists are fairly similar looking. You may not like it but when patterns present themselves, people and their plans are easier to find. That's called profiling and it works.

OTOH, when was the last time you saw airport security personnel who seemed like anything more than low-skilled, low paid people who don't have any ambition? Or, like the one I know, bad attitude minimal personality low self-esteem hasn't recovered from a really bad breakup (15 years ago). To be fair, she should have asked him to move out before telling him to sleep on the couch so she could move some other guy into the bedroom.

They don't all do their job well and apparently don't see how it affects things. Some do, like the ones at LAX when I flew the last time. They did thorough searches but still moved people through efficiently.

Danimal
09-05-2006, 09:20 AM
I will be flying home from Ft Worth to Milwaukee on Sept 11th. Needless to say I will be very aware of all of my surroundings that morning. My wife is a little geeked out because of me flying that day but there really isn't any other options. I told her to make sure the life insurance is up to date - yeah, I know - I'm a jerk:rolleyes:

shepherd
09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
If I was a terrorist, I don't think I'd try to hijack a plane on 9/11. I'd pick a day when security wasn't on heightened alert :cool:

Besides, look at the odds. On any given day there are thousands of planes in the air. Even if a plane is hijacked on the day you fly, odds are pretty good it won't be the plane you're on.

But to answer your question Tex, I heard on the news this morning that they plan on stepping up security at the airports so you might want to plan a little extra time at the terminal...

Maristar210
09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Tex,

I think you could expect long lines. Better enjoy a Sapphire (sp?) martini before hand in the airport lounge:friday:

tex
11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Let us never forget!

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
In September 2003, went went to CT to visit fellow TT member kas and his family for a few days. We rode the train from Milford, CT to New York City on Sept 11 and kept thinking all day long while touring the city in the subway, cabs, and walking, WHAT IF? I was glad to return to Milford and get off the train at days end!