PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tour?

gene dobies
11-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Wow. I was just emailed by my dealer that my PS190 goes into production tomorrow and should be finished by Dec. 15th. Anyone ever take a factory tour? What airport would be closest to fly into?

Ric
11-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Excellent, my 197 is "supposed to" ship this week
I never thought of taking a factory tour while MY boat was being built. Great Idea!

bcampbe7
11-22-2004, 01:00 PM
I would think the Knoxville, TN airport would be the closest. McGee Tyson is the name of the airport.

Summary: 23.1 miles (30 minutes)
Depart McGhee Tyson Airport on Local road(s) (East) 0.1 mi
Turn LEFT (North-East) onto Airport Access Rd 0.4 mi
Turn LEFT (South) onto Ramp 98 yds
Bear RIGHT (South) onto US-129 [Alcoa Hwy] 9.1 mi
Continue (South-West) on US-411 13.2 mi
Bear RIGHT (West) onto Dawson St 0.3 mi
Continue (South-West) on Depot St 65 yds
Arrive Vonore

SUMMARY
Driving distance: 23.1 miles
Driving time: 30 minutes

Mag_Red
11-22-2004, 01:21 PM
I wish I would have done the tour while my boat was being built last year. I was planning on it, but as the time drew near, business had increased to a frantic pace and couldn't take the time to do it. Had I been there, I could have stopped them from installing the wrong motor in my boat! :eek: Seemed the dealer incorrectly marked mine as a 310 HP instead of the 350 HP MCX :uglyhamme

Ric
11-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm currently having nightmares about such mistakes Red.
Gene let us know what you find out about a tour and also if you do talk to them, what days are tours available?

dmac
11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Definately post that info, I would love to do a factory tour and I bet I can make a day trip out of it.

captkidd
11-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Years ago when I did my tour they were available during normal business hours Monday-Thursday (they weren't working on Fridays back then, and I don't know if they are now). I didn't know this and went on a Friday, but they were gracious enough to give us a tour anyway (Skip Gilkerson actually did the tour himself), we just didn't get to see any actual work going on.

prostar205
11-22-2004, 03:22 PM
I have been lucky enough to take 3 factory tours and I live in Seattle, WA. My last one was in 2002. I believe they only give tours Monday - Thursdays at 2:00 pm. I was great and I would suggest it to anyone ordering a new boat.

Have fun.

mitch
11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Mag, Are you happy w/ the 310HP?

bcampbe7
11-22-2004, 03:54 PM
It's sad to say but I am only 2.5 hours from MC and have never been there. I need to make that trip!

TTAdmin
11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Tours:
M-T at 2:00pm. Make a reservation at least 24 hrs in advance.

423-884-2221

If you want to make a day out of it schedule tours at Malibu and Supra/Moomba the same day. All three factories are within 30-45 minutes of each other. Taking all three tours will be very enlightening...especially if you are considering purchasing one of their boats.

Ric
11-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks Admin, what is the tour like? I mean, would we actually get to see our boat being built if we made the tour at the right time or are those areas more or less off limits?

Mag_Red
11-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Mag, Are you happy w/ the 310HP? :dance: :banana: :D For my needs.........hell yeah!

Leroy
11-22-2004, 07:32 PM
I did the tour last Easter and it was great, really open door policy, they want you to see everything and let the others try to match. I even filmed and took pictures throughout the factory. I've never seen another company do that with their factory. I really came away feeling great about my boat choice....especially after walking through the fiberglass area :purplaugh

mitch
11-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Mag, Think of the $$ you saved. The 310 seems plenty for us too. Cya!

André
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
How much of an upgrade is the 350 MCX?

TCrate
11-22-2004, 09:42 PM
My 9 yr old son and I did a tour this summer.. I have been through the Nautique factory and now the MCraft factory. There is a difference. My son was totally into what was going on. Email Mastercraft and they will set you up. No sweat.

Mag_Red
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
How much of an upgrade is the 350 MCX?something like $2100

Hoosier Bob
11-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Give me torque! What are the torque differences in the two? You maybe surprised. I may be wrong but acceleration, I thought, came from torque and top speed from horsepower. I would assume the torque numbers maybe similar enough that you would not have much of an acceleration difference.
Of course I could be wrong! :confused:

mitch
11-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Bob, You'll notice a huge diff going from the 351 to an TBI 350. I was amazed.

MYMC
11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Hoosier, you are correct.

Torque is the "ability to do work"
Horsepower is a mathematical expression of torque at a given RPM
HP=(TQxRPM)\5252
As you can see the higher the torque value at a given RPM the higher the HP rating will be. What peak power numbers don’t tell you mean more than what they do tell you. A formula one engine makes northward of 800hp; however, if it is a Ferrari F1 engine it is turning in excess of 20,000 RPM to do so (not much good in a boat). It is the torque numbers from idle to “normal running RPM” that meant he most…this is often referred to the “area under the curve”.

Indmar will not quote torque ratings; however, given the long runners of the MCX, I would bet it is at least 20ft/lbs better everywhere...not to mention more fuel efficient (again due to the long runners).

Mag_Red
11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Bob, You'll notice a huge diff going from the 351 to an TBI 350. I was amazed.Amazed in what way??? :confused:

mark8fan
11-24-2004, 07:02 PM
I have been to MasterCraft 5 times. Everytime you go, you see something different. It is important to go and see the quality of the MasterCraft being built. Then take a tour of Supra/Moomba in Maryville and Malibu has a plant nearby as well. You will see the difference in the construction! :D What the competiton hides while building a boat is amazing. Also the materials that they use don't compare to MC. If you can see your boat on the line, that would be exciting. Who knows, you might be able to go on the lake in your new boat with the factory boat tester.

Michael Epp
11-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I did the tour last January 2004 hoping to see my X-10 go through. Unfortunately it wasn't in production the day I was there. No problem since I was able to speak to the fellow that was doing the MC by Design add-ons. I discussed with him exactly what I wanted done. He helped me with my selection of accessories. The tour was the "best". The national sales manager took me around. I met many of the senior executives. Since I had traded an 03 Response LXI on my X-10 they were particularly interested in my decision. Plus I toured the Malibu plant before coming over to the MC plant (1/2 hour drive). We did a lake test in an X-Star (quite an experience!). Later that same day I toured the Moomba / Supra plant (1/2 hour drive) so I got my fill of fibreglass dust and smell!! I strongly recommond a plant tour. I know that I have a much better appreciation for my X-10 after seeing how they are made and meeting the people that create all this fun for our families. I shared specifics of my trip in an earlier posting.

Hoosier Bob
11-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Are we talking going from a 285 carb 351 to a 275 TBI 350? I know the smoothness and crisp lowend is there but I do not see much torque difference. Anyway I am giving up on the power trip. The 285 in my setup will do fine, once the blower and n o s are installed. Can you ever have too much? My boat launches as is and this is after having a 53 Mph mid seventies CC. I cannot imagine a better boat than my low hour 1993 prostar 285, and I won't until I can afford one!
Happy Turkey Day!
PS. Thanks MYMC you had me at hello!Bob, You'll notice a huge diff going from the 351 to an TBI 350. I was amazed.

mitch
11-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Mag, Moving from the carb 351 to the 350 Chevy was awesome for me. I picked up 35 HP. much smoother, better starting, more holeshot, quicker acceleration all the way thru, easier on the gas. And this is a heavier boat. So yes 'I' was amazed, as I have always been a Ford guy, (currently drive an Excursion, and a Ranger), and was not expecting the Chebby to perform so well. BTW, I was also amazed my Red Sox won the world series!!!!!! :D

Jim@BAWS
11-25-2004, 06:37 PM
There are even some dealers out there who have not taken a tour
of the factory...to bad for them. I took the tour in July of 03. After seeing photos of our 2 nearest competitors factories and there procedures, it gives both the owners and the people who represent the product a huge advantage of how MasterCrafts are made and why they are made the way they are . As a dealer I would love to offer a potential buyer some kind of sales incentive to take a tour to see how a MasterCraft is made. I would have over a 90% sales sucess rate if people saw how they are made and why... meticulous attention to detail and quality control.

MasterCraft has nothing to hide...others do. See for yourself and see why

MASTERCRAFT IS HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD :woohoo: :woohoo:

gene dobies
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
I am so excited my tour is tomorrow. Hopefully my PS190 will be in final assembly. I can't wait. I did as you all suggested I did set up a tour with Malibu the next morning before I leave but all I really want to see is the MasterCraft Factory for sure. My flight out of here is 5:45 am tomorrow so it will be an early morning for sure, to the airport by about 4:15 am. I am out of vacation time too and might get in trouble for taking time without pay for this but I don't care. I am going and excited.

Leroy
12-07-2004, 09:03 AM
I went through last Easter, you will not be disappointed. Very open tour.

Norris
12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Ordering a 245 (spec out like a X45 with tower ect.). From what I have seen the dealers get a window time for changes and production times for example of 90,60,30,10 days (not sure of real dates).

Does anyone know if that is the case I would guess my dealer would know or at least get a date that my boat would be in the final stages, correct?

With that data, what would be a good time to see "your" boat in production or does it matter?

Ric
12-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Dealer told me that after we placed the order there was an amount of time for changes but didnt specify a cutoff date.
I called to change an item later and of course, the cutoff date had occurred 3 days prior!
I'm not sure how you'd know when yours was in production and my dealer certainly didnt know. I would have liked to have seen mine being built as well but picked up on the idea a little too late as my dealer says the projected finish date is next monday. (I really dont want to pay 500 or so round trip to go see MY boat in production, so I may plan it a little better and visit the factory in 05 some time)
Chris at the factory said it doesnt matter whether you see YOURS or not because they build them all with the same specs. Of course there is that warm feeling of actually seing YOURS being built though!

Oh and dealer said 6-8 weeks on an order and I order mine 8 weeks ago so I'd say that's pretty accurate if they finish this week or early next...

MYMC
12-07-2004, 01:48 PM
We as dealers specify a "requested ship date" that is taken into account when the boat is scheduled. In the case of new boats this request may or may not work out...due to demand and orders preceeding yours.

We are given a spray date which is when the boat will begin production...this date can, may and will vary from time to time depending on flow through the plant.

The best way to see YOUR boat going down the line is to have your dealer let you know the scheduled production date.

What engine did you order in your 245?

Norris
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
We as dealers specify a "requested ship date" that is taken into account when the boat is scheduled. In the case of new boats this request may or may not work out...due to demand and orders preceeding yours.

We are given a spray date which is when the boat will begin production...this date can, may and will vary from time to time depending on flow through the plant.

The best way to see YOUR boat going down the line is to have your dealer let you know the scheduled production date.

What engine did you order in your 245?

MYMC,

Thanks I will ask them production date. I do remember on the new 245 was looking like early march for delivery.

We ordered with a MCX 350 HP. ( your opinion?)

MYMC
12-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Congratulations! The MCX boat ran well, are you adding the ballast system as well?

Norris
12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Congratulations! The MCX boat ran well, are you adding the ballast system as well?

Yes ballast was added back in as well. This boat will be just like a loaded x45 but because of the limited color choices/options we had to jump to the Maristar 245 (same boat) which MSRP is about $100 more after all the options added back in.

We really liked the x45 but the available gel colors didn't fit our likings. So we went the way of the 245 which had many more gel coat color options and was a little less "x gamish".

Some of the other options I also remember adding back in
MCX
Tower
4 tower lights (2 front, 2 rear)
4 tower speakers
Sub
ballast
Perfect Pass (I think thats the name)
Fiberglass rear platform
Table option
many more I can't think of :friday:

MYMC
12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a great boat...I sent you a message about your option list.

Norris
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a great boat...I sent you a message about your option list.

Got it and I sent you a note at the address given.

Thanks

WakePowell
12-08-2004, 11:13 AM
What gel-coat colors did you go with on the 245?

I have ordered an X-45 and am on the fence as far as colors go. Currently I have it ordered as a solid Monterey Blue and think that I will have the decals deleted.

It is tough to determine a color combination without many actual pictures of the boat and no build-a-boat option on the Mastercraft web site.

Norris
12-09-2004, 09:49 AM
What gel-coat colors did you go with on the 245?

I have ordered an X-45 and am on the fence as far as colors go. Currently I have it ordered as a solid Monterey Blue and think that I will have the decals deleted.

It is tough to determine a color combination without many actual pictures of the boat and no build-a-boat option on the Mastercraft web site.

I agree it is hard to dertermine a combo without the "build a boat" help on the web site.

BUT

Your dealer has access to the dealers site which allows you to make up a boat and shows you the actual picture as you make changes. I strongly suggest calling them and sit down to do it and they can print it out so you can take a few day to decide.

Why mastercraft does not have it online yet is a huge disapointment for many. But going to the dealer is OK for me.

Sorry but our color combo is top secret :dance:

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Wow. I was just emailed by my dealer that my PS190 goes into production tomorrow and should be finished by Dec. 15th. Anyone ever take a factory tour? What airport would be closest to fly into?
Here is a pic of the new boat at the factory. Jason at the plant was kind enough to send me a few since when I went for the tour last week my boat was still in the mold. Tour was great though.

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Here is a pic of the new boat at the factory. Jason at the plant was kind enough to send me a few since when I went for the tour last week my boat was still in the mold. Tour was great though.
I keep having trouble with pics.

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:41 PM

hope this pic works

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I keep having trouble with pics.
#2 still hoping

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
number three of 5

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:45 PM
number three of 5
they look like they are coming out ok

gene dobies
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
they look like they are coming out ok
hope you're not all bored. I was so excited when I first saw the pics.

MYMC
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Great looking boat! Not often you see an LQ9 190 being built...congrats.

gene dobies
12-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Great looking boat! Not often you see an LQ9 190 being built...congrats.
Now I can't wait till it gets to the dealer, and then I can't wait till I get it in the water in the spring. Hopefully 2nd or 3rd week of April in the water.

Ric
12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Beautiful boat! Those pics really get the blood pumping!

east tx skier
12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Awesome looking boat in all respects.

MarkP
12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
gene,

OMG!! Thats nice!!!:toast: . Thanks for the shots.

G-man
12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Looks awsome. Knoxville is where you fly into, plant is 30-45 minutes away.

André
12-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Gene
Very nice boat! Congrats.
Prepare for the longest winter of your life!

WakePowell
12-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Gene,

Is your boat Monterey Blue? It sure looks nice.

gene dobies
01-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks, yes it is Monterey Blue

X-45
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Tours:
M-T at 2:00pm. Make a reservation at least 24 hrs in advance.

423-884-2221

If you want to make a day out of it schedule tours at Malibu and Supra/Moomba the same day. All three factories are within 30-45 minutes of each other. Taking all three tours will be very enlightening...especially if you are considering purchasing one of their boats.
Are all models built at the same time. If not when would be a good time to go see an X-45. How long can I stay in the plant.

Ric
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Are all models built at the same time. If not when would be a good time to go see an X-45. How long can I stay in the plant.
I don't know if it was every single model, but they had many different models being built when I was there in June.
It is a fascinating trip. These are still hand made boats, trailers and interiors. It's quite a site to see.

-

edit, oh ya and don't be dumb like me.... I drove from nashville where everyone confirmed the time was the same as mine in HOU. BUT, Vonore is eastern time. Ric was late. Sorry Chris! :wavey:

Jayc
07-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Got friends who are an hour away and one day I'll make the trip over and make sure I'll take a tour while there.

TTAdmin
07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
All models are being built at the same time....

rlwiley
07-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I went in Feb. of this year. My boat was in production but they cannot guarantee you that you will see your boat. The tour is awesome. I had never seen a boat being built. It makes glad that you did not settle on second best. I would recommend the tour to anyone that owns or plans to own a Mastercraft. We also went to the Malibu factory that is just down the road. The guy that did the Mastercraft tour told us to go check out the differences in the way the boats are made.

H2OGirl
07-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Just got home from my second tour this year, yup it is still worth it!! I'd go see it again if I had the chance. Too bad Vonore is 13 hours away, that is a long drive. Wish we would've gone and seen the Malibu plant, never thought of it would've been nice to compare quality.