PDA

View Full Version : a weird pocket on my original cover

cwright
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I have an 88PS190 and what I believe to be the original cover. I garage my boat so I have not used very much, but last night I did, and I discovered a piece of vinyl sewn into the underside of the cover with a vinyl tube sewn into the seam as well. When the cover is on and in position, this pocket would be right behind the motor box (transom side). I've been surprised that there ins't any reinforcement up at the pylon, now I'm wondering if MC orignally had a PVC stand or something similar, that goes into this sleeve/tube, cut just the right height to hold the cover up taut. Does anybody have an original cover with this feature? What was the intended purpose? If it was factory pvc stand, does anyone have the specs so I can imitate the factory equipment?

88 PS190
09-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Um, ours doesn't have a pocket but the rear pole goes right there, into a reinforcement.

Then I toss a Pole onto the pylon.

TMCNo1
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
The pocket was for a rubber tipped cover pole to go in, to keep it in and from moving out of place. In '89 they went to a cover pole behind the motor box and at the plyon with a female cover snap on the end of the poles and male cover snaps in the cover with reinforcements sewn in the cover. The one at the pylon was placed there, to tent the area to keep water from puddling behind the windshield when the boat is parked. Most covers don't rub on the pylon or sag at highway speeds because the windshield acts like a spoiler and creates a low pressure area behind the windshield, sucking the cover up into a bubble.