PDA

View Full Version : Key on, no gauges, engine cranks but won't start??

ShawnE
09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Help! I just started vacation.

Yesterday afternoon just after going thru no wake zone I push the throttle forward and the engine quit. When I turn the key to ON, I get no gauges. When I attempt to start, the engine turns over just fine but won't fire up. I have read most of the electrical posts and and don't seem to find this combo of problem.

Thanks in advance!
ShawnE

TMCNo1
09-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Could be the kill switch, take the clip off, spray some WD-40 in it, reattach and try again, or the neutral safety switch on the transmission. To test, take both wires off the terminals on the switch in the transmission and hook them together and see if it cranks, if it does crank, replace the switch with one from SKIDIM.

BTW, I like the glass cutter avatar!

ShawnE
09-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tip! do you know where on the tranny the neutral switch located on the '92 PS205?

My wife does leaded/stained glass for a living. It seemed fitting for the boat and avatar.

thanks again

ShawnE

T Scott
09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I think it is likely the kill switch as well. I believe if it was the tranny neutral switch, the motor wouldn't crank at all. Do as TMC #1 suggested and check the kill switch up by the key. If all seems OK with it, it is possible the switch itself is shorting out. If that is the case, take out the kill switch, cut the two wires behind it and twist them together, then try to start the motor. Not a good idea to "hot wire" the kill switch for safety reasons, but it will get you through your vacation. Let us know how it turns out.

ShawnE
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
THANKS FOR SAVING OUR VACATION!!

Many thanks to T Scott and TMCNo1.

The kill switch was the culprit. The WD40 to the switch didn't work so I bypassed it by making a jumper in the purple ignition wire between the ignition switch and the hour meter behind the dash panel. This way I didn't destroy any components or clip any leads. This a temp fix til I order a new switch.

Thanks again guys! This forum is the best!

ShawnE

T Scott
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Glad you are back on the water! Have a safe Labor day and a great vacation.

Tom

TMCNo1
09-03-2006, 04:39 PM
THANKS FOR SAVING OUR VACATION!!

Many thanks to T Scott and TMCNo1.

The kill switch was the culprit. The WD40 to the switch didn't work so I bypassed it by making a jumper in the purple ignition wire between the ignition switch and the hour meter behind the dash panel. This way I didn't destroy any components or clip any leads. This a temp fix til I order a new switch.

Thanks again guys! This forum is the best!

ShawnE

Way to go, glad we all could help!