PDA

View Full Version : Sharkskin covers

TalleyHo
11-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Anyone having problems w/ condensation using a sharkskin cover? This cover rocks - it fits like a glove, but almost too tight. I realize they don't breathe very well, if at all, but man external water is not getting to the boat. The problem is however, that the internal condensation is getting everything soaking wet -- so much so that the connectors on the amps have some rust on them.

I've got the Hurricane/Westland vented pole, but I"m a little hesitant to cut a 1.5" hole in my new cover! I'm curious if anyone else has been down this road already. I thought about getting some sort of glue, or vinyl repair kit, and re-inforcing the area that I am going to have to cut. I want to do whatever I can to prevent any tears or future rips from the hole.

Leroy
11-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Tallyho; I would call the manufacter before cutting, the ads seem to brag about reducing humidity problems.

Does it sit outside where you need it this tight? I have canvas, but leave it pretty loose since it's under cover at the marina slip.

BriEOD
11-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I believe they make some kind of tray/can you can put in the boat that absorbs moisture. I can't remember what it has in it. Someone help me out here.

dwe
11-21-2004, 02:56 PM
I tried the damp rid trays, and don't think they're worth the trouble. I put two of the large containers in, and the media has to be replaced once a week. I really can't tell a difference with or without them. I put styrafoam blocks (2) on the side between the boat and cover to create a vent, and that seems to be working ok. Ideally if I were close to a power outlet, I'd leave a fan in the boat, and just plug it in for a few minutes a couple times a month.

Leroy
11-21-2004, 04:39 PM
DWE; Is this just sitting and getting condensation or from skiing? Is it in the open or under cover? DO you have water in the hull the bilge isn't able to pump out? I remember someone before having good results from a device you sit in there, but had to change the cartridge often.

AirJunky
11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
So first of all when you put a non-breatheable cover on a boat, not only do you block all the moisture from getting in, but you also block any moisture from getting out. And temparature changes are going to cause condensation. For this reason, Sunbrella is about the best out there. And this is coming from a guy who lives in the NW US where it rains more than most other places. That said, I've never seen a Sharkskin cover used in this area at all. And the ones I have seen being used (down in Texas & TN) always had a hooded vent or two mounted in the cover to allow the inside to breathe.
I've used the Dry-Z-Air dryers (3 in my 205) for years with amazing success. I have to replace the pellets about once a month (about $1 per bag), and empty the water they collect about once a week. It's unreal how much moisture they collect.....pure witchcraft. ;)

crdickey
11-21-2004, 10:30 PM
I use one of these and an extension cord. I also use the cord for a trickle charger I keep on the battery. Bought it from Overton's, they have three sizes. This one covers 1000 sq. ft. $59.00

My Shark skin cover has two hooded vents, drivers side and passenger side.

"Win The Battle Against Mold and Mildew - The safe, inexpensive and effective way to fight mildew, mold and corrosion. The Air-DryrŪ pulls damp air through the bottom base panel, then heats it and releases it through the top and perforated surface. Ideal for boat, RV, home or any area with moisture build-up. Trouble-free operation, no switch, no fan, no thermostat breakdown. Safe around fabrics. Costs no more than the burning of a light bulb! Model 1000 is recommended for enclosed areas up to 1000 cu. ft. 13-1/2" dia. x 3-1/2"H. 110 volt. 130 watts"

TalleyHo
11-21-2004, 10:44 PM
My baby has to sleep outside. I figure the condensation is mostly from the hot days and cool nights. There is probably some due to the boat being still damp as well. I dry it as much as I can, but lately we've been getting rained on as we are heading back to the ramp. I've thought about a fan, and I've tried putting the swim noodles on the sides to create a vent, but even then, it doesn't seem like it does enough.

I picked up one of the moisture tubs from WM today -- we'll see if it helps any.

ski36short
11-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Did you get your cover from Overton's? Some critters chewed mine up this summer while it was in the closet. Between that and the bird nesting/spring mess in the boat I think next year's plan is to use the cover until June/July then go to the canopy. That would require a new cover and I was considering the Sharkskin in Overton's.

Are the Tournament Team covers provided with those boats Sharkskin? I've noticed they have vents sown right in - a plastic cup facing down near the driver. I can't remember the exact location on the cover so maybe it's for something else like a rope coming from the cleat.

Diesel
11-22-2004, 04:03 PM
So first of all when you put a non-breatheable cover on a boat, not only do you block all the moisture from getting in, but you also block any moisture from getting out. And temparature changes are going to cause condensation. For this reason, Sunbrella is about the best out there. ;)

This is so true. The single most important feature of a cover should be breathabiltiy. Stay away from coated fabrics they are not breathable and will cause damage.

Sunbrella is highly breathable and will last longer than your boat. Yes it costs more upfront but it will be the last cover you buy.

I have had good luck with this company...........

www.boatcoversdirect.com

Good luck............

OD

TalleyHo
11-22-2004, 11:08 PM
I used iboats.net, and unfortunately, there isn't a sewn in vent.

I went w/ the sharkskin b/c of the success a friend has had -- however, his cover doesn't fit quite as tight, and he doesn't have the condensation issues I'm having. I wanted sunbrella, but I didn't forsee the problems (at this severity) that I'm seeing now. Live and learn I guess.

crdickey
11-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Just take it to a local canvas tent /awning / cover fabricator and have them add a vent or two. Probably $10.00 each.

dwe
11-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Leroy,
I would towel dry excess water before putting the boat away, so there was some moisture from that. I had to replace all the pellets once a week. It's pretty humid where I am, combined w/ some moisture in the carpets. However, venting the gunnels seemed to have about the same success for me. I may put the damprids back in over the winter, since all the carpets are totally dry, and maybe the pellets will last longer.