PDA

View Full Version : What ski size fo kids?

crdickey
11-20-2004, 11:26 AM
I need to buy a slalom ski to teach my 6 year old. She is ready to advance from 2 skis and I don't want to just use 1/2 of a combo set.

48 pounds, kids size 13 shoe

Brand?
Size?

Leroy
11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
CR;

For us we found it difficult until they were 9-12 years old, but each kid is different. Getting up seems to be a challenge for that age, and me... We found a wider ski, with concave bottom, and still have the bar for friends was best. But maybe you want dedicated salom, I'm no help there! I think you are on the edge of being able to us something like the O'Brien Amigo's, which also have the bar and are a double and would last several years, I know of 13-14 kids still skiing on those. We bought similar model, can't remember name, (HO or O'Brien brand) not as wide as Amigo but work very well with daughter that is 9 and 75 pounds and size 8 adult, but she was on the upper range of those skis.

Will be interested to see other info here also.

André
11-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Leroy
Age 9,size 8 adult???
Future barefooter!

Leroy
11-20-2004, 11:28 PM
André; Yes, my kids will all be tall thanks to my wife's side, she has 4 brothers from 6'3" to 6'7", I'm a shrimp around there at ~5'11"! My 16 year old son is in 13-14's, my 13 year old son is in 11-12's and Heather at 9 is in 8's! Both boys went past my size, next I'll be wearing hand me down girl shoes. :o I do think my 16 year old helped stretch out my really tight wakeboard bindings this summer!

However, I think it is more in the arms than feet for the footers. Just look at any footer.

rmc1
11-21-2004, 06:47 AM
my daughter stated kiing at age 2. She skied on the beginner skis first
on slalom ski by 5
the best thing I found out was teh use of a ski/barefoot boom to we started out with putting her trainer ski to begin with while she was on the boom had her lift on ski to find out which she liked best, left ft or right ft foward. once she felt comfortable with that we had her try riding on one ski while on the boom, teaching her the feel of comming up on one ski and riding on the ski. once she got the feel of comming up on the boom I added a 5' handle to the boom and taught he up on the handle. When she decided to go to the 75' line she was up and skiing on the second try and was able to cut across the wakes almost as soon as she came up. The purpose of the boom, gives conifiednce because you are close and not way up there in the boat. As for the ski any ski that is made for her weght is good, because I found out as they get better they will want a better ski. It takes time patiences and a lot of encouragement on your part.

today my 23 yr old daughter is still skiing and loving it. she is now skiing into 28 off and will probbly be into 32 off by next spring

good luck and give her much encouragement

André
11-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Leroy
True that todays teens looks taller and bigger then me at that age.
With 4 brothers in law like that ,you must have been a real gentlemen on your first dates with your wife!!!LOL
Take Care

rmc1
I think the boom is the easiest and very friendly for anybody to start waterskiing,no matters their age.
Is 28 off enough to beat dad?

rmc1
11-21-2004, 06:32 PM
have used the boom for years with much success getting many people up without drowning them in the process

Andre

she beats me big time, with the time and money it took to get her to that level my time dropped

east tx skier
11-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm not really sure what's commercially available for somebody that size, but another alternative is to keep your eyes out for those old wooden skis on ebay. I'd think something in the low 60" range would work. Make sure the ski has a flat bottom and one of those huge metal fins on it. Combine that with a trainer handle and you're good to go.

NSXBill
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I need to buy a slalom ski to teach my 6 year old. She is ready to advance from 2 skis and I don't want to just use 1/2 of a combo set.

48 pounds, kids size 13 shoe

Brand?
Size?

I was in the same situation last summer with my 8-yr old.

Once you graduate from the tied-together little wood skis, the choices are somewhat limited because the youth skis are much bigger. 57" were the smallest youth combos I saw, and I would have had to order those.

The ski she uses is one of a pair of HO youth combos, 59", I think. I just got them at Sports Authority, but Galyans (probably not a common store) has them also...$100-120 for a pair. She's a normal 8-yr old, kinda on the skinny side though, weight-wise.

Using one of the two youth combos as a slalom ski is actually kinda cool: fibreglass, concave bottom, tapered to the rear, tournament-"style" fin with vent holes, etc. Cool for an 8 yr old.

IMO, a 6-8 yr old starting out slaloming doesn't require the stiffness of advanced composites, double high-wraps, and tuned hydrodynamic shapes.

See this thread for how I tought her to slalom: two skis on boom, two skis w/ handle on boom, two skis behind the boat, one ski on boom, and then (skipping the handle on the boom step) straight to behind the boat with one of those deep-V handles.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34

Bill

atlfootr
11-30-2004, 07:56 AM
NO SIZE! Forget any size ski .... teach her to barefoot, instead! :D
She'll thank us both, for providing her the opportunity at such a young age.

(jpg of Nephew barefoot'n @ 6 to follow) ;)

MarkP
12-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Atlfooter

Are you saying “ski, we don’t need no stinking ski”