PDA

View Full Version : I had to get towed in this morning

mepatterson74
08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
We were out wakeboarding this morning with perfect conditions. While towing a friend my 1991 MC Prostar 190 just died like it was out of gas. When i got home i checked the fuel filter and it was fine. And it doesn't look like any gas is getting to the carburetor. What can i do to check the fuel pump to see if it is working. Is it very hard to replace?

east tx skier
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Not in the tank on a 91. I think my dealer told me once that they have a special gas can rigged up to test fuel pumps. The just pull the line and attach it to a gas can. Don't put too much weigh into that terrible answer though. Just giving you a bump 'til the smart kids get here.

cwright
09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
If I were in your shoes I would pull the coil wire off to ensure nothing sparked, then I would disconnect fuel line from carb, find a way of putting a hose on it or something, prepare a recepticle to catch gas, then crank the engine. The fuel pump is a mechanical device, with a cam follower pushing a lever which moves a rubber diaphram back and forth. If you have a problem there, nothing will come out when you crank engine. If you squirt gas with every crank, then your fuel pump is fine and you must have a plugged filter at the carb.

There are probably more sophisticated ways of doing this, including measuring the output of the pump with a pressure guage, but you can do this simple test in minutes in your garage and either identify or eliminate the fuel pump as an issue

Good luck, but remember to disconnect coil wire.

mepatterson74
09-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the info, a friend from work told me to do the exact same thing. He's going to come over and help me find the problem. I hope i fix this soon. I want to go out and ride more before the cold windy weather starts.

FlatBoard
09-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Do you have a safety switch on your '91? My 2004 has an operator safety switch such as one you see on a PWC and it has mal-fucntion at times. I have had to put a paper wedge in there to secure the kill button. I don't know when they started putting those operator safety switches on, but the first time my motor died for no reason, that's what it was.

mepatterson74
09-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok, i checked the carb, and no fuel was getting to the carb. So i thought it was the fuel pump. So i took off the fuel pump and it's working good, no problems with that. So it's not getting gas somewhere between the gas tank and the fuel/water seperator. Does anyone know what's between there that could be stopping the gas from coming through?

TMCNo1
09-04-2006, 02:32 PM
There is a anti siphon check valve on the gas line fitting on top of the tank that will sometimes get a piece of trash lodged at it that will prevent the valve from opening. This check valve keeps gas from draining from the line back into the gas tank. Also check the filter at the gas line inlet on the carb, it is the brass fitting in the carb that the gas line screws into. It may be clogged with debris.

ski_king
09-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I had a simular problem once and it turned out to be the fuel pump after all.
If I remember right the pump was able to pickup out of a can but didnt have enough to pull the gas thru the anti-siphon valve.

I first replaced the anti-siphon valve thinking that was the problem, then realized it was the pump.

The purpose of the anti-siphon valve on the end of the line inside the tank is to prevent the contents of the tank to being siphoned into the bilge should the gas line break.

Of course this all happened to me 10 years ago and I can be wrong.....

TMCNo1
09-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I had a simular problem once and it turned out to be the fuel pump after all.
If I remember right the pump was able to pickup out of a can but didnt have enough to pull the gas thru the anti-siphon valve.

I first replaced the anti-siphon valve thinking that was the problem, then realized it was the pump.

The purpose of the anti-siphon valve on the end of the line inside the tank is to prevent the contents of the tank to being siphoned into the bilge should the gas line break.

Of course this all happened to me 10 years ago and I can be wrong.....

You are right too, Cotton Welsham @ MC explained only part of it to me, when a few years back I had some problems, only to find out it wasn't a fuel problen, but a kill switch.

rem_pss308
09-05-2006, 04:32 AM
I too had a fuel problem last year.
My fuel pump when removed worked. ( pumped )
But it would not pump the right pressure. I cant remember the LBS it supposed to pump, I think it is about 12-15 lbs. The guys at skidim.com could tell you.

Ok, i checked the carb, and no fuel was getting to the carb. So i thought it was the fuel pump. So i took off the fuel pump and it's working good, no problems with that. So it's not getting gas somewhere between the gas tank and the fuel/water seperator. Does anyone know what's between there that could be stopping the gas from coming through?