PDA

View Full Version : Adding another battery

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 04:06 PM
I've got a rediculous stereo system i put in my 88 PS190. I upgraded to a higher output alternator last year to help keep up with the large load the amps put on the electrical system. I'm thinking about adding a battery, ...if i run the stereo for long at all with the engine off, worried about having the juice to start back up. I think i need to hook up the batteries in parallel to keep the voltage the same?:confused: Anyone out there done this?

NeilM
08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
yup.

look here http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3557&highlight=dual+battery

Monte
08-31-2006, 04:14 PM
There is a splitter that you can buy that charges both batteries, but doesn't allow the stereo battery to kill the main. I have no idea what it is called, mine already had the device on it when I bought it.. maybe a stereo shop or some of the stereo sys. gurus on here know what it is called...

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked for the Stinger SR200 battery isolation relay, found it for about $90 locally. Found it on ebay for $34 + $14 shipping. Not sure where to look for the Borg Warner R3098. I'm new to TT ....its "da Bomb!!" thanks

rspiecha
08-31-2006, 05:31 PM
If you want something simple, get the Perko battery switch and add second battery. I run on one battery, then the next day I switch to the other to keep charged. If you run one down, switch to the other to start. $263 complete install at MC dealer.

Rob

kalanic
08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
I followed Diesel's thread & used a SR200 Isolation relay when I added my Optima. I had to do this because I added a 1000watt Precision Power amp to my stock stereo. I have had no troubles at all & not to hard of an install. I dont have to worry about always checking a switch, it's all automatic.

crozhawk
09-01-2006, 12:37 AM
I ordered the SR200 from ebay. Looks like a very simple and convenient fix. I'm certain I can put it in myself and it will be nice not to have to check any switch positions.

Chief
09-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Get a PERKO switch and go to NAPA and get 2 gauge wire and lugs and make cables accordingly and get new battery box and mount and your done. With the PERKO you can run 1 or 2 batteries you decide. You’re done in an hour "forget about it".

Goalie_ken
09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I went with this battery isolater/ combiner: http://www.hellroaring.com/marine.htm

Works great, never have to remember to flick a switch and using the remote I can tell if both batteries are charging. I set it up so I can have a back up battery always avilibale to start my boat if the main goes dead.