PDA

View Full Version : open bow tragedy

cwright
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Hate to post with out too many facts, but our local news broadcast (Portland Oregon) is reporting that a woman fell out of an open bow boat when the driver turned abruptly to retreive a fallen skier. Unfortunately the stern swept over her and the prop severed one of her legs. They got her taken to a hospital, and a dive team was looking for her leg in the bottom of the river. She apparently has survived, not sure if they found her leg or not. The story dropped from the media as fast as it started, and they never clarified how whe was seated. I suspect whe was on the front gunnel with legs over the edge.

They didn't mention boat type or brand and didn't have any pictures. I doubt it was an MC owner. But still, a reminder to the open bow readers, especially those with kids, bad things can happen fast. Hope we all have a safe Labor Day Weekend.

east tx skier
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
That's awful. It's not the first time I've heard of that happening.

Jwhitsett1129
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
What a terrible tragedy. It is frightening how quickly bad things like this can happen...especially when it is something you have done a hundred times before. Just another reason not to throttle up and go hard over when a skiier drops...

kdr
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I've been on a boat when a child fell over the side while the boat was moving. It was a very scary experience. The child was old enough to know not to lean over the railing and our attention was on his younger brother. He leaned down to put his hand in the water and lost his balance and fell out. Luckily we were no going fast and he did not go under the boat. It happened so fast. I will not let young kids in the bow with out a parent with them because of this.

RickDV
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
The driver must feel awful. An instant moment of distraction or inattentiveness can cause someone to lose a leg. What a great responsibility we have as drivers. Stay alert!

Archimedes
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Minor thread jack, but in my 4 weeks of return to boating one thing that I'm amazed to discover is how few people know the proper way to return to a downed skiier. Nothing drives me nuts more than watching people make a big, fast sweeping turn to return to their skiier, throwing huge rollers in every direction. And they often turn to the wrong side of the boat as well. And these aren't I/O driving noobs, these are what appear to be experienced skiiers with nice boats. If you're on a small reservoir, that kills the water really quick, not to mention creating a hazard if other boats are in the area.

I think there should be a big sign posted at every lake that describes the process of picking up a skiier. Unless your skiier is in danger, you throttle down to idle, turn at idle and power directly back to the skiier on the same line, keeping the skiier on the driver's side. How freaking hard is that for people to remember?

OK, I'm through.

Monte
08-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Man that's bad.. That is all I can say.

ski_king
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Simular thing happened to neighbor at camp. 17 year old boy fell out of bow and got ran over. He was lucky, and had about 6 severe deep cuts on his thigh.
You can never be too careful.

chudson
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
[I think there should be a big sign posted at every lake that describes the process of picking up a skiier. Unless your skiier is in danger, you throttle down to idle, turn at idle and power directly back to the skiier on the same line, keeping the skiier on the driver's side. How freaking hard is that for people to remember?]

Good Point! And unfortunately accidents like this are one of the only times we say that other than the posts complaining about other inconciderate drivers doing that very same thing!

pilot02
08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Not a boat story but a story just the same. This happened yesterday at the church we meet at for boy scouts before the meeting.

For those of you who were at the scout meeting last night, or were aware of the terrible accident in front of the church yesterday afternoon, wanted to pass along that one of the girls involved in the accident, Cari Norris, is a member of our church (Hampton United Methodist) . Here's the latest from this morning on how she is doing:
We have just heard from Becky with another update and boy-oh-boy what a miracle! Cari was struck not once, but twice by lightning and the other girl was struck three times and was actually not breathing for 10 minutes before they revived her. I got caught in the traffic on the way home yesterday by the accident but had no idea that it was Becky’s daughter and had actually eaten lunch with Becky and Linda yesterday as we joked about “kids and their antics.” This is definitely God’s work and we are so glad that Cari is going to be okay.

And from our pastor: I spent some time with Becky and Cari in the hospital this morning. Cari seems to be ok. This is just one of the most incredible stories I have ever heard - and only Cari can tell it! It is nothing less than a miracle. The plan is for Cari to go home later today. Needless to say, it was a tough night last night for the family. Keep them all in your prayers. Could you pass this around?

I pass this along simply to ask that you pray for these young ladies and their families.

Thank you, Kay

88 PS190
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm amazed by how much differently some boats drive. My neighbor has a 96 Ski Nautique, and it is tough to turn if you drop to idle then try to turn it around. Our MC will turn almost directly into the wakes if you pull back smoothly on the trottle and turn around as the boat settles.

Archimedes
08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm amazed by how much differently some boats drive. My neighbor has a 96 Ski Nautique, and it is tough to turn if you drop to idle then try to turn it around. Our MC will turn almost directly into the wakes if you pull back smoothly on the trottle and turn around as the boat settles.

Yeah, I've noticed that my X-1 definately turns slower than my old ProStar did, but I still do the idle turn unless I'm concerned about the safety of my skiier.

shepherd
08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Another sad, freak accident. Need to keep an eye on those passengers up front!

Oh, and it's also sad that God saw fit to strike down those two girls with lightning. :cool:

rick s.
08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Another sad, freak accident. Need to keep an eye on those passengers up front!

Oh, and it's also sad that God saw fit to strike down those two girls with lightning. :cool:

I thought the same thing. Gods' Work....?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-30-2006, 05:51 PM
this is another reason I dislike open bow boats. If the people arent there, they cant fall out.

Very sorry to hear about this:( my best wishes on recovery.