PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Tops

kpickett
11-19-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm in the market for a bimini for my new 94 ProStar. Being a Seattle boat, it didn't have one, but down here in CA it gets really hot.

Anyone have a favorite place to get a bimini?

Also, I'd love to see a few pictures of various bimini setups - hull mounted vs. windshield mounted (or just good pictures of ProStars with biminis).

Any thoughts on size and height. This boat will never have a tower.

Thanks,
Kyle

Ric
11-19-2004, 05:06 PM
I found the cheapest place was overtons when I bought one years back but if you'd like custom, the guys at johnson bimini are helpful

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 05:10 PM
I have to get my wife credit for requiring that the bimini be purchased from MC along with the boat (93 purchased in 03). The fit is superb and the thing doesn't move, even at skiing speeds. Worked a deal and got it at cost.

I've also heard good things about Johnson Biminis.

BriEOD
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.johnsonbimini.com/

This is the place to get it.

dmac
11-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Bimini Tops.......I thought it said Bikini Tops. :D

DanC
11-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Johnson Bimini is in Palo Alto (I noticed you are in Nor Cal). My last three Biminis were from Johnson, all excellent quality. They will custom build anything you want, but they are not cheap. They will not undercut their dealers, so if you have a relationship with a dealer (like Ski World in Pleasanton), they probably can get you a lower price than going direct.

Farmer Ted
11-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Not sure who the maker is but does have a sunbrella label on the bottom side.

I am curious if I can go to a windshield mount and use poles for the aft support.

T Scott
11-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Below is a photo of a 1992 (same as a 1994) Prostar 190 with a Bimini. It was a Sunbrella. Hope it helps.

Hoosier Bob
11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I have seen some very clean looking windshield mount Bimini's that look awesome. I have no idea who manufactures them. If anyone knows who makes a nice w/s mount please respond. :confused:

georgea0731
11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
I saw you were researching Bimini Set ups for older boats. There was an old discussion on the old MC forum too. Here are some photos of my old boat. I used velcro on the back support so I didn't put holes in the boat, but I'd go back and do it now. Darryl Kidd had a better good set up too.
good luck,

kpickett
11-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm a new MC owner, but is there an archive of the old Mastercraft board? Address? I'd like to look up the bimini discussion there, too.

I put a call in to Johnson bimini tops. I hope to hear back tomorrow.

captkidd
11-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks George. I bought my cover from www.coversearch.com and got it for about $279 including the two adjustable rear support poles, storage boot, plenty of hardware to mount it wherever, and shipping. I purchased the push pins separately and they fit very tight and make it a breeze to install/remove.

captkidd
11-22-2004, 10:41 AM
More pics from different angles.

east tx skier
11-22-2004, 12:01 PM
http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/scripts/discus.pl

georgea0731
11-22-2004, 01:14 PM
We've had 2 windshield mounted systems 98 & 04, both with support poles in the rear.
Support poles help get it up and out of the way when its in it's storage bag. IMO make it look sporty.
If you don't use support poles, it sits on the engine cover or you have to remove it a lot. If its on the engine cover you have to step over it or raise it a lot and that's a small pain.
MC late model boats use a spring loaded system on the inside of the windshield vs the top. I believe Overton's carries these systems too.
I always thought a deck mounted on the outside of the windshield which allows you to pivet it all forward on a close bow would be nice.
Someone with a red 197 or 209 had the top lay in front of their windshield. Also see Shasta 02 photo under showroom.

causewayskiier
11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I have a '92 Prostar 205 and recently purchased a bimini from Overtons. They sell Westland Bimini tops. Westland offers a Nylon slide track mount which allows you to mount your Bimini to the slide track along the bottom edge of the windshield. This keeps you from having to drill additional holes in your hull (for a hull mount). I know that many of the newer MCs mount the bimini to the top edge of the windshield, but many of the older boats don't have the "beefed up" windshield that the newer boats have. This mount worked well for my boat.

Diesel
11-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Try www.boatcoversdirect.com

I bought my bimini top from them last year and it has worked flawlessly. I upgraded to the Sunbrella and mine mounts to the windshield (95 PS205). The mounting kit even included the windshield mounts and it is a breeze to install. Just measure the distance between mounting points and call them up.

Hope it helps,

OD

Hoosier Bob
11-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I have a 93 PS190. That top will do perfectly. Do you have the 30" or the 36" height? :confused: Thanks George. I bought my cover from www.coversearch.com and got it for about $279 including the two adjustable rear support poles, storage boot, plenty of hardware to mount it wherever, and shipping. I purchased the push pins separately and they fit very tight and make it a breeze to install/remove.

Hoosier Bob
11-23-2004, 10:35 PM
I will be ordering mine today! Jockey red of course.Thanks George. I bought my cover from www.coversearch.com and got it for about $279 including the two adjustable rear support poles, storage boot, plenty of hardware to mount it wherever, and shipping. I purchased the push pins separately and they fit very tight and make it a breeze to install/remove.

captkidd
11-24-2004, 02:06 PM
I got the 36" height and I've been very pleased with it. Sure makes a big difference in the summer sun.

c640947
11-30-2004, 01:06 PM
What about tops that connect to the tower so they are mounted higher up (given that one has a tower - I know this started out for ProStars....)?

Andrew

sic0048
11-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I bought my top from GMI Top Design. They are a Canadian based company, but had very good prices and materials. Someone suggested to me to pay for the stainless steel hardware upgrade (just the hardware, not the poles too). This upgrade isn't listed on the web site, but I just contacted them directly and they were more than happy to accomidate my request. I believe it cost an additional $25 for the stainless steel hardware upgrade. The upgrade means that there is no plastic on my top. Everything is metal (and the nylon straps).

Here is their web site - http://www.gmitopdesign.com/f-english.html?

I bought a Sunbrella Bimini top, with stainless steel hardware, and paid for shipping, for less than Overtons was selling their basic top. If I remember correctly, I paid $250 total including shipping. I would highly recommend them.