PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

crozhawk
08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I have an 88 PS190, ....starts up without fail when it's cold. Once were out on the water, I have to crank it usually atleast twice to get it started again. It runs great after, nice idle, quick response, smooth. It has a Holley carb(OE) and i notice after I turn the engine off it drips a little fuel on one side of the primaries( not sure if it has anything to do with it). I built the engine myself and it had the same problem before the rebuild and i made no adjustments to the carburetor so i think it's probably the carb. I changed points to electronic ignition ...that was the most noticeable improvement i made but the starting problem remains. any idears??:huh:

chudson
08-30-2006, 10:56 AM
[I changed points to electronic ignition ...that was the most noticeable improvement i made but the starting problem remains.]

Can't help with your problem but I sure agree with the electronic points "uh point" but the dripping fuel sure ain't a good thing!!!

tph
08-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago. It's probably the float in the primary bowl.

crozhawk
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
anyone know where to get a book for the carb?

Hunterb
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
You can purchase a Holley Techbook at most auto parts stores. You can also use the article that I attached to this message. It's pretty good. When you say dripping fuel do you mean into the carb throat or outside of the carb through the throttle shaft? The reason I ask is that I believe if it is leaking out through the throttle shaft that it is not fixable. If it's leaking into the carb then you need to check your float level. I would also make sure that your accelerator pump is adjusted correctly. You can check to see if your hot start problems are due to a lack of fuel, or too much fuel, by giving the throttle a little pump prior to cranking. If it starts easier it's not getting enough fuel. If it's worse then it's already getting too much.

Good luck and post back when you determine the problem for sure.

Bruce

The article is below. It's not marine specific but that shouldn't matter in this case.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/index.php

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
it's sounding more and more like a float level problem, I looked around for a book without success yet ....thanks for the link Hunterb. the main question i have is why it would only be leaking gas down into one side(starboard)? I think its maybe flooding while the engine is off, if I open the butterflies wide open it seems to start quicker. Anyway, thinking about getting a rebuild kit and starting from scratch