PDA

View Full Version : Prostar upholstery

crozhawk
08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Aloha, I'm new to TT but I have an 88 PS190 that i bought last year. Over all the boat is in great shape, ...just rebuilt the engine myself due to a cracked block ....whole other %$#@ story. Now its running like a new boat and i'd like to replace the upholstery. The vinyl isn't terrible but its really all thats standing in the way of this boat looking and running like new. Has anyone out there done this ...really wondering about cost vs. benefit and who to go to for best results. I'm up near the DC area. Also ...If anyone has questions about a rebuild, i learned a ton rebuilding the engine ...upgraded the intake and switched to electronic ignition among others ...runs like a scalded dog!! :D

east tx skier
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Welcome. The OEM upholstery color matched isn't available any more. Not sure if a dealer could still get the plain white for you. There's more information here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103135&postcount=4), including contact information of person who can cut skins using OEM vinyl. If you're redoing the entire interior, a local shop can do great things. But if you're only diong a few pieces, the vinyl won't feel the same. Good luck.

shepherd
08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Funny, I just took my boat (1990 PS 190) in today for an estimate to replace the upholstery and carpet. $2500 + tax + extra$ for any rotten wood that might need replacing. Includes material and labor.

I'm faced with the same dilemma as you. Not sure if it's worth it, and I'm not sure if I can trust this guy to do a good job. Is $2500 price reasonable?

You guys who have done it, what have you paid?

TMCNo1
08-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Aloha, I'm new to TT but I have an 88 PS190 that i bought last year. Over all the boat is in great shape, ...just rebuilt the engine myself due to a cracked block ....whole other %$#@ story. Now its running like a new boat and i'd like to replace the upholstery. The vinyl isn't terrible but its really all thats standing in the way of this boat looking and running like new. Has anyone out there done this ...really wondering about cost vs. benefit and who to go to for best results. I'm up near the DC area. Also ...If anyone has questions about a rebuild, i learned a ton rebuilding the engine ...upgraded the intake and switched to electronic ignition among others ...runs like a scalded dog!! :D

PM TT member atlfooter, he has the contact info for a guy in Maryville, TN who does MC boat upholstery, that once worked for MC. He may be able to make the skins for you to then have installed locally.

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, this TT site is awesome, you guys are the poop! $2500 is a little steep but my carpet is good too, maybe i can find it for a little less. I'll give the guy in Maryville a call too and post the results.

east tx skier
08-31-2006, 10:11 AM
PM TT member atlfooter, he has the contact info for a guy in Maryville, TN who does MC boat upholstery, that once worked for MC. He may be able to make the skins for you to then have installed locally.

The contact info for that guy is linked above.

$2,500, assuming they replace the carpet, might not be as bad as it sounds if vinyl is included. So you have wooden seat bases?

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 10:18 AM
thanks east tx, not sure but i assume they are wood, might be a good idea to change to teflon or some sort of plastic. I found some stuff once that was kinda like white plastic cutting board material ...comes in 4'x8' sheets.

shepherd
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, according to Tom Wortham on an earlier thread in this forum:

"Carpet, New Rear View mirror, old skins off and new skins on cost me $760. So out the door everying done turn key.... $1,500."

Looks like he got a great deal. I guess I was hoping for something similar in the ballpark. I'm going to try to get 1 or 2 other estimates.

I don't have wood seat bases, but I think there is some behind the side panels(?)

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
If you just get the skins, should be pretty easy to install right, ...staple gun and some basic hand tools? never really messed with any upholstery work before.

shepherd
08-31-2006, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't trust myself to get everything lined up and installed right (plus, personally, I don't have the time or the patience to do a good job).

Pwillcuts said he paid $3500 for a complete refurbish job (see http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9040&page=4) , so maybe $2500 isn't so bad after all... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
08-31-2006, 10:50 AM
If you just get the skins, should be pretty easy to install right, ...staple gun and some basic hand tools? never really messed with any upholstery work before.

If you could still get them from MC, I agree. But some pieces are harder than others. I'll tackle a seat bottom or back, but would leave some of the more complicated pieces to a pro.

Now if the show is going to cut them, they're going to need the skins. Removal is a pain because there are a lot of staples to remove. At that point, if they're removing and sewing, it might be worth just letting them have at the rest of the job.

I think I recall hearing $700-$800 for a carpet job on a 190. Replacement skins from MC might have been anywhere from $800--$1200 depending on the deal. Maybe more.

Monte
08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Might be able to help you out a little... My across the street neighbor is an upholsterer, only deals w/ boats and vw's. Post some pics and I will see if he can give you an estimate. Only thing... DC is @ 6 hrs. He's gonna do mine over the winter... work is good... gave me quote on an american skier 19ft... skins only... $400... Red/ white... I didn't buy the boat though.. turned out to be a pisa....

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
Alright, I'll get some pics, that would help a lot. Not worried about a drive for quality work and a fair deal. Raining right now but I'll break out the camera as soon as it breaks. maybe he could install the MC skins if I can get a hold of em'. ...by the way, how do you attach pictures to your profile?

shepherd
08-31-2006, 01:01 PM
BTW, where in the DC area are you Croz? I grew up there and learned to ski on the Patuxent River in MD.

crozhawk
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Manassas, I ski/wakeboard in the Potomac most often ...across the river from Leesylvania state park. I also have a friend that lets me store the boat on a lift at his dock down at Lake Anna. He's in a newly developed area on the private side of the lake so the water is usually "smooth like buttah" during the week.

DuaneS
08-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Over the winter I replaced the seat skins in my 98 200 maristar. I attempted to put the skins on but quickly learned that my air stapler was the wrong size and I couldn't get the skins as tight as they should be. I took all the old skins off and took the new skins to a local marine upholster. He charge me $200 to put them on. Money well spend. They look great.

scott88prostar
09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey Croz ....what color is your upholstery... I have a doghouse cover for a 88 prostar small block.

Archimedes
09-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Agree. My mom did upholstery work and I'd help her from time to time. Not complicated, just takes patience and strong hands.

Archimedes
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Over the winter I replaced the seat skins in my 98 200 maristar. I attempted to put the skins on but quickly learned that my air stapler was the wrong size and I couldn't get the skins as tight as they should be. I took all the old skins off and took the new skins to a local marine upholster. He charge me $200 to put them on. Money well spend. They look great.

For that little, I'd get a pro as well. Did he use upholstery hooks? That's the key to getting furniture upholstery tight; I wonder if that works for vinyl as well or if they just rip through.

jjk94
09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I have Grey w/black stripes on an 85...Same Box??
Thanks

east tx skier
09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
For that little, I'd get a pro as well. Did he use upholstery hooks? That's the key to getting furniture upholstery tight; I wonder if that works for vinyl as well or if they just rip through.

I had a install my jump seat skins and they used hooks. They have held very strong.

tdaines@hotmail.com
10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
When I bought my boat this summer, the owner gave me the receipt for the new upholstry he had installed last Spring. $1600 for skins, padding, replacing rotten wood, and new carpet. This was all done by a local interior shop in Las Vegas, not a marine specific shop. You may give a local interior shop a try - might save a few bucks.

mrG
10-03-2006, 09:47 AM
The privious owner of my boat had the upholstery done a couple of years earlier but some areas already show signs of stress in the form of seam failure. After a visit to my local upholsterer I learned that there good and not so good grades of Vinyl and to watch out for quotes that may include the use of automotive grade interior Vinyl which is much less expensive (and less durable) than marine grade Vinyl.

I ended up buying a hooked needle and upholstery thread and was able to do a fairly good job of repairing the split seams. It's not the best way but considering that I'll be looking at reupholstering in a few years spending $2.50 instead of $450 for a professioinal job was a good choice for me.

dchatagnon
10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi guys,

My winter project this year will be to replace the carpet of my 93 pS190. Does anyone know where I can order some marine carpet? The best will be to find the OEM one (don't know the exact name of the color). Is there a website with international shipping ?

rhsprostar
11-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Any updates??
I need new skins!

TMCNo1
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi guys,

My winter project this year will be to replace the carpet of my 93 pS190. Does anyone know where I can order some marine carpet? The best will be to find the OEM one (don't know the exact name of the color). Is there a website with international shipping ?

Have you checked Overton's, they carry it, but not sure about intl. shipping.

TMCNo1
11-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Any updates??
I need new skins!
Check with monte72 and his following thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12081

wats218
12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm currently looking to reupholster the front seats of my Prostar 190. This includes the drivers seat, observers seat, and the little corner one. I got two quotes so far, the cheapest being $675. Its a local upholster and he uses marine grade vinyl and will match everything exactly. Does this seam like an appropriate price?

BrianM
12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm currently looking to reupholster the front seats of my Prostar 190. This includes the drivers seat, observers seat, and the little corner one. I got two quotes so far, the cheapest being $675. Its a local upholster and he uses marine grade vinyl and will match everything exactly. Does this seam like an appropriate price?

If that is seat cushions and backs that is probably an ok price. Not a great price but ok.

wats218
12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah...its seat cushions and backs. It looks like he does a really good job. I think I'm going to try to get a couple other quotes and see how they compare. Thanks.

drbesvold1
12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
i just had all my upolystery redone in my 88 p/s and it cost me $1500 and it looks really sweet ill take pics of it tommrow and post it

thijs
12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Looking forward to it.

eqa@shaw
04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Where would a guy look for the Plastic cutting board material in a 4x8 sheet, I'm redoing a 89 Prostar and would like to upgrade some of the treated plywood parts.

chrisbank
04-21-2008, 12:45 AM
drbesvold1 -
Where did you have your interior done? I also live in the midwest...
Did you have the carpet done at the same time?