PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X-2 Board Rack Needs Repair

ematthew
08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
I have a 2003 X-2 with the ratcheting type board racks made only that model year, and they are the best board racks MC has ever made in my opinion. The other day, the top part of one arm that usually ratchets down over the board edge to secure it would not stay down. When I raised it to see what was going on, the piece went up and over and into the lake, just leaving the fixed lower padded part and 2 small rods sticking out. Mike at mymc tells me Mastercraft no longer makes or supplies parts to replace/repair these racks. If anyone could help me out with this I would appreciate it. It is hard to believe there would not be repair or replacement parts made available by Mastercraft for a 3 year old boat.

erkoehler
08-30-2006, 12:36 AM
If Mike says they aren't available, then they probably aren't available......he is one of the best dealers around (:D not quite as good as Chicago MasterCraft, but close:D).

I'd believe what he said....try ebay for used parts.

Ric
08-30-2006, 12:53 AM
I have made some parts for the slalom racks
what do you need? post us a pic of the other one that is not at the bottom of the lake

jahlf
08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I also lost mine for a different (very dumb) reason. I thus sawed off those 2 metal rods w/ a hacksaw and the rack works just fine with only one of the two racks actually holding the board down.

I found out from the Mastercraft website that this fall/winter they will be relasing a new version of a rack that will be cheaper and work on the 2003 X2 (my boat too). They stopped making them due to their extreme cost and problems.

ematthew
08-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. My local dealer did have some extra parts in inventory so I am all set. I still think MC could do a better job of supporting parts in its recently manufactured boats.

DanC
08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
My dealer confirms that no replacement parts are available. You can only buy a complete set (four clamps) for $1,800. No, I did not put the decimal in the wrong spot.

I checked my racks and it looks like the same thing might be happening to mine. The screws at the end of the rods are stripping out. Three of the eight are loose and stripped. I think I also might be shooting a clamp into the water soon.

I remember a MC dealer on the old board ranting about how wonderful, how superior and how innovative MCs racks were. They are so great, they changed the design within three years to a new design that is not backwards compatible.

I will be treating my racks with more respect and tender loving care in the future.

PapaJoe
08-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Sometimes you see them on Ebay... Also, there is a small company that makes the racks, that fit the three holes in the Zero Flex Flier Tower... There were made to replace the ratchet racks ... I will look to see if I can find the web site....?????

JOE

PapaJoe
08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Sometimes you see them on Ebay... Also, there is a small company that makes the racks, that fit the three holes in the Zero Flex Flier Tower... There were made to replace the ratchet racks ... I will look to see if I can find the web site....?????

JOE

Look here:

http://stores.ebay.com/S-W-PERFORMANCE-MARINE

They sell a replace rack that fits in the MC tower... Alittle expensive....
But, maybe they can cut you a break....

JOE

DanC
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Nice find PapaJoe. $1,800 vs $250. I may have to buy a set just for insurance.

SteveO
09-03-2006, 09:23 AM
That is about 1550 reasons that bungee cords may not be all bad! Is interesting that they only had that clamp style 1 year?

the legend
09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I Have Several Sets Of The '03 Board Racks In Stock @ Chicago Mastercraft

DanC
09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
I Have Several Sets Of The '03 Board Racks In Stock @ Chicago Mastercraft

So does my local dealer. That is not the issue.
The issue is do you sell replacement parts?
And since you don't, the only alternative that MC offers is a SET (can't buy just one) for $1,800 (use your best Doctor Evil voice here).:mad: