PDA

View Full Version : more vibration

dahouse
08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I had my prop rebuilt after a small thump. I still have a vibration but it is only on acceleration. I can run at about 24 mph just fine, but if I increase throttle, it vibrates. I'm taking it in, anything I should know so I don't get fleeced at the shop?

TMCNo1
08-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Be sure the shop that rebuilt the prop balanced it after it was rebuilt. If that doesn't stop the vibration ask the dealer to try new prop to see if it still does it. You could always have a bent shaft.

This link may help....http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10976

TMCNo1
08-29-2006, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]Be sure the shop that rebuilt the prop balanced it after it was rebuilt. If that doesn't stop the vibration ask the dealer to try new prop to see if it still does it. You could always have a bent shaft.

This link may help.......[url]http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10976[url]

Time for the site to shut down, I learned how to post a link to another thread/post! Where is Gene?

gummerS4
08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
I am checking to see if the rebuilt I got was balanced correctly and I will probably try a new prop if they say it was balanced. I'm new to the game, can someone point me in the right direction on a "How to" for swapping props, and what tools I will need?? Thanks in advance!! :D

Archimedes
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I am checking to see if the rebuilt I got was balanced correctly and I will probably try a new prop if they say it was balanced. I'm new to the game, can someone point me in the right direction on a "How to" for swapping props, and what tools I will need?? Thanks in advance!! :D

Wrench, rubber mallet, new prop bolt and pin, I think. I think theres a prop pull tool, but I've only changed props on my old I/O's, which didn't require it.

cwright
08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Just pulled mine last night. remove cotter pin and throw the old one away. Remove nut, install three fingered bearing puller or a prop puller if you have one, and apply pressure to load the prop. If it doesn't begin moving with reasonalbe torque, rap it with a soft hammer. My 88PS190 has a non-splined tapered shaft so once the prop budges it flies off. Whole thing took five minutes with a good bearing puller.

Check shaft fit for burrs or rust pits, sides of the key for galling and stone it or file to remove gall marks, clean shaft extension, and buy a new correctly sized SS cotter pin. Install new prop and torque propeller nut to 50 ft/lb (at least according to the 88 manual) using a block of wood to keep the works from turning while you torque.

If the prop your putting on is brand new to the shaft, I would blue the bore (prussian bluing) and shoot for 75% contact, sanding off high spots until the bluing shows good.

It would also pay to mount a dial indicator to something fixed and take a T.I.R. reading of the shaft extension while the prop is off to ensure the shaft isn't bent. I'm not sure what the specs are for shaft runout, does anyone know?

You do all of that and you should be vibration free.

Kell
08-29-2006, 08:02 PM
To add to what CWright has indicated and from past experience, I would not remove the nut completely from the shaft. That way if the prop flies off the nut will catch it preventing further damage to the prop. Just my :twocents:

André
08-29-2006, 08:36 PM
To add to what CWright has indicated and from past experience, I would not remove the nut completely from the shaft. That way if the prop flies off the nut will catch it preventing further damage to the prop. Just my :twocents:
Exactly what he said!!!^^^^

PendO
08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Prop
Shaft
Strut

Once you ding a prop I'd say get a new CNC'd prop, fix the old one and keep it as a spare, if you have vibration with a new prop then get the shaft alignment checked at the dealer, and they can check the strut as well ... visibly I assume the strut looks fine?

TMCNo1
08-29-2006, 09:58 PM
If the prop won't come off even with a prop puller, spray the shaft forward of the prop and the prop hub with WD-40 and heat with a hair dryer or low heat on a heat gun on the hub, rotating the prop and heating the area between each blade. I helped a friend pull one the other day that he had been trying to get off for 3 days. 4 minutes of heat and it was off. I had been on the boat for 14 years.