PDA

View Full Version : Caution, a little gross!

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
so im on my houseboat this weekend and i noticed a small unlabeled button on the bathroom vanity cabnit. my girlfrined was in there at the time doing her make up and i aslked her to push to see what it does. well i heard a what sounded like a water pump fire up. i though to myself oh no!.. i asked her to push it again while i went outside to look. sure enough my septic pumped into to the river.

of course i yelled to stop and said that is soooo gross!
my question is, why does this boat have this feature? was this legal and acceptable l to do in the eighties? i dont get it....

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Not Positive, but I believe it was legal to dump, and that is the reason house boats are banned on a lot of lakes.

I wouldn't worry about it. Local gov't do it and pay the fine, which is usually less than the cost of updating their systems.

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
i worry about it since i ski and swim in the delta, and if my houseboat has that feature others do too. that last thing i need is some irresponsible jackaerss, dumping poo poo near me..

PendO
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
i worry about it since i ski and swim in the delta, and if my houseboat has that feature others do too. that last thing i need is some irresponsible jackaerss, dumping poo poo near me..

get a water sample an test it ... only true way to tell how much feces you are skiing in:)

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I was being smart with the don't worry about it comment.

Baby Ruth anyone?

bigmac
08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Not Positive, but I believe it was legal to dump, and that is the reason house boats are banned on a lot of lakes.

I wouldn't worry about it. Local gov't do it and pay the fine, which is usually less than the cost of updating their systems.

Marine toilets in Minnesota have to have a USCG-approved holding tank. It's illegal to operate a boat with a marine toilet that discharges overboard - no grandfathering in, either.

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I think I'll pass and keep on assuming that my lake water is brown because of all the silt.

Rod, you're just trying to scare people away from your ski spot aren't you. ;)

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Marine toilets in Minnesota have to have a USCG-approved holding tank. It's illegal to operate a boat with a marine toilet that discharges overboard - no grandfathering in, either.

i have a holding tank, i pump it out the way your supposed too at the marina.

PendO
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
so im on my houseboat this weekend and i noticed a small unlabeled button on the bathroom vanity cabnit. my girlfrined was in there ....

Now Rod, if your Fiance' knew that she was still being called your girlfriend you might be in for a world of hurt:)

Tom023
08-28-2006, 04:57 PM

You can dump out at sea, so many boats have a y-valve to go overboard or into a tank. While inside the mileage limit, there is a place for a padlock on the valve so "accidents" don't happen. Better have that pad lock in place if inspected.

dog paw
08-28-2006, 05:00 PM
We had a really old RV in the shop years ago that had some sort of pump setup that would pump the waste into the exhaust manifold while it was running. I bet that sucker was a pleasure to be behind going up a long grade.... I know if you got caught dumping in the Chesapeake bay watershead areas there would be hell to pay. Probably could buy a new boat with the fines.

Archimedes
08-28-2006, 05:02 PM

You ski in the Delta and you're worried about a little poo?! :D

You're skiing in it! I recall floating in the water there years ago in a pretty tight slough waiting for my wife to pull up slack in the rope without realizing I was almost directly under a drain pipe of some sort that just happened to be dripping a brown substance that was somewhere between a solid and a liquid.

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 05:12 PM
actually i never ski there, but i do pull others and swim..

Dooker
08-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I used to toob down the Delta behind Rod's old boat. How you fellas think I got my nickname!

bigmac
08-28-2006, 05:23 PM

I recall looking at the USCG specs, and the one Minnesota applies requires no selectable Y-discharge of any kind.

Can't have poo here in the :dance: Land of Sky Blue Waters...:dance:

Hamm's....

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Hellllooooo Doooooker

P-Rod
08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Archimedes]You ski in the Delta and you're worried about a little poo?! :D

You're skiing in it!

Rod,

Archimedes is right, you are skiing and swimming in it. You wouldn't believe how many cities that are located adjacent to the Sacramento River Delta system actually dump their effluence from their treatment plants right into the river. You are extra special as you are downstream of Redding/Red Bluff which is one of the "dumpers" into the Sacramento River. :(

M-Funf
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Rod,
That is just gross!

Plug that sucker off, man...

I know that dumping sewage is not allowed inside "X" miles from shore. Beyond "X" miles ships can dump. (I haven't found X yet)

Edit: "X" = Three miles...but they're trying to change that to 12 miles.

Ric
08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
You ski in the Delta and you're worried about a little poo?! :D

You're skiing in it! I recall floating in the water there years ago in a pretty tight slough waiting for my wife to pull up slack in the rope without realizing I was almost directly under a drain pipe of some sort that just happened to be dripping a brown substance that was somewhere between a solid and a liquid. archemedes that is the second story of your wife pulling you into hazardous ski areas.................... Do we see a pattern here with you and the alligator gar and now the drainage pipe incident?8p

Hoff1
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
At one time it was legal to dump in Kentucky. But, the laws changed years ago and I heard that if any houseboat is pulled out of the water, it must have the dumping pipes welded back up before being put back into the water. Just hearsay, but makes sense. I've also been told to never swim around marinas, because it's all poo.

ski_king
08-29-2006, 08:17 AM
I have been doing my best to resist typing this...... but.......

Whats the difference between Rod dumping his tank in the water and launching his non MC boat?

Either way he just put crap in the water.......

Just kidding Rod..............