PDA

View Full Version : Transom tie downs

Brn85ss
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Maybe someone can help me with this?Why did mastercraft put the transom lifting bolts right above the swim platform on the older boats?This makes it impossable to use tie downs without wrapping the straps around the platform.Thats alot of stress on the brackets that I don't think they were designed to handle. Other boats that I've owned had a clear shot.I know most people with older MC just don't stap them down. I'm thinking about building a new platform,just to allow clearance for the tie downs.Any suggestions? :confused:

east tx skier
11-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Those are actually lifting eyes. That said, I feel your pain.

I use a long strap over the top of the boat (it passes just behind the motorbox and attaches to the two rings on the trailer. I use socks over the strap where it contacts the hull to prevent it from rubbing. The boat does not move on the trailer with this setup and you won't have to mod your platform. You can see it in this picture (it's the red strap).

paulphillipson
11-18-2004, 02:27 PM
If your platform is slotted like Doug's, you can run the straps through the slots.

east tx skier
11-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Of course, if you hit a pretty good bump, that could put some undue stress on your platform, brackets, hull, or all of the above.

Mag_Red
11-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Could you notch out the platform near the stern???

Lance
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
What are you tying the boat down to? I have an 87Prostar and use the approach described by eastTxSkier using the tie down rings on the side of the trailer (well actually I don't trailer my boat anymore so don't use anything). There isn't anything on my trailer that I could even use to tie down between the lift rings and the trailer.

I was kind of assuming everyone used the strap over the back. Is that not the case?

Lance

Thrall
11-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I tie mine down using the 2 transom eyes. 96 PS 190. The hooks fit thru between the hull and platform fine, but I pull the hooks up from underneath, so the ratchet is down close to the trlr frame, away from the fiberglass. The straps rest on the transom, but when tight they don't move around at all, no scuffs on the 'glass.

east tx skier
11-18-2004, 05:19 PM
My trailer doesn't have anything on the back to which I could attach a tie-down.

ski_king
11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
When I do tow, I use the strap like Doug does.

It seem to me that most people in my area don't bother with a transom tie down, just the bow.

I have seen a site like this a time or two, I sure don't want it happening to me.

AirJunky
11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
My trailer doesn't have anything on the back to which I could attach a tie-down.

I have this same trailer. There are holes underneath the rail just outside of the brake light, towards the outside corner. The angle of the strap is such that they angle out & don't put that much stress on the swimstep brackets. Wish I could say none, but there is some stress. Since it's sheer stress, I don't think it amounts to much though. I don't strap them down that tight, just snug.

JimN
11-18-2004, 06:37 PM
One thing to reconsider- you aren't trying to tie the boat down. You're trying to keep the trailer in contact, which is a lot lighter than the boat. If the straps were attached to something that was anchored down, it would be dealing with the weight of the boat. In other words, if you lift the boat by the hull while it's strapped to the trailer, the eyes are dealing with the weight of the trailer, not the boat. That said, if you have the slotted platform and thread the strap through the first slat, it's pulling the slat against the hull in a reinforced area.

Sometimes, you can send the strap between the platform and hull, but only if there's a gap.

I have seen Prostars that went "over the river and through the woods" with no damage to the boat or platform, just the trailer. Once the fender(s) and paint were fixed, they were good as new. Traumatized, but fine otherwise.

dmac
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Fortunately for me it is not a problem as the transom eyes are outside of the platform.

Brn85ss
11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the ideas!My trailer is a V/M ,I have only seen these on the west coast. It has rings for the tie downs welded to the trailer. The swim platform has already broken once from the tie downs. I think the rachet style straps might work because their isn't any buckles.I was thinking on making a new platform anyway!

tph
11-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the ideas!My trailer is a V/M ,I have only seen these on the west coast. It has rings for the tie downs welded to the trailer. The swim platform has already broken once from the tie downs. I think the rachet style straps might work because their isn't any buckles.I was thinking on making a new platform anyway!

I have an '83 on a V/M trailer. I've been tying down to the bottom of the swim platform brackets as close to the transom as possible. Both hooks on the tie down are rubber coated and I don't tighten them too much...just snug. It seems to work.

Are you on the west coast? Do you attend the reunion?

Brn85ss
11-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes I'm on the west side,and no I didn't attend.Some day I just might go,depends on the timing.Back to the trailer it just seems to me that if you put tie down eyes on the boat and the trailer you should be able to use them. I like your idea because my brackets are though bolted to the transom,should be plenty strong enough!thanks for the imput :twocents:

André
11-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Those are actually lifting eyes. That said, I feel your pain.

I use a long strap over the top of the boat (it passes just behind the motorbox and attaches to the two rings on the trailer. I use socks over the strap where it contacts the hull to prevent it from rubbing. The boat does not move on the trailer with this setup and you won't have to mod your platform. You can see it in this picture (it's the red strap).

Doug
Now i understand why the holes in your socks.
Sorry about all the bad jokes i have made about it! :D

TalleyHo
11-18-2004, 09:09 PM
I hate that my X2 is that way - the platform is the width of the boat, and the eyes above, so no transom ties for me. For local trips, it doesn't bother me so much, but for the long vacations, I get a little nervous. That's why I have methods up front -- boat buddy, the trailer strap, and a third safety strap. If all 3 break, then the way my luck is going, I'll be happy I wasn't on a sinking ship!

Leroy
11-18-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm feeling creative genius on this topic, the inventors are coming out......like Jim says all you need to do is hold the ~1500 pounds of trailer to the boat.

I'm amazed at the patents already in existence!

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US005282706&PageNum=1&&IDKey=661DC57717C9&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526p=1%2526u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526d=ptxt%2526S1 ='transom%252Btie%252Bdown'%2526OS=%2526RS=

BriEOD
11-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey Doug,

What do you figure the tinsle strength is on that strap you have in the photo? I have those same little straps and I use them to tie down my ATV's to the trailer. I'm not sure I would use them on my boat. The reason I bring it up is I'm just a little surprised. You are usually more conservative. I do the same exact thing but I use a 5k lb rated strap (it's 2-3 x's as thick). Just merely an observation.

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I probably ought to go thicker. I think it's rated at about 1,000 lbs. So far, it's made it all season without breaking and the boat does not (I repeat does not) move when you crank it down (and not too tight either). I've got to guess that gravity does a good deal of work keeping that bad boy on the trailer. That said, I've often thought I undercut a bit on the strength.

G-man
11-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Doug and fellow Team MC's What I feel you should worry about is the rocket a boat can become should you come to a quick stop and the boat continues forward. One of the setups I saw for this is chain with a turnbuckle to take slack out attached to the bow eye of the boat and runs back behind the bow eye to the trailer. I agree that rear or midship straps really help on curved roads with bumps a planned event but the unplaned event is worse. gm

Brn85ss
11-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Nice pic. East Tex wish my boat was that nice!We use a strap just like yours on our aluminum fishing boats works great! But our fishing boats are not high dollar ski boats.All my buddies bought Malibu's in 80's and they all came with tie downs.With MC'S attention to detail this just surprised me, don't get me wrong I'll take my MC over a Malibu any day. Your idea might be the easy fix for me!

phecksel
11-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Why would you ever need to tie down the boat? Me thinks you're worrying too much. and 1000 k tensile is a lot, remember that's proof load, test strength is much bigger, especially since there are two of them. You're already attached to a suspension. Heck, with my old supra, I seldom even tied down the bow eye.

Phil

Thrall
11-19-2004, 01:29 PM

I wrap the strap around the trlr frame just inside of the tailight and hook it on a gusset just behind the frame tube.

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Good point, George. I worked for a trial court when I was in law school. They had a case where a guy jack knifed his boat trailer and killed a teenage girl on her way to church with a "boat missle." Extremely sad. Probably didn't help that the guy had tossed back a couple of beers for the road either.

Phecksel, earlier this year, I had a near collision with an idiot driver that pulled out in front of me as she crossed the highway. But for some interesting steering, braking, luck, and some help from the Man Upstairs, I avoided catastrophe and the idiot avoided becoming the new hood ornament on my 6,200 pound (plus boat and trailer) grand wagoneer. There's just something about feeling your boat start to pass you transom-first (slight exageration) that makes you (me) want to invest in some extra securing devices and wonder why you (I) made those thousand-mile round-trip road trips with only the winch strap holding it all together.

DanC
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
I've posted this before. As Doug pointed out, ties downs are so this doesn't happen when somebody else makes a mistake (like running a red light in front of you).

I saw a boat missile once (trailer came loose). It totaled a parked mini van and took the door off a pickup. The trailer needed the bow stop and hitch coupler to be rebuilt, but the boat needed only about $300 of repair to the nose because it was firmly attached to the trailer.

dmac
11-19-2004, 02:17 PM
For the longest time the boat I towed was a '63 Cruisers on the original Gator trailer. We had a tie down strap that was a must simply because of the design of the trailer. When I bought the MC I was surprised that there were no tie downs and the dealer said that they really weren't necessary because of the weight, etc. Regardless, I stopped at West Marine which was right down the road from them and bought my tie downs. The photo in Dan's post merely affirms my belief.

Brn85ss
11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
The pic. is proof why I have brought up the subject.I survived two bad car wrecks.(one was a headon)On both I was in the wrong place at the wrong time while someone else screwed up.When you experience a few bad moments in a car it will change the way you look at towing your boat or driving your boat,but thats a different subject!

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 03:57 PM
In June, I almost rolled my new (to me) Expedition doing 70 on the interstate when some chucklehead decided to pull into my lane despite the fact I was right next to him. You could see the skid marks on the freeway for months thereafter. The nose of the Exped went approximately 45 degrees in both directions off my original heading. My wife let out a loud scream. The girls in the car about 50 feet behind me drove up next to me and gave me the thumbs up for not buying the farm. Fortunately, I didn't have the boat behind me or I'd be posting from a cloud.

When I got to my destination (Prince "Musicology" concert), I partied like it was 1999.

Ric
11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Nice pic. East Tex wish my boat was that nice!We use a strap just like yours on our aluminum fishing boats works great! But our fishing boats are not high dollar ski boats.All my buddies bought Malibu's in 80's and they all came with tie downs.With MC'S attention to detail this just surprised me, don't get me wrong I'll take my MC over a Malibu any day. Your idea might be the easy fix for me!

ON that note, the latest MC owners manuals actually stress that you must tie down the transom for towing as well.(and have the tie down provisions included)
NOT something I'd seen in the past.

ktn_cmu
11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
That's not an accident, thats was a amature attempt to make an amphi-truck...he was just driving down to the launch...ha ha ha Glastron Ranger, Ford Carlson, Fordtron Ranson...

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Ric, as far as my 1993 manual is concerned, everybody's got a boat lift. Trailer isn't referenced that I can see.

Leec
11-19-2004, 04:48 PM
If you read the small print on the warning lables above the rings on the back of the boat they clearly say not to be used for prolonged lifting. Now with that being said I think these are suppose to be used for a boat lift to lift the boat off the trailer and then place in the water. They can't use a strap that goes under the hull in the rear of the boat. Most of these inboards have a bow and two stern lifting rings. This was how my boat was done in the '60's at the San Jacinto River. We didn't have a boat ramp but a circle we drove under the lift and it was picked up and placed in the water. I personally have used the strap and the rings on the sides of the trailer to hold my boat in place.

:smile:

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Although I don't have that warning label, Lee, I believe you're right. You can lift the boat using these doohickies, but it's not intended for long-term storage lifting. I believe the nautiques are the only ones designed to be stored long term by lifting on the rings (what a terrible sentence).

jimmer2880
11-22-2004, 06:53 AM
one thing to remember..... The lifting rings are just that - lifting rings. They are not designed for side to side support. Please don't tie down to the lifting rings.

I tie my 95 ps 190 down like many others... strap across the hull with socks to save the fiberglass.

JimN
11-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I think that if someone would call the company to ask if it's safe to tie a MC down to the trailer by the rings, they would say that it's OK. If the straps are tight and the boat tries to move laterally on the trailer, it's going to have to move vertically first. I have never seen cracking on the transom from being strapped down unless the rings were loose and could move.