PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Surging - help

PendO
08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Okay, so on the 197 it has PP dig pro 6.5ng, at slowere speeds, say 3000rpm it runs fine, but at 33mph or 3800rpms or greater, it does not hold constant speed or rpms smoothly, it will run up 100 rpms past, then fall back down 100 rpms below, and repeat over and over, so, I'm just driving by hand or having my driver pull me by hand ... the tech at PP suggested pulling a second ground wire from the PP module to the battery (-) ... anyone done this, can you tell me where on the PP module you went with the additional ground ... any other suggestions ...

PendO

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Pendo, my boat will do exact same thing at exactly 2,175 rpms, but nowhere else. It never did it before. I never even thought it might be a perfect pass created issue (and it might not be).

Does it do it if you turn PP off?

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
could it be the TBW

PendO
08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
it does not do it if you drive by hand ... I think it is a problem in the marriage of the drive by wire/throttle by wire and the PP module ... my 06 likely has the same PP setup as the late 05 models since it was delivered Sept. 2005 ... it did work correctly when I first got it

I want to rule out the "ground connection" but I am not sure where to mount a ground connection on the module:(

Pendo, my boat will do exact same thing at exactly 2,175 rpms, but nowhere else. It never did it before. I never even thought it might be a perfect pass created issue (and it might not be).

Does it do it if you turn PP off?

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Did you get the PP updates? I think there were close to 12 of 'em.

PendO
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Did you get the PP updates? I think there were close to 12 of 'em.

that is kinda why I emailed the guy at PP and asked about updates (and got the "check your ground connection" response) ... would I have to remove the PP chip and send it in for updates, or do they flash it at the dealership? Since it is not working properly now it is no big deal if I have to remove the chip?

Maybee if I stay a night at a Holiday Inn I can figure this stuff out:)

MYMC
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
What year is the boat?
I have heard the "ground" issue as the excuse a few times; however, with the software update the grounds fix themselves.:mad:

2005 - Software update (for surging, over ride, CS and others)
2006 - Software update (Trick issue/slow speed, surge without skier, jump program)
2007 - Waiting...with the new LY6 there has to be an issue...just has to.:confused:

PendO
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
What year is the boat?
I have heard the "ground" issue as the excuse a few times; however, with the software update the grounds fix themselves.:mad:

2005 - Software update (for surging, over ride, CS and others)
2006 - Software update (Trick issue/slow speed, surge without skier, jump program)
2007 - Waiting...with the new LY6 there has to be an issue...just has to.:confused:

Mike, it is an 06 197 1.26:1 MCX ... the build date was August 2005 ...

PendO
08-31-2006, 07:20 PM
my local service department got me the update from MasterCraft about the ground wire, has a pretty good picture by picture on how to install the ground wire, the dealership was more than willing to do it for me, and got the update for me very quick (so kudos to them) ... I'll try the ground wire this weekend and if it doesn't work then I will have them take a look at it on Monday when I take it in for the 20 hour service, sad, but summer will be over for me after this weekend:(

PendO
09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, they stole the "master module" out of a 197 on the floor ... took it to the water ... I now have a fully functioning PP unit;) (So I guess the software on my original module was not working ... as the ground wire update was done at the factory)

Also, replaced the ignition switch on warranty ... the key did not like to go in very easy.

And the depth finder that wasn't working when I took it in ... now it works again:)

dwe
09-16-2006, 04:21 AM
My '05 197 pp pulls fine in slalom mode, but surges in wakeboard mode. My dealer added the new chip, but it didn't really help. It actually starts out ok, but the more you run it, the more it surges. We are going to try adding a ground next. It will run at 22mph in rpm mode without surging though.

Kell
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
PendO, I'm glad to hear that your dealer was able to trouble shoot this and resolve it.;) However, I'm sorry to read that your summer is over. As you know, September is the best season in the NW. :D

PendO
09-16-2006, 11:21 AM
PendO, I'm glad to hear that your dealer was able to trouble shoot this and resolve it.;) However, I'm sorry to read that your summer is over. As you know, September is the best season in the NW. :D

Kell - yeah man, it was cold up there yesterday .... kicked my dad's boat off the lift and put mine up and his is in the garage, so I probably have a few weeks left before they draw the water down... they had no idea about the PP (hadn't told them until a week ago) as I was just running WB Pro in Wakeboard modeand didn't want to bring the boat home for a weekend ... actually, after soaking the boats to start the season the guys at A.H. have been great !!!!! Figured I should get the boat working properly before I filled out my JD Power and Assoc. survey:)

They are starting to draw the water down so I will keep checking the website to make sure I have enough water to float is off. http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nws/hh/basins/pend.html

DWE ... the update for the PP (the # of the update) sounds like it would be the place to start ... based on your hull ID # MC can tell if both parts of the update need to be done ... add the ground wire, unplug the throttle override (I think that is what it is called) behind the armrest near the throttle ... if I go to the water I will bring the 4 sheets of paper explaining the update and send you a PM