PDA

View Full Version : FFFFFFFFFFF Fuel Pump

PendO
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, I will add some pictures later when I get home, but the fuel pump on our 04 went out on Saturday ... now, those of you who have pulled the fuel pump assembly out of the tank ... you know those 4 nuts (with the washers built in) that attatch the "cage" to the mounting plate (which has the allen heads into the fuel tank) ... anyway, 3 of those nuts were in the bottom of the tank, one of them was at the bottom of the cage sitting on top of the fuel pump ...

1. How do 4 nuts like that come loose
3. How do 3 fall outside the cage [the same way fuel can bypass the fule filter - nice)

Having never pulled the assembly out until yesterday I have heard a lot of people say to not run the tank below 1/2 ... hell, now I am afraid to fill it over 3/4 as that is what will float the crap into the cage ... yes, we did find a few tank shavings in the cage area.

Needless to say, the new pump was ordered and should be overnighted here tomorrow, along with the clamp I lost on the fuel dampner (on the fuel rail of the L-18 between where the high pressure line attatches to the block and the first injector) ... I know where my clip is (15' below water), but I had to order the "kit" from a local gm dealer.

PendO

Ric
08-28-2006, 04:02 PM
jeez man! I had the fuel filter out of an 00 190 but never the new one, I wonder if they are a new design

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
pic 1 .......................... here is what it looks like when you take the fuel pump assembly out of a V drive

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:13 PM
pic 2 ................................ looking down into the "cage"

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
pic 3 ................. here are the nutz that were not on ... there are 4 studs on the metal plate that bolt into the fuel tank, the nuts should connect the cage to the plate ... should is the key word.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-28-2006, 11:17 PM
pic 3 didn't show.........;)

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Pic 4 ... here is what it looks like assembled ... notice all the air space that fuel can actually enter into the cage without having to go through the filter, which is on the very bottom of the cage ... we have put the 4 nutz back on, three from the bottom of the fuel tank, 1 from the bottom of the cage ... then we pressure tested (after doing a test with the mulitimeter on the wiring harness to check for power) .. no pressure whatsoever, the pump makes/made a noise, but it was a different than the noise made in the other boat or in the neighbors mc

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Pic 5 ... so, you are looking at an assembled but broken fuel pump, must be clogged with shavings or have an impeller that is toasted ... either way the new pump will be here tomorrow

Kell
08-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks for posting some pictures of the fuel pump PendO. After reading all the post about these pumps I was curious as to what the innards looked like.

PendO
08-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks for posting some pictures of the fuel pump PendO. After reading all the post about these pumps I was curious as to what the innards looked like.

NP man, I am still trying to figure out why they tell you to not let it get below 1/2 tank, with all the gaps in the upper 1/4 of the assembly it seems like it should be the other way around ... the fuel filter is on the bottom of the assembly and just snaps in (two tabs on the bottom of the cage) ... I'll take a picture when I change my ff before seasons end.

Ric
08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
ok did anyone ever get a clear answer on if the GM fuel pump parts are ok or not to use in this assembly?

ntidsl
08-29-2006, 07:02 AM
well...I'm there with you, but I totally got blew off about the fuel tank shavings in the cage...you know the problems I had...I made them put a new tank in and a new pump...and new lines, but I think they skipped that step...I still have my shavings but nobody ever seemed to care...pendo...keep us all informed if you actually get the new pump and if the new one fits perfect...I got a new one and the hole pattern was off by about a 1/4 inch. Master craft told me to just force it in...lol...when my 12 oclock allen screws were in the 6 oclock screws werew off 1/4 inch...they expected me to either stretch the metal plate or squeeze the plasic tank together...it wasnt happening...also i asked if it was important to get the allen screws in at 45 inch pounds like i heard someone here say before...they said not to worry about it...i just felt like they wanted me to half a** it...

people ask me all the time...why do you want to sell that boat so bad even though its running so good now and its soooo sexy looking...i decline to answer that question and just refer to the taste in my mouth...I don't want to bash anyone but the whole thing was just screwed up...

good luck pendo...after messing with the pump and tank for a while it seems like an easy job...if you need a torque wrench with inch pounds I have one I can send you...i have your address...you just send it back when you are done...let me know...

Leroy
08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
:eek: The fule pumps really need some attention. This has got to be the #1 complaint on here across all MC's.

PendO
08-29-2006, 10:33 AM
good luck pendo...after messing with the pump and tank for a while it seems like an easy job...if you need a torque wrench with inch pounds I have one I can send you...i have your address...you just send it back when you are done...let me know...

It is amazing that you need a torque wrench to tighten it back together, I mean we just used a driver with the correct size tip to remove it :) (heavy sarcasm) Thanks for the tool offer Doug! [they were definitely not at 45lbs when we removed them - but I hope that pattern is correct - fingers crossed)

This boat has 250+ hours on it, so I should fee lucky or something.

At the end of the season we will likely siphon out the gas and try and see what is in the bottom ... thing is it is 1/2 full with 30 gallons of fuel, and that is a lot of lawn mowing.

ntidsl
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I said inch pounds not foot lbs...

ntidsl
08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
its too make sure you dont overtighten or undertighten...i would think it was very important..most people associated with the fuel pump problem said...."aww no big deal..."

PendO
08-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I said inch pounds not foot lbs...

thanks, missed that the first time

ntidsl
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
i found it was very helpful having the torque wrench...but then i had other problems too...lol...so the boat didnt run anyway...bummer...who diagnosed your problem?

PendO
08-29-2006, 10:50 AM
i found it was very helpful having the torque wrench...but then i had other problems too...lol...so the boat didnt run anyway...bummer...who diagnosed your problem?

Dad and I diagnosed ... new pump is supposed to be here by 10am today so we will head up and swap it out ... my new F-dampner clip should be here tomorrow, so we will substitute wire instead of a clamp to water test, I'll def. let everyone know:)

ntidsl
08-29-2006, 11:02 AM
good luck...i hope its just the pump bud...if not start checking wiring...main harness wiring...cool?!? hey did the girls like the lights?

PendO
08-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Doug, the Kichler lights are great, the girls love them and we can actually walk around the cabin at night ... thanks again:)

PendO
08-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Just got back from the water ... put the new fuel pump in ... took about 30 minutes, started right up ... the new pump has a different style of high pressure line between the pump and the top of the housing (is that the regulator) ... anyway, the new hose is like one of those bendable straws so there is no issue with kinking it, the old hose was a bit long if you ask me, and the nuts that go onto the posts (the ones that fell off on our old pump) the new nutz do not have washers built in, but they do appear to be a different design almost like a locking nut feature built in ... so I will give a thanks to our service department for getting the part ordered yesterday and having it delivered today, and letting us borrow the tool to remove the high pressure line from the pump assembly ... the boat is ready for the weekend and I think we are going to order an extra pump to have on hand since both of our neighbors have MC's, somebody else's is bound to have issues:)