PDA

View Full Version : Stains in driveway

bfinley
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a rental property that has some severe oil stains on the concrete driveway. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for removing these stains??

Brandon

88 PS190
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Well I have a few.

One that works is simple green, but that's better before the stains sit.

There's also brake cleaner but you'll use alot before you get the driveway clean.

There's this stuff by Castrol called superclean. We used that in our garage and it worked really well. Do not know if it will work on a rougher/ more porous external concrete surface, but it should do something.

We own numerous old diesels, and they do make a mess.

TMCNo1
08-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Mineral Spirits paint thinner to desolve it, then wash it down with a good degreaser!

chudson
08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
This one is just a thought cause I've never done it but put some bleach on the spot and scrub with a push broom then rinse. You may want to try a small spot in a corner or you may end up with a white spot in the middle of the drive then have to do the whole thing. Like I said just a thought!

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
try oil flo...

http://www.titanlabs.net/oilflo.htm

Hoff1
08-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Muriatic Acid works. I believe it's used as a pool cleaner sometimes (or maybe back in the lawn dart days). I found some in my old house when we moved in. It definitely cleaned our driveway.

6ballsisall
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a rental property that has some severe oil stains on the concrete driveway. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for removing these stains??

Brandon

Muriatic acid will do the job. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT! it is HIGHLY toxic and WILL burn you badly.

Hoff1
08-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Muriatic acid will do the job. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT! it is HIGHLY toxic and WILL burn you badly.

Hence my lawn dart comment. You might want to talk to a pool supplies place to get something that won't overclean spots on your driveway.

6ballsisall
08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Hence my lawn dart comment. You might want to talk to a pool supplies place to get something that won't overclean spots on your driveway.

Oops! Didn't see your post before I posted. FWIW, I used muriatic on my driveway a while back to give some mud stains off that nothing else could take off. Believe you me when I tell you it took it off almost instantly!!! That is some STRONG stuff. BTW, you can buy it at Lowes.

bfinley
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I believe muriatic acid is the same thing that's in hull cleaner. Strong stuff indeed.

6ballsisall
08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I believe muriatic acid is the same thing that's in hull cleaner. Strong stuff indeed.

Thats why I bought it in the 1st place. It worked very well. Wear eye protection and thick chemical gloves though. One drop touching your skin will leave a mark.

bobbyB
08-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Oil Eater......you can get it at Costco. I keep finding more and more uses for this product. Pretty good schmit.

B

TMCNo1
08-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Always check the label on commercially available products. You may be surprised what you read. Our Ace Hardware store has a oil/grease remover for concrete drives and garages @ $4.29 a quart = $17.16 a gallon. I read the label and it said, "Mineral Spirits, Coloring and Fragrance"! Mineral spirits is $2.49 a gallon???????????????????????? I keep 4 gallons around for thinning my paints and the used thinner, I use to kill weeds in unwanted areas.

Maristar210
08-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Muriatic Acid works. I believe it's used as a pool cleaner sometimes (or maybe back in the lawn dart days). I found some in my old house when we moved in. It definitely cleaned our driveway.

Muriatic Acid will turn the spot as white as your sunday shirt. You will go from a oil spot to a white spot. I have had sucess diluting it with water and then increasing the dilution rate intil to cleans the oil spot. Remember you do not want to etch the concrete and leave it pourous either.

Steve

PendO
08-28-2006, 05:15 PM

Brandon

I had some on my folks driveway, bought a product at an Ace Hardware, it was a paste type product that you squeezed out of a bottle, let it sit on the stain for a while then wash away with water, actually worked pretty well.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Muriatic Acid works. I believe it's used as a pool cleaner sometimes
It lowers the PH and total alkalinity of water and is used (diluted) to clean scale buildup.
A.K.A= Hydrochloric Acid

SkiDog
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM

Hell, Bill, TMC#1 used to drink the stuff back in the day! But had to quit, said it caused him to have gas!

slink976
08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
okay did not read all the replies here so forgive me if i repeat.

Muratic acid ... you can get it at any pool store pour it on brush it with a broom. rinse it off. Takes about 5 minutes total!

PS. works great on garffetti too, punk kids!